• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil change

Pinkie

Pumping pedals on diesels BEFORE cranking does nothing. On my Internationals you are suppose to hold the gas pedal down 1/2 way above 40 degrees and all the way down under 40. I have never understood this. Mine always start right up with NO pedal. So does my deuce. I do not like to start motors with any throttle because of no oil pressure.

ida34

jasonjc said:
??what does pumping the pedal twice do???
On most gas engines with carburetors there is a small pump inside the carb called an accelerator pump. When the pedal is depressed a shot of raw fuel is sent down the throat of the carb. This bypasses the normal jetting. Without the extra shot of fuel the carb will go lean and stumble before the airflow goes up and the main jets start giving more fuel. Most real old gassers need a few pumps of the raw fuel to get going. I had an old dodge that needed a minimum of 10 pumps before it would fire in cold weather. Putting the pedal down once also sets the automatic choke on carbs with auto chokes. Pumping does nothing in fuel injection systems either gas or diesel. If the engine is cranking in an injection engine without the engine firing you can flood it very quickly on a gasser engine. I don't know what it would do in a diesel. I suspect pumping is not a good idea.