• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil everywhere..anyone in dfw wanna help?

Didn't start it for a month charged batteries started it up and the giant mess that you see. Anyone locally wanna come trouble shoot? Really needs 2 people and be nice to have someone who actually knows what their doing lol.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

74M35A2

You had a second person there in the third pic.....? Just have somebody start it for 3 seconds and looky where it is coming from. Doesn't look like it will be hard to find. Looks like NHC 250 engine.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'd say check the oil cooler(just above alt), I can't think of anything else on that side of the motor.

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say check the oil cooler(just above alt), I can't think of anything else on that side of the motor

I was thinking the same unless it is coming out the over flow on coolant tank. Like the oil cooler went out internally and the oil PSI is coming out the coolant cap.

datadawg

Didn't start it for a month charged batteries started it up and the giant mess that you see. Anyone locally wanna come trouble shoot? Really needs 2 people and be nice to have someone who actually knows what their doing lol.
View attachment 600080
You need Dexter, the blood spatter analyst from the Showtime series to trouble shoot origin of where that splatter emanated!! Sorry, I know you are probably miserable, I am not trying to make fun of a crappy situation.

Plane Fast

LOL. Looks like my first oil change on the M930a1. Missed the bucket by two feet!

I would have to say, it should be easy to find once you start cleaning up the engine. If that much oil came out in a short time, the hole is big and under good pressure. So engine oil cooler is my bet.

This is the oil cooler.image.jpg Right above your alternator.

Here are some external oil lines you could check as well. (Left side under the oil filter)image.jpg

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All joking aside, I have seen that pattern before.

I purchased a spin-on oil filter kit to replace the canister style. I removed the canister and the base making sure the large seal came off with the base. What I missed was that someone at some point had left an old one in there and then also installed a new one, so there were effectively 2 seals in there. I removed one but installed the new spin-on base with the new seal, inadvertently putting two seals back in place. This worked fine with the original base as it covered both seals. The new base didn't though, which left no side support for the new seal. The only thing holding it was the clamping force from the bolt.

After I was done with the install and added the new oil I started the truck and watched the oil pressure gauge until it reached operating pressure. This took about 10 seconds. I then jumped out to check for leaks and landed in a river of oil. The now unsupported seal had immediately failed with the new base in place and had dumped about 3 gallons of oil in 15 seconds. This was no fault of the spin-on filter kit.

Most of the oil on the ground landed directly beneath the truck in a puddle. Some sprayed up and hit the power steering pulley which them slung it into the fan. The result was the pattern I see in your picture...large puddle under the truck, dripping oil on the passenger side, and splatter on the ground on the driver side. There was almost no splatter on the passenger side. It had hit the top of the hood and dripped down over there like in your pictures. The only difference being that mine was new oil from the oil change.

If that seal behind the filter base fails, massive oil loss will ensue whether it's the original base or not.

If I'm not mistaken, there are also two oil lines that run beneath the filter that could also spray in that direction and give the same result.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That much oil on the ground will require the appropriate EPA petro-chemical spill reporting.
That oil looks like it needed changing anyway, I have the spin on oil filter adapter kits listed in the classified, perfect time to upgrade the filter.
Keep us posted.

Spiralout

You just got that thing :sad:

How long can it stay where it is? I'm tied up through the holidays with work and family coming from out of town. I'm not sure how much help I'd be since I'm fairly new at the 5-ton game myself, but I think I remember from our PBN days that we're only an hour or two apart.

Ford Mechanic

That much oil on the ground will require the appropriate EPA petro-chemical spill reporting.
That oil looks like it needed changing anyway, I have the spin on oil filter adapter kits listed in the classified, perfect time to upgrade the filter.
Keep us posted.
EPA spill report requirement is 10 gallons, so he's ok as long as he used proper spill containment methods.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks