• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Leak

Florida9

Hello everyone i am new here and i need a bit of help i think i have a M1008 it is a 1985 Chevy Military Truck 6.2L Diesel i bought the truck about 4 days ago and have had nothing but problem i did a oil change and everything anyways i took it out mudding today with some friends and the oil light came on and i just thought it got wet so i was on the way home and the truck shut off and there was oil everywhere coming from the driver side of the engine any idea where it would be leaking from i checked the oil filter and plug on the oil pan and they are fine

JUNKYARDJOHN

This is a joke right??? Oil is KINDA IMPORTANT. It keeps all those little parts sliding off of each other. Two or three quarts of miracle oil stop leak will probably fix your problem......(AVAVAILABLE AT ANY REPUTIBLE WAL-MART) & pay no attention to those "idiot" lights in your dash.... just drive her till she seizes.:roll::cookoo: John

get some engine degreaser, and clean the engine and engine bay. refill your motor with oil and IF it still runs, check for leaks when you start it. Start with the basics. Check your oil line fittings right below the oil filter, check your oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, front main, rear main seals....basically check ANYTHING that flows or seals oil from other components. And if you're lucky enough that you didnt seize your motor, in the future, STOP what you're doing if you see an idiot light come on the dash. If you're beating up the truck off road, odds are you knocked something loose under there. The lights come on FOR A REASON...

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was there any indication of a leak, minor or major, when you changed the oil "and everything"?

NICK_M1009

This might help, and it might not...

Last year my 09 didnt leak a drop. I stored it during winter and recently got it back out. I changed the oil, and a few days later it started to leak out the back of the oil pan. So, I pulled the oil pan off, took the oil pump off and the rear main cap for the crank off and found the rear main seal was destroyed.. Put a new main seal on, and oil pan gasket and it dont leak a drop now.:mrgreen:

Like stated above, clean the motor and run it again. Look for leaks. I hope it's not the same problem I had. Hope it starts and that the motor is not bad from running it with no oil... Good luck.

chief1983

Just for posterity, a rear main seal can be caused by a failing CDR, and also fixed by cleaning/replacing the CDR, if the seal isn't shot. If it's coming from the driver's side though, it's probably not a rear main leak right?

DokWatson

The engine is seized...you ran it out of oil. Sounds like you blew an oil cooler line.

The only cure is a new engine.

Its a pretty basic rule when out wheeling or driving anywhere really... when warning signs make themselves known (Lights, sounds, smells...anything not 'right') you PMCS the vehicle before continuing.

Last edited:

Florida9

Well i went back and looked at it this morning and i found the oil cooler line was cut by the frame and the engine is some how not seized i put oil in it and it fired right up so now i have to find out where to get another line

DokWatson

I clearly stated the seal was shot...:roll:

But, a oil cooler line makes more sense.
Well i went back and looked at it this morning and i found the oil cooler line was cut by the frame and the engine is some how not seized i put oil in it and it fired right up so now i have to find out where to get another line
Like I said...cooler line. Sounds you got lucky, its usually ends up bad when cooler lines pop.

kipman

I could be wrong, but your oil lines I think are under warranty due to a recall, covers 84 and 86 trucks, call a GM dealer.

chief1983

Nick, I wasn't making any argument about what you said, just adding clarification in case some forum searcher ran across this thread. Or if the OP figures out his rear main was also leaking, he might not need to replace his if it's not shot.

Well you got lucky Florida! I guess you can chalk it up to a lesson learned-PAY ATTENTION to the IDIOT lights!! [thumbzup] Now you just need to find another line (maybe napa can fab one for ya, or you can get the GM number for that particular line out of the TM's and head to your dealer) and get back out on the road! :driver:

rnd-motorsports

Like docwatson said YOU GOT LUCKY!! [thumbzup] cooler line breaks and you still drive normally ends with seizure! or at least spun bearing keep an eye on it once you replace line may still find it hurt it.

NICK_M1009

Nick, I wasn't making any argument about what you said, just adding clarification in case some forum searcher ran across this thread. Or if the OP figures out his rear main was also leaking, he might not need to replace his if it's not shot.
Sorry, was not in a good mood yesterday and it's not your fault. Again sorry for making a fuss...