• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leaking from turbo

stb64

Originally Posted by stb64
It helps for sure, but there is a small mistake:
It's 3lm39, not 3LM319

And: Schwitzer 4-450 for the early LDS 427-2
You may have to do a little research on this, I Googled both turbo numbers and got hits on both. Maybe a phone call to these folks might answer your questions: http://www.turbochargerpros.com/
I did a little research, as You said, I'm not done yet, but this is what i found for so far: By googleing 3LM39, i found that this turbo was used on 2-1/2 ton multifuel trucks.
(I knew that already, because every non-whistler i have removed from a 465 engine had that model number on the data plate.)

By googleing 3LM319, i found that this model designation, yes it does exist (didn't know that), but found no evidence about this model ever beeing used on LDT 465 engines.

I also re-read WSUCOUGARX' excellent thread, and found this:
JasonS

Originally Posted by JCKnife
Hmm, J&H Diesel is saying they DO have a rebuild kit for a D turbo (Schwitzer 3LM-319)

Not sure if you made a typo but a D turbo is Schwitzer 3LM-39
So now that i have learned about the 3LM319 turbo, What does it look like? Can you maybe post a picture of turbo and data plate? Is there any TM, TB, TACOM letter,or other documentation showing it was used on 465 multifuel engines?
I would really like to be able to add that info to my collection.

Thanks, Steve

cev65

Turbo still leaking oil!!

Rebuilt turbo and still have a oil leak out of exhaust side. Any ideas??? How much oil preasure should I have when first starting?? I have 80-90 lbs. thinking it might be to much.

Attachments

stb64

I had leaks looking exacly like that, even on non-turbo trucks. It was unburned fuel condensating in the exhaust system from idleing the engine too much, and leaking from the joints.
The problem disappeared after driving the trucks regularly over longer distances.

FloridaAKM

The manifold leak looks like mine, just a weep or a level 1 leak, normal. The oil pressure seems a bit high, but that shows a tight engine to what I know. These trucks are rode hard & put up wet. Its like a good Harley bike, if it is not leaking something, its not running. As long as its not leaking blood, I'm happy ( the blood will be mine). When it stops leaking, check your fluids levels now!

sandcobra164

My oil pressure is about the same when cold at idle. It'll almost hit 120 psi when cold and I have verified correct sending unit and gauge. Mine does leak oil from the right front of the block and head junction. It provides rustproofing of the block that way and does not hurt performance so far. The drop pattern on the exhaust side of the turbo indicates a drip from a higher level such as from the intake. Oil from the exhaust side would not ¨stack up¨ outside of the gasket from the exhaust side but I could be wrong. I'd be surprised but I think with the viscosity of hot oil, if you had an exhaust gasket leak, you'd have carbon trace leaks but not built up oil coking on the outside of the turbo..

cev65

I know the oils is coming out of exhaust manifold. Just had turbo off to rebuild it thinking the oil was coming from the turbo but after seeing this tonight I realize the oil is comin from the manifold which good into the exhaust side of the turbo.

cev65

Sitting here thinking I am running a high percentage of used motor oil as fuel right now is it possible that this is just unburnt fuel (oil)??

rustystud

Rebuilt turbo and still have a oil leak out of exhaust side. Any ideas??? How much oil preasure should I have when first starting?? I have 80-90 lbs. thinking it might be to much.
When you first start up your oil pressure can get to about 50 to 60 psi, but there is a regulator there which brings it to 30psi . If your over that pressure by 50 to 60 psi then you regulator is not working and you need to fix it. The only part of the truck that has that high of pressure is the oil filter and oil cooling area. It has straight pump pressure. The regulator is underneath the turbo on the side of the block.

cev65

What's that cost??? I have bout 45 lbs of pressure at running temp. I am also running 15w-40 in it with some Lucas. I'm just thinking the oil is to thick.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It can be hard to pin point some of the problems I see people have with their trucks on here. I also run 15w-40 with lucas and I have about 65 PSI oil pressure at 2200. Idle is about 40.

Is your leak a fuel leak or an oil leak? Is it a wet stacking thing or an actual leak? I would clean the area real good with degreaser and then look at it and see if you can see where the oil is coming from. That would be a good place to start if you are not sure where the oil is coming from.