• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Leaks

davidkroberts

i dont see a problem its a 40 year old military vehicle with old gaskets. Just check the oil before you use it and do your PM checks as per the TM Lube Schedule. If you start running around fixing every little thing your going to drive yourself nuts.

chicklin

1. That's a strange one. My guess is the slobber tube dripping down on it, maybe at road speeds.
2. Bad seals at the base of the filter housings. Those will get replaced when you change the filters. Be sure not to over-tighten the housing bolt or it will cut the seals.
3. Tighten that coupling, but my guess is that is dripping from people taking the dipstick in and out.
4. That gasket probably needs replaced or the bolts tightened down, at least.

chicklin

Yeah, I don't see any emergencies. A couple of them are easy fixes, though, so I'd at least give it an attempt. I'm kind of anal-retentive about leaks b/c I don't like the mess on the driveway. On the other hand, it just comes with the territory.

Flyingvan911

When you change your oil and filters, follow the TM and that should take care of the oil canister leak. Most deuces leak a tiny bit here and there. As lond as it doesn't leave huge puddles on the ground, just check the levels periodicly. If you want to stop them, go one at a time. As davidkroberts said, don't drive yourself crazy. None of those leaks is very bad. They are just a slight eye sore and parts to tinker on.

91W350

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if its just a nuisance or a "omg fix it now" problem

If it drips a few drops out of the slobber tube, no biggie. It it seeps around a few small gaskets or seals, no biggie. If it starts making a puddle when you park it, try to solve that. My 72 was incredibly dry, but if you got the wind and rpm just right, it would drip out of the slobber tube onto the front differential Glen

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM's address classes of leaks in the PMCS section. In general if it's weeping or slight seepage of oil, it's no big deal. As long as it doesn't form drops, it can wait. You shouldn't have any leakage from the brake lines though.

chicklin

That looks like a rear dif to me. Don't think it would be the slobber tube.
Good call, didn't notice the dogbone over to the right. So, maybe a pinion seal leak from the front of the diff running down to that area on the bottom? Then again, with these axles being top-loading, maybe that's not likely. Hope he doesn't have a crack in the housing.

Olywadan

I have most of the TMs saved on the computer. I just don't know where to look for half this stuff. Can someone point me to the right one?

Also, crawled underneath today and noticed this one too. How I didn't notice it before got me. There is a threaded whole in the middle that looks like a bolt is supposed to be there. Is there supposed to be one?

Attachments

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have most of the TMs saved on the computer. I just don't know where to look for half this stuff. Can someone point me to the right one?

Also, crawled underneath today and noticed this one too. How I didn't notice it before got me. There is a threaded whole in the middle that looks like a bolt is supposed to be there. Is there supposed to be one?
That hole is just the bellhousing drain, the plug (for fording) should be in the other spot next to it.
Lube order is # 9-2320-209-12-1
Sched Maint is # 9-2320-209-10-2

Those are both good ones.
I would look above & forward of that "rear of engine leak" to see where it started.

Olywadan

The tops of the old filters are all smashed in and warped. Over tightening? And the new filter (wix 51133) came with two gaskets, a bigger one and a smaller one. I used the bigger one that matched the old gasket. Is the 2nd smaller one for anything?

Attachments

chicklin

I think they come with multiple gaskets for different applications. The two times I've done it, I just used everything in the box that actually fit. There isn't really any place to install the "extra" stuff, so it should be self-explanatory.

Yes, those look over-tightened.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks