• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Leaks

DieselBob

The tops of the old filters are all smashed in and warped.
Holy Crap :shock:

I don't pretend to be a expert on this stuff but with the correct filters and the spring and cup installed correctly how can you do this to the filters just by over tightening the bolt without crushing the cans first ?

Attachments

Last edited:

Heavysteven

If you let the cans turn when you tighten down the filter the cup and spring can jam. This would cause the spring to crush the filters. Ask me how I know this....

That hole on the bottom behind the engine I would spray break cleaner in there. All that oil can cause your clutch to slip.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That hole on the bottom behind the engine I would spray break cleaner in there. All that oil can cause your clutch to slip.
I'm not sure that the oil came out of the drain hole. A lot of it looks to be forward (engine side) of the bell housing. I'm use to the oil getting blown back and coating the bottom of the tranny + things farther back. I would think that the oil is coming from somewhere high up on the rear/side of the engine.

We did have a tranny that drained it's excess out the bell housing and major clutch slipping. It don't do that now ;)

Heavysteven

As I understand it's common for the rear main seal to leak oil. It then travels down past the clutch out that drain hole. Also if a deuce is run at high rpm it will cause the same issue.

A simple way of know would be to remove that inspection plate.

RANDYDIRT

Rear Axle

The crap on your rear axle is coming from in front of it somewhere. It's kinda like a blood splatter, it's more intense the closer to the wound and then thins out as you go further away. If the rear axle was seeping, it would have a more uniform coverage I would think.

Dirt

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy Crap :shock:

I don't pretend to be a expert on this stuff but with the correct filters and the spring and cup installed correctly how can you do this to the filters just by over tightening the bolt without crushing the cans first ?

Lots of good advise, not much to add, just don't turn the filter canisters when tightening and torque to 60-70 ft-lb. If over torqued, the threaded inserts in the casting may come loose.

Attachments

dabtl

This is a good time to replace those old oil filters with spin on filters. I have the jatonak spin on oil filters on both of my deuces. They have performed flawlessly.