• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OK... I admit it... that first step in the M925A1 is a Bit%$ .. what have others done

scootertrs

OK... I admit it... that first step in the M925A1 is a Bit%$ ... what have others done? Just got this thing... and during breakfast I was telling my wife... I must have pulled something... to which she replied... did you pick up anything heavy? I replied... the paper this morning, it was full of BS, but it was not that heavy... it was all hot and airy and sh*t...

After breakfast, I went back to the new affair I have going... my M925A1... and as I climbed in to check spacing for an a/c unit I wish to install, ... all of the sudden I realized the reason for my "pulled something"

That SOB has to be 1 foot taller than my deuce and me being a misinformed 60 yoa (means I think I am 25) been climbing in and out like a monkey with a new coconut. And the passenger side seems to be even tougher to get in.

I know there are others like me that can do the climb in and out of the 900 series trucks, but at a price. I just realized that if I keep doing this, it will limit my enjoyment of the new acquisition./.. (like putting a stock helper recoil pad on a 308 H&K) Once I did it, my accuracy went up 50% and my enjoyment went up 500%.

I would really like something that works almost invisibly - may be old, but still proud... (I had a Ford 150 one time that was jacked up to the heavens and it had a retractable-spring loaded- additional step)

I don't want to have someone embarrass themselves in front of the rest of the other OD Green addicts, so if you want to pm me, feel free. I am just afraid that this is taking away from my enjoyment, and I am not going to let it.

Thank you all for your input... that little "reach the shelf helper stool" I stole from my wife is totally "uncool"

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife has a hard time, we were debating a pull out step like on a motorhome. Paint it ODG and attach to the bottom on each side. Almost invisible when not in use. I have to put one on both sides because she drives sometimes too. At least thats my excuse.

Scarecrow1

I like Steve,s Idea it looks cool and folds up out of the way. At 56 and disabled it isn't a baby step for me either. I wondered why my shoulder hurt me after first getting my 923A1. It didn't take long to realize why when like you I went to pull my self back up in it 10 or 12 times one day. I had part of that shoulder cut out due to a bad wreck and a failed spinal surgery the next year. So needless to say there are times I really have to be careful getting in and out. It is the main reason I drive the 5 tons because of ease of operation with the power steering and the auto trans. But back to the topic How about the steps that are on the back of the tail gate . If you hit something and bent the crap out of it you still haven't lost much and two bolts it's off. Getting old is defiantly not for sissies :)

SteveKuhn

Gotta credit Wheelspinner with the RV step idea. I just found the pi'cher.

However, I've gotta retract in favor of a stirrup step. I looked at the step, then back at the truck picture above and thought, "OK. Now I'm up there. How in the DEVIL am I gonna retract the step."

One of these would probably work with a little imagination on fitting it to each side's metal work. I've seen 1 and 2 step versions.

Here's another version I have on my Econoline. Full disclosure: I'm 61 and putting off knee replacement, so I'm down with all this. Just thinking about how to make it look like a field mod. For me, the stirrup is it. Think of the bumper stirrups, just without the hinge.

Steve

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't want to have someone embarrass themselves in front of the rest of the other OD Green addicts, so if you want to pm me, feel free. I am just afraid that this is taking away from my enjoyment, and I am not going to let it.

Thank you all for your input... that little "reach the shelf helper stool" I stole from my wife is totally "uncool"
Paint her helper stool OD green.

goldneagle

I have seen an RV bus that had a motorized step that came out when the driver opened the door. I am sure they are available for purchase if you have the deep pockets for the cost involved. I know this is extreme but it is an option.

scootertrs

She is already griping about greasy palm prints... Paint it OD green? I better get my own! I still have to get it back into the truck when I am in it (unless I wasnt a takeoff and landing crew wherever I go)... in uniform? maybe in miniskirts and a hat? yeah, no...
Paint her helper stool OD green.

USMC4302

For me, now that I've passed the Mid Century mark, I've had to admit to myself that if I want to stay active with my farming and large old trucks, I had to stop taking my body (and fitness) for granted. I've put down the beers and started doing a daily 60-minute workout on the rowing machine (with warmup/down stretching on either end). I'm watching my diet, too.

I have a friend who is 91. He just last year (at 90 years old) decided to give up his CDL. It can be done. But the more you give in, the more you have to give up.

scootertrs

did a cursory search on ebitch and they oscillate somewhere netween 599 to 899... cannot go there. Anyway, looking for something mechanically simple... like 2 hanging chains with a piece of pipe inbetween. (some of my "high rise wheel loaders have that setup" to assist in the climb)

I have seen an RV bus that had a motorized step that came out when the driver opened the door. I am sure they are available for purchase if you have the deep pockets for the cost involved. I know this is extreme but it is an option.

scootertrs

I agree, I put in about 35-45 minutes on an elliptical trainer at a high setting, and do some light weights 5-6 times a week... still, time keeps on ticking... I ride my bikes, but now mostly I ride the old Indian or Harley and leave the crotch rocket for my sons. I fractured my T-8 vertebra and never been the same since... As far as diet goes, I carry my dietician in my stomach... eat what I should not, ... it will be **** to pay... This getting old bitch sucks, but at least for now, it beats the alternative...

For me, now that I've passed the Mid Century mark, I've had to admit to myself that if I want to stay active with my farming and large old trucks, I had to stop taking my body (and fitness) for granted. I've put down the beers and started doing a daily 60-minute workout on the rowing machine (with warmup/down stretching on either end). I'm watching my diet, too.

I have a friend who is 91. He just last year (at 90 years old) decided to give up his CDL. It can be done. But the more you give in, the more you have to give up.

Last edited:

mcmullag

a couple in our 4x4 club has a four legged step stool on a rope that the wife uses to get in her side and then pulls it up by the rope.
I go to the gym on the weekends and watch what I eat, in the office they ask us to do 'ergonomics' twice a day as a group and we stretch out,
it wakes ya up and helps your joints and keeps ya limber. I figure I gotta lift weights to play with this big stuff.

scootertrs

What is ergonomics? I thought that was a mattress?

a couple in our 4x4 club has a four legged step stool on a rope that the wife uses to get in her side and then pulls it up by the rope.
I go to the gym on the weekends and watch what I eat, in the office they ask us to do 'ergonomics' twice a day as a group and we stretch out,
it wakes ya up and helps your joints and keeps ya limber. I figure I gotta lift weights to play with this big stuff.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I reverted back to CUCVs.
Quitter!!!!!:mrgreen:

I have the same issue with the M927......two knee surgeries to date on the clutch leg. So far I just bite the bullet as far as getting in and out. I have boost the Boss Lady into the passenger side. Not a pretty sight for a civilian.
I do use a step stool for climbing around the engine compartment and to get in and out of the bed. I love those super singles but they bring challenges with them.

scootertrs

I guess they don't make men like they used to... -:) we also were not designed to last as long... go figure!...BTW, the dietician took a day off this morning for breakfast... and guess what... I am paying dearly for it... it is now time for Plop Plop... Fizz Fizz and I hope it brings the advertised relief

Quitter!!!!!:mrgreen:

I have the same issue with the M927......two knee surgeries to date on the clutch leg. So far I just bite the bullet as far as getting in and out. I have boost the Boss Lady into the passenger side. Not a pretty sight for a civilian.
I do use a step stool for climbing around the engine compartment and to get in and out of the bed. I love those super singles but they bring challenges with them.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Are you sure you want to post this in open forum

350TacoZilla

They make a spring loaded step that simply folds back up when you step off it, they are usually for getting in the bed of a pickup but would probably be easy to adapt. I agree that the rv step would be easy mod but once in the truck the step would be hard to fold back up, this way it is tucked up almost out of sight until you put little weight on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks