• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ok - what size passenger vehicles fit in a M35 cargo bed?

Deuce-bigalo

Well, I was curious from those of you who have put your daily drivers in the back of a deuce - what doesn't fit? I am asking because if I buy one here before I move I have a 1978 Chevy Blazer 4x4 I would need to put into the Deuce. It is too wide for the deuce? I saw someone had a Jeep Cherokee back there - but where is the cut off?

If no one has tried to with a fullsize chevy, what are the dimensions of the cargo bed? I can then measure the tire to tire width of the Blazer.

I would have to take a Uhaul, a 2001 Chevy Suburban and this deuce when we move. I know for sure the Burb wouldn't fit.

Any help is appreciated!

John

Deuce-bigalo

I have heard that the bed width is 8 Feet. Is it actually 8 Feet? I will have to measure the Blazer and see....

John

mangus580

John, your blazer should fit just fine in width, length might be another issue. Overall width of a blazer is just shy of 82", overall length is about 192". Width of a deuce box is somwhere around 90+" but it is only 144" long.

Hope this helps....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to measure from the front bumper to about a 6" behind the rear tire. The blazer has a fair amount of overhang and might just fit if you put it on the bed fwd. Then the question arizes, how are you going to load it? Loading dock at both ends is best. WARNING, don't drive over the tailgate, they are weak.

Deuce-bigalo

Yeah, I am either looking to drive it when we move or have my father-in-law hold on to it here and ship or drive it after we settle in (if I get a deuce here in AZ.) With the Blazer having a 4" lift if there is overhang there should be no clearance issues for the cargo tailgate. I figured a loading dock at both ends and drive it on and off. Is there ample tie downs in bed for a 6000 pound Blazer? Also - I don't think it will make the deuce top heavy will it?

John

Desert Rat

You should be ok with the blazer. Just be sure to ratchet down from a forward area of the blazer to the rear of the bed as a preventive measure for sudden stops. You don't need to lose your head over a move! You need to have markers if the rear of the blazer sticks out over two feet from the end of the tailgate (red rags work well here).

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Duece B, A blazer with 4inch lift(i don't know what size tires) mabye too tall to go under most under passes. You would probally be better off towing it behind the duece. That way if you have trouble you'll have something to go get parts, fluids,etc

Deuce-bigalo

That's a thought Ken, I just don't know of any trailers you can rent which have a Pintle style connection. It only has 33" tires on it. I could always get stock tires & rims and throw those on it for the transport!

DR - Yeah, I thought about the tie down on the front end, back end and one from the front to the back to keep my 'head' on my shoulders.

Opie

Deuce-B,

Someone has a picture on the forum of a standard trailer hitch that they applied to the rear of a deuce. I think it went up within the last month or so.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just measured my bed for fitting my little jeep, 88 X 146.
Dennis

Last edited:

mangus580

Opie has a point... and if you are worried about 'defacing' the deuce, you could probably make one to fit it that will bolt right in place. I have seen somewhere that someone has used a Universal Reese brand hitch on the bottom of the deuce frame. OR!!!

:deal: you could.... make a towbar for the blazer... they tow AWESOME with a towbar, even with a lift and tires... then you could just use the deuce pintle! you might even be able to find a good bumper clamp towbar that would work on it.

btw... the blazer should be fine height wise... as the deuce bed is 4'... I doubt the blazer even with a 4" lift is anymore than 7.... that should get you under most bridges... [:)]

mangus580

Oh yeah... if you want, I can get a tape measure out tomorrow, and measure the M1009 and M35 up... side by side.. I do have that capability... [^] or I could just give it the ole [thumbzup] and decide for ya too...

rdixiemiller

Pop the driveshafts out of the blazer and drag it behind the deuce. I knocked out a lunette ring towbar for my Nissan PU in less than 2 hours so I could drag it back when I bought my deuce. Any welding shop can help you make it up, or a buddy who is decent with metal.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to concur with the towbar deal. In the future you might look into either putting a CUCV tow brackets on the front so that you can use the meduim military towbar or if you have a custom bumper, bolt on some shackle brackets. Use the deuce bed for moving other non-wheeled personal property.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a sofa and love seat in th back of the old M35A2 for a while. The kids and neighbor friends loved riding around back there jumping on the sofas. Of course I kept it on the dirt road I live on.

mangus580

Ok, its confimed... Blazer will NOT fit in a deuce bed. It might barely just make it in a 5 ton, as they are a 14' bed, correct? I did some measuring on my M1009 today, and there is no way it will fit.

Deuce-bigalo

WOw - this is like a virtual encyclopidia of knowledge! Like asking a question and getting suchs a array of answers only to concur down to a final choice!! YOU GUYS ROCK! I wouldn't have ever thought of the Tow Bar Idea! That a good thought actually! I think I may investigate that if things go for the best here in AZ as for the MV goes! I will let you know on what some friends and welding shops have to say! Talk to you soon!

John

Deuce-bigalo

BTW - Thanks a 'Blazer Load' Mangus for doing those measurements on the Deuce and M1009! That helps rather than trying to guess, mismeasure or breaking something!! Much appreciated!