• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ok - what size passenger vehicles fit in a M35 cargo bed?

mangus580

d-b... what we have used in the past for a towbar is actually quite simple. it seems to be 2 pieces of 4" channel about 6-8 feet long welded face to face, with 2 more pieces welded the same way to form a T. this bar was used on a blazer 'mudtruck' so we had a special bumper setup that we could put pins through into the ends of the T on the towbar. I would think some appropriate square tubing would work instead of the channel. If you want, I can probably get some pics of what we had tomorrow. Its interesting the width of the T we had, was about perfect to put a couple 'tabs' on the end and go right on the front of an M1009 perfectly... glad I didnt need it!

Desert Rat

DB,
When you say, "YOU GUYS ROCK!" are you comparing us to the Bob & Tom Show? I'm a curious B&T fan.

Deuce-bigalo

Don't know much on the Bob and Tom show. More of a Red Green man myself! I thinkt hat might work mangus, and any pictures would be appreciated! I have one other question (M1009's not inculded in the following) but how would you run the tow lights for the Blazer? No way to tie a 24v into a 12v system and expect the brake lights to work.

What's the right combination oh magic Eight Ball ........shake shake shake shake.....

John

mangus580

well.... lets see... you could buy a set of magnet lights, and put 24v bulbs in them...

you could wire up some 24v controlled relays and switch 12v, and wire into your blazers rear lights...

I would go with the first suggestion, just cuz the lights are handy to have! If you dont have an easy place to stick them on the blazer, make something to go in its hitch (as I assume it has a reese hitch) and you can stick them on that.

Trango

I made a towbar for my buggy, and until I got sick of going 40 up slight grades and threw another motor in the deuce, it worked just fine.

Now, I have REAL CAT POWER and should be able to haul some ass.

Oh yeah, I finally got a mil plug for the trailer light connection, so I can finally wire up some lights and be legal (until now, I've just been followed closely by a friend until I drove out of Boulder). ;)

Bob

Trango

Oh yeah, btw, I am a cheap SOB and I made my own lunette eye out of some #6 rebar... I torch heated it, and used the shackle mounts on the deuce bumper to bend two half donuts (akin to shepherd's crooks) in opposite ends of the bar, and then TIG'ed em together. ;)

Bob

Gatnom

Robert: I'd like to to just that, but I'd like to get good dimensions to work with or actually get my hands on one to blueprint. Material thickness, lengths, hole locations, etc. Sure alot of us could whip up a functioning bar easy enough, but it would be nice to make one that would look like original at least to most lookers. Heaven forbid that a homade bar would ever fail causing an accident while towing the 12,000lb clunker home from the GL auction, the legal eagles would show no mercy! It would probably make the prices on originals start to look pretty cheap! Dave

rdixiemiller

I have my brackets made already, I took some pictures from an E-Bay listing, and some from Kenny, and faked them. The bar itself is a pretty simple minded affair, I am using 2.25"x.25" wall tubing, since I had it already. Mine will be about 5' long, I see no reason to make the length adjustable. I am going to have i fixed and one moveable leg, just to make storage easier.