• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OKC GL Alert

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at Oklahoma City GL today to pick up an over sized brief case and some non-metallic hoses, I was on time and everything went well until the GL guy brings the brief case out in a 4X4X2 foot crate, which he lets me know is not going to fit into my Honda! i told him I didn't want the crate, at which time he let me know, they had been generating too much trash so I had to take the crate, cardboard and pallet or no pickup! i asked him when all this changed? He said months ago, I let him know I was there six weeks ago and a dozen time before that and this was the first time for me! So I complained to the GL office there and in AZ to no avail of course since I signed that agreement that says everything that goes wrong is my fault even it is GL's fault, well you know the drill, seven hours of driving and a day gone forever! But this is the last time for me, no more GL. GSA and Craigs List will have to do in the future. This is just to let anyone dealing with GL, bring a trailer.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should have told me you where coming to town. I could have loaded you up with jasonjc's stuff.

FloridaAKM

Things happen between the auction & what you thought it was, size & weight & when you actually see it in person, been there & done that (but no T-Shirt). Planning the recovery using GL info is not always an exact science of logistics, even though most crates have 3d sizes stamped into them along with the weight. You always have to have a backup plan or as you did, a new plan next week! Good luck on your recovery next week. My recoveries are usually a 4 hour deal, but always use vacation time from 07:00 till 10:00 when I go back to work!

cjcottrill

I made the mistake of driving the wife's car for a small lot pick up. They brought the small mk burner in a large wooden crate and pallet. 3 minutes with a hammer and screwdriver from my trusty toolbox got everything in the car with room for more shopping.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never had to take the crate/cardboard or crate until this last pickup and I have visited OKC GL about every other month since it became a national center for GL. I got way more than I need anyway, besides GSA is no tax or premium!

tommys2patrick

About 6 months ago, I was picking up several items in OKC from GL. The fork lift driver was being less than helpful as he just dropped the whole crate on the tarmac instead of in my trailer. I was able to dismantle the crate as he had also broken it in several places. He did the same thing with the second crate. So I dismantled them the rest of the way. After a lot of struggling by myself I was able to get the items in the trailer. Shortly thereafter, the warehouse manager came out to complain about the mess I was making. He yelled at me that that all the crates, packaging and pallets are part of the dunnage that I won along with my item. I reviewed what had happened with loading and he waved his hand in a "get out of here" gesture. My next trip I asked the gals at the window about this. They confirmed that whatever the forklift operator brings out has to leave with you. However, sometimes I think they are using bid winners to get rid of pallets as I have had some rather small items come out the door on pallets even when I won multiple items that could have been consolidated.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About 6 months ago, I was picking up several items in OKC from GL. The fork lift driver was being less than helpful as he just dropped the whole crate on the tarmac instead of in my trailer. I was able to dismantle the crate as he had also broken it in several places. He did the same thing with the second crate. So I dismantled them the rest of the way. After a lot of struggling by myself I was able to get the items in the trailer. Shortly thereafter, the warehouse manager came out to complain about the mess I was making. He yelled at me that that all the crates, packaging and pallets are part of the dunnage that I won along with my item. I reviewed what had happened with loading and he waved his hand in a "get out of here" gesture. My next trip I asked the gals at the window about this. They confirmed that whatever the forklift operator brings out has to leave with you. However, sometimes I think they are using bid winners to get rid of pallets as I have had some rather small items come out the door on pallets even when I won multiple items that could have been consolidated.
I'll take a 5ton next time and they can "get rid of" all the pallets they'd like. I fabricate and sell a pallet disassembly tool and my tool customers always want to buy pallets too...

Artisan

I saw this issue about a year ago or so.
I suggested to them that they simply CHARGE people to leave behind
the pallets and stuff they do not want. I am quite sure
that you would have paid $15.00 to use their trash can...right?

BUT, if the pictures did not show the stuff you do not want
it is not yours to take nor part of the auction. If the pictures show your stuff on
a giant pallet the pallet comes w/ it.

GL could generate a LOT of extra money by just being accommodating.
It would pay for hauling it away plus a few employees wages I bet.

DingDong.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess pallets do not count then. I pickup up multiple small items this week, they all fit in another box so i just moved them. The forklift operator pickup up the small box which was on a pallet and loaded it on the trailer leaving the pallets. I stacked the pallets on each other, he picked them up and went back inside.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess pallets do not count then. I pickup up multiple small items this week, they all fit in another box so i just moved them. The forklift operator pickup up the small box which was on a pallet and loaded it on the trailer leaving the pallets. I stacked the pallets on each other, he picked them up and went back inside.
Probably varies by individual. What you describe is what I experienced last time I was there.

emr

Gee... I am surprised you ever did it at all ... I don't see how they would want to handle your trash / left overs. etc..... at all... Just seems silly to me it would be such a big deal that they did sometimes and dint this time... Getting away with that a few times I would think you should feel lucky and just move on, Since you posted asking these are Just my thoughts....

DeadParrot

I have never had a problem leaving pallets in OKC. Have even brought back pallets from previous lots. The fork lift operator always seemed willing to take them. This was a recent as two weeks ago. The rest of the packing and shipping stuff I have considered my issue to deal with. I have managed to salvage several decent pieces of lumber and plywood.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't mind following the rules but when you change them I would like to know, so I can bring the right vehicle! A little consistency would be a big help on dealing with the different sites.

tommys2patrick

I think ,like others, that sometimes you are not sure what to expect as to what the situation is with dunnage when you pickup. However, just last week I made a pickup and I had an A+++ experience from the front office people to the forklift operators. From my experience, some lots are rather small and on full sized pallets, while some lots are gigantic and on the same sized pallets. Not a complaint, just a fact of how they are auctioned off. If I can consolidate and maximize my material handling I can keep my costs down. Trailer/truck/vehicle size for load-outs is a big factor for me as I am sure it is for others. I know from a business perspective that GL is concerned with volume/efficient movement and it is not always cost effective to deal with a small potatoes operation like me.

So I would just like to say that I really appreciate their willingness to make me feel welcome for doing business with them. I hope others have similar good experiences.

General Hood

I loaded multiple lots at OKC last week as well, forklift driver assisted me offloading several pallets of razor wire onto my trailer that were stacked too high on pallets for safe transport, then he carted the empty pallets back to the warehouse. GL had shrinkwrapped the razor wire lots, which was worthy of a good laugh. I should have taken pics. I guess the cost of metal banding affected GL's huge revenue :).
To be fair though, I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes to get loaded out at this facility, and the staff has always been friendly

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I can top that. Groveport OH. pick up 12 air ride seats in boxes and I knew about take all rule.
They start bringing out my seats and I said ok think it all will go in my 5x10 enclosed little trailer.The first 6 boxes came out and had 2 seats per box I said it is going to be close. Then they brought out another of two seats in boxes then another and another. I said what's up and where is GimpyRobb's number. Well he said you bought 24 seats at just handed me my invoice and said see. OK got some help when he said they could use the pallets. Well 2 1/2 hours later got box trash and 20 seats in my little trailer and 4 in the back of the truck.
Got no problems with GL. Every time all has gone well and people are how you treat them from the start most of the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks