• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OldM101 a1 axle price?

scratch

Iam thinking about doing a axle swap on my 68 M101A1 so I can use the same tires and wheels that I have on my 2011 jeep. My question is what is the going price for a 68 axle, wheels hubs tires. My next question is can I keep the leaf springs that are on the trailer or do I need to replace them too? I want to keep the height on the trailer, it lines up perfect with my jeep, I am running 35-12.50-17 wheels right now. Any info would be great. One more question, any one have an idea of what it would coast to do a swap? Just a geustament. Thanks I just had a though. can i use a jeep axle from a wrecked jeep?

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There may be some common brake parts with the M37 but other than that, not much of a market for that axle. Anything you can get probably. Keeping the factory springs is the best route. The cost of a new axle varies with size brakes etc.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Do the 101a1s have brakes? I thought they only had parking brakes. I would be interested in the rims/tires if you would sell them. PM me if your interested.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make a friend and give it away!

harleyhouse

Strip the axle from the trailer keep the shocks.
Use the spare from your jeep to measure for clearance on the trailer.
ABC trailer.com or R&P trailer seller on Ebay for new axle.

1. center pin to center pin measurement.
2. flange to flange measurement " use your spare to measure this.
3. you may need a custom mount to the lower shock eye.

I would guess $240.00 for a new axle with jeep pattern hubs electric brakes extra.

Sell your old one on craigslist or here $50.00 to $100.00 is my guess.

Search M101a1 axle swap on google. Many come up.

tbone1004

the jeeps use an odd bolt pattern compared to standard 5 bolts, plus you run into track width issues. If the parking brake handles and rods are all there I might be interested in that bit, but the axles and wheels aren't in incredibly high demand. As mentioned above, rims may go to M37 owners, but with the axle take what you can get...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most any 16" tire will fit. You will need the correct tube and a flap. Most tire shops that service big trucks are up to the task.

quickfarms

My M101A1 dumpster on wheels came from the military with civilian tires.

Champion trailer can make the axle. I seem to remember that the current jeep bolt pattern is the standard trailer pattern. You need to order the axle with the plates to attach the brake backing plates

tbone1004

Current jeep bolt pattern is NOT that standard bolt pattern. The old 5 bolt from jeep is the standard 5x4.5 bolt pattern. The new ones starting with 99 grand cherokees and the new model wranglers are 5x5. Not an issue for the axle companies to put this hub on there, but if you want to put JK rims on it then it has to be 5x5.

Your best bet really is to get a new axle. You'll save so much weight it's ridiculous. Even if you go for electronic brakes, the combination will be 100lbs+ lighter than what is on there right now. There are tons of threads regarding axle swaps on these things, some including the specs that you need. You will spend at least $200/rim to get custom rims made for the current axle, if you switch to civvy tires, you can't have the tires serviced at normal tire shops because of the tubes, and you have the unneeded extra weight. If you want to switch, just swap the whole thing, especially since jeep JK tire/rim combos can be had so cheap on craigslist.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Project/page2?highlight=lifetime+registration
There's a thread with the detailed axle specifications from Dexter. With the new axle, everytihng should be welded except shock mounts and it will bolt right up to the existing perches.

Best of luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks