• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oliver 2150 with multifuel

dozer1

Engine:

Type:White-Hercules
Fuel:diesel
Aspiration:turbocharged
Cylinders:6
Bore/Stroke:4.56x4.875 inches [116 x 124 mm]
Displacement:478 ci [7.8 L]
Cooling:liquid
Coolant:29.5 qts [27.9 L]
Air cleaner:dual paper elements
Compression:17.0:1
Rated RPMs:2200
Starter volts:12
Oil capacity:22 qts [20.8 L]

This is from tractordata.com , the engine details of a White 2-135 . Looks like they used that White-Hercules engine well into the eighties. I would GUESS that they didnt have multi-fuel pistons as well as other M-F parts. A multi would obviously fit right in there though. Then you could bring back an old tractor name from the 1920's and call it an oil-pull.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So I wonder how the "multifuel ability" changes with the 18:1 compression ratio vs the deuces 22:1 compression ratio. Would it be possible to put one of those engines in a deuce for lower compression and then get a bigger turbo to make more power and boost. 22:1 is high but my thought is 18:1 compression ratio would be more efficient when adding more boost?

Or another question: with that Oliver engine in a deuce, what engine would be more fuel efficient? I know there are a lot of variables to consider.

There is lower compression pistons out there for the multifuel motors. They are not all the same.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And at their rated RPM's (2200), they will last 8,000 to 12,000 hours between engine re-builds. If we would govern ours down to 2200 RPM under load, there would not be anywhere as many rods coming out the sides of the block!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The engine was designed by Continental and sold, and sold, etc.
The multi fuel design is really a WW2 GERMAN one, USED by them towards the end of the war, just like the alternative fuel and synthetic diesel and oil. The design was LICENSED to CONTINENTRL and other makers.
The Russians also had quite a number of MULTI fueled vechiles, including tanks ( the same basic WW2 design but I would guess thay DID NOT LICENSE), this was again because the thought was at the time, the next war would be in EUROPE

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a thread out there also that talks about the white 2-135 tractor that had a "multifuel" engine in it. I thought that had 18:1 compression though. I'm also thinking about injection pumps. It would be nice to be able to have a governor that wouldnt let the engine rev past 2300 to prevent engine failures. I'm not an expert on governors, but the one in the deuce dosnt seem to feel like the same one that are in some of our older farm tractors. For example, there is a thread about having a pot driven generator on the deuce but some people were not sure if the governor would operate correctly on the deuce to provide constant rpm.

So I wonder if there are parts from these multifuel tractors that would be an improvement in a deuce. Possibly an electric grid intake heater vs the flame heater or a governor that limits the engine rpm to 2300 ( where the deuce governor dosnt seem to do much for limiting rpm to a more reasonable level to prevent engine failures).

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually the governors are different in something such as a tractor compared to a vehicle. Tractor governors are set up to more or less run at a constant speed under varying loads (giving more fuel as the need arises to maintain RPM . Vehicle governors basically just keep you from over revving the engine. I've heard of people putting industrial engines in vehicles and the governor didn't behave well during road driving.

You've got a governor that will hold the mutifuel under 2300. It's your foot. IMO it's ok to rev you multifuel on up for gear changes (and is needed because of the gaps between gears) but I try not to hold my engine much over 2100 cruising down the road.

dave wagner

If your thinking about fuel economy the engine in my 2150 really likes fuel.
The only way to save fuel has been to gear up and throttle down. Just remember not to lug it. The book says no work under 2400 rpm but I stay above 1600 to 1800, the heavier the load the higher the rpm.

Uh oh 2400 rpm is normal working load,the low rpm work load is 1400. Sorry

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp,

Who used these lower compression multifuel pistons?

All,

What would be the downside to a lower compression multifuel besides harder to start in the cold? Seems like lower compression might be easier on the rods and make the multifuel engine a little more durable? Not saying they are bad by any means as long as they are given proper care, just wondering what y'all think.

JasonS

And at their rated RPM's (2200), they will last 8,000 to 12,000 hours between engine re-builds. If we would govern ours down to 2200 RPM under load, there would not be anywhere as many rods coming out the sides of the block!
I found this with a quick search regarding engine life:

http://www.freewebs.com/whitetractorcumminsconversions/

which states:

If one down side to the 2-135/2-155 were to be identified, it would be the White/Hercules engines. Although these engines create a tremendous amount of low end torque, their fuel consumption is far from respectable. In addition, it has been my causual observation that these engines tend to only have a useful life of 4000-8000 hours.

JasonS

Here is some more anecdotal information from the tractor crowd on engine life:

Today's Tractors :: View topic - White 2-155 Hercules engine ?

Tractorman4840

Report to Moderator
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:08 pm Post subject: White 2-155 Hercules engine ? I was just wondering how many hours could be expected from these engines on average before a rebuild. We have a 79' model 2-155 with 3700 orginal hours. Thanks.

no-bama
Regular

Report to Moderator
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:29 pm Post subject: Re: White 2-155 Hercules engine ? we had 5000 hours on ours before overhaul. the only reason we overhauled it was because it blew a head gasket. the reason it blew a head gasket was because one of the coolant passages corroded up. in short,,,,very good engines,,just wish we would have run an anti corrosive agent in the coolant. it never used oil or wore the bearings excessively. I would own one anyday of the week

e
Regular

Report to Moderator
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:32 pm Post subject: Re: White 2-155 Hercules engine ? 3900-4400hrs seems like the magic number when they burn down one of the middle cylinders. I've talked to a number of guys who also seem to think that is the range where they go to pot. The 2-135 I bought had more smoke coming out of the breather than the exhaust. Oddly enough, it had 4050 hours

Mike Bock
Long Time User

Report to Moderator
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:02 am Post subject: Re: White 2-155 Hercules engine ? 3750 is when ours shot crap,loose sleeves piston got hot etc.

cs880
New User

Report to Moderator
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:43 am Post subject: Re: White 2-155 Hercules engine ? pull the injectors every 1000 hrs and test them. from what i have seen the biggest problem causing the melted piston has always been a dripping injector. if caught soon enough that engine will run for ever

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:09 am Post subject: Re: White 2-155 Hercules engine ? I've got a 2-135 with the same engine. Mine had 8700 on it when I overhauled it a year ago. Couldn't tell you for sure that it hadn't been done before.
If you do overhaul it,I'd go with the 4 ring high compression pistons from Maibach. Makes them start like summer when it's 25 degrees.

JamesOliverman
Regular

Report to Moderator
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:33 pm Post subject: Re: White 2-155 Hercules engine ? 3500 to 3800 hours seems to be the magic number for the early series engines.

grunex125

we've got on our farm two 2-155's with a 478 hercules, one 1950 with a 453 detroit, and our 1650 and 1850 used to have waukesha's in them until we repowered with cummins b series 5.9 liter diesels. The oliver tractors were very well set up for different engines and I know some have put 466 international motors in them, while still others have taken out the waukesha's and replaced them with Hercules engines in the larger Olivers and I think that the 2255 even had a 3208 Cat motor in them direct from the factory. On our White's we have noticed some overheating issues with them, but found that the best way to combat the heat issue was to take the radiator and add a new core to the existing tanks and run a four core radiator instead of a three core. As far as the 2150 in this thread I do believe that the tractor shown is actually stock, with maybe some changes due to previous owners tweaking this or that to suit their needs.

grunex125

Are you sure that's a 66? looks more like a 77 or 770 I don't believe that 66's or even the 60's had cast iron frames. also I see the PTO lever is on the left hand side of the seat typical of either one of those tractors....... Not saying it's a bad thing it's just that you got more HP than what you thought. along with live PTO and a 283 waukesha I believe as well putting out about 30HP instead of the 60's and 66's 15HP

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure that's a 66? looks more like a 77 or 770 I don't believe that 66's or even the 60's had cast iron frames. also I see the PTO lever is on the left hand side of the seat typical of either one of those tractors....... Not saying it's a bad thing it's just that you got more HP than what you thought. along with live PTO and a 283 waukesha I believe as well putting out about 30HP instead of the 60's and 66's 15HP
If it was a 77 or 770 it would have a 6 cylinder in it. It's a 66.

grunex125

ok.........yup yer right... sorry about that. (open mouth insert foot I guess) just not used to seeing them without their side panels. Is it a project tractor for you then?

mightymanx

I would love to get 18 to 1 compression so I can run more boost.

I wonder if the heads are cut deeper or it is a shallower piston?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks