• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

One of my dream trucks!

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all,

I’m newly registered and accepted. Been loving this site and build threads.

I was chatting with a friend the other day about his pinzgauer (sp?) and mentioned that I’ve been drooling on a unimog or deuce for a long time. He mentioned that the local fire brigade has a deuce they are getting rid of. I started asking around and yes they are and yes I can have it for nominal $$!

I’m so excited! I know it’s a big project, but I’m fairly savvy with mechanics, welding, and fabrication. It has air system issues and therefore brake issues. It currently has a water tank and trash pump mounted that the brigade will keep. I plan to convert the bed to a dump and probably haul logs and anything else that fits.

I live in BFE Washington, off-grid. A Multifuel vehicle is perfect. I’ve got a burgeoning mechanic business and having a way to utilize (cleaned) hydrocarbons is very appealing.

I’m not sure what year the deuce is and have noticed there’s a member here that can look them up. I’ll share the plates after I get the truck. Some of the brigade people say it’s from Korean War era, but I think it’s later than that. She is definitely a M35A2. I will add a build thread once that starts. I’ve also got a line on an M37 and a 40’s “power wagon” (ambulance) that belonged to my grandfather.

Cheers,

Spoonerist

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey all,

I’m newly registered and accepted. Been loving this site and build threads.

I was chatting with a friend the other day about his pinzgauer (sp?) and mentioned that I’ve been drooling on a unimog or deuce for a long time. He mentioned that the local fire brigade has a deuce they are getting rid of. I started asking around and yes they are and yes I can have it for nominal $$!

I’m so excited! I know it’s a big project, but I’m fairly savvy with mechanics, welding, and fabrication. It has air system issues and therefore brake issues. It currently has a water tank and trash pump mounted that the brigade will keep. I plan to convert the bed to a dump and probably haul logs and anything else that fits.

I live in BFE Washington, off-grid. A Multifuel vehicle is perfect. I’ve got a burgeoning mechanic business and having a way to utilize (cleaned) hydrocarbons is very appealing.

I’m not sure what year the deuce is and have noticed there’s a member here that can look them up. I’ll share the plates after I get the truck. Some of the brigade people say it’s from Korean War era, but I think it’s later than that. She is definitely a M35A2. I will add a build thread once that starts. I’ve also got a line on an M37 and a 40’s “power wagon” (ambulance) that belonged to my grandfather.

Cheers,

Spoonerist
Welcome to the Outfit!

From what I have been able to find, it seems the earliest M35a2 dates back to 1967. Lots were built by Kaiser Jeep back then. Be sure to visit the Technical Manuals (TM's) section and download the books on how to repair and diagnose your New-To-You truck.

Chances are since a fire department has it, she may be red - and that is a common thing. Shoot as many pictures as you can and don't hesitate to post them as a stake in the ground showing where you started.

Welcome from the other side of the country!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the mechanics of it won't scare you. Great opportunity to show some "plug in the tablet" newbies what old school wrenching looks like. I see the oily residue on each wheel...... if she is complete she will likely run and drive, but needs the usual attention to wheel brake cylinders, seals, bearings, brake hoses and lines, and airpack as most of them do. Keep us posted with progress and plans!

ToddJK

Welcome to the addiction, lol.
I know you said there's no ferry service, but I'd definitely check around to see if there's any kind of contractor who could do it for a reasonable price.
Either way, from what I saw, seems like a decent truck.
My addiction first started when I was a young teen and watched that movie Tremors 2. Burt's deuce was awesome and I always wanted one since, then I got to lay my eyes on one at a surplus shop not far from where I lived. It was a done deal at that point! I've had two now over the past 10 years. These trucks are like building AR's, addicting like drugs and dig deep holes in the pockets but it's not bad for your health! 😆

rustystud

Welcome aboard from a fellow WA member!!! granted im in the city!!! Arlington air show is the big event and its in august this year if you plan on taking your truck out and about to events. We also have a FB group PNW Steel Soldiers.
Hey "srodocker" . When is the Arlington air show this year ? Do they plan on having trucks this year ?
Also , do the guys still meet down there in Napavine at the farm ?
Thanks.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As to the addiction… I totally get it. So far I’ve performance modded 2 sports cars. Restored 2 VWs. Rebuilt a full sized bronco… It is definitely under my skin.

I’ve been drooling on a deuce forever. The M37 also. I’ve driven both and been in love. My grandfather’s truck deserves to be listed here. I’ll walk down to snap some pictures soon. It’s got trees…

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
As to the addiction… I totally get it. So far I’ve performance modded 2 sports cars. Restored 2 VWs. Rebuilt a full sized bronco… It is definitely under my skin.

I’ve been drooling on a deuce forever. The M37 also. I’ve driven both and been in love. My grandfather’s truck deserves to be listed here. I’ll walk down to snap some pictures soon. It’s got trees…
Dang right! Be sure that you post pictures of your grandfathers truck.
We love pictures!! Especially with a story to go along with it...

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, here it is. She started her life as this:
5726FC8C-8E25-4060-83F9-AE011D95B6DE.jpeg
I don’t know when my grandfather got it, but I remember it running as a kid.
4F9C6DF2-D93E-48FB-B6ED-CCCE65B70D6E.jpeg
C80D5C0D-9A0E-4F84-B9A3-F491105160BF.jpeg
Wood body!
314FB424-0639-4AAD-91D1-FE059F393749.jpeg
Looks like a flat head 6.
2967A9B2-F34E-4BE1-AABE-261585C6B8D2.jpeg
I know the next one isn’t military, but it is definitely on my list of restorations. Yes, it’s an obsession!
0747CE29-AB2A-4ABF-AA9F-C1E2DAA33CF6.jpeg
This thing as well. It’s a drag saw, the progenitor of the chainsaw. One of my mechanical love affairs was antique logging machines. This one was mated to a hit and miss engine. I saw the engine run when I was a kid!
F7E6E48F-103C-4305-8643-F18E2C80B613.jpeg
7E35F126-8A3C-4D7F-824F-CC0FAAF1740F.jpeg
My family has been here a long time. Here’s one of our views.
2D52AE1A-209E-4395-8AD4-998E8E8256FC.jpeg
That is Canada across the water.

Cheers,

Spoon

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, here it is. She started her life as this:
View attachment 862791
I don’t know when my grandfather got it, but I remember it running as a kid.
View attachment 862793
View attachment 862794
Wood body!
View attachment 862795
Looks like a flat head 6.
View attachment 862796
I know the next one isn’t military, but it is definitely on my list of restorations. Yes, it’s an obsession!
View attachment 862797
This thing as well. It’s a drag saw, the progenitor of the chainsaw. One of my mechanical love affairs was antique logging machines. This one was mated to a hit and miss engine. I saw the engine run when I was a kid!
View attachment 862800
View attachment 862802
My family has been here a long time. Here’s one of our views.
View attachment 862803
That is Canada across the water.

Cheers,

Spoon
That view and the truck and car are pretty amazing. I'd bet that is one COLD place to be standing out there in the wide open spaces with the wind whipping across that patch of water!

That ambulance is going to be a TON of work, but maybe you can find parts slowly as you clean up the frame and find an old 60hp flathead to power it with.

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah it can be rather nippy here. We are usually in the 30-40 degrees in winter. We will often get about a foot of snow for a couple of weeks.

There’s no pavement here and no public utilities. I’ve wanted a shop with concrete floors. Right now my shop floor is below the water table… mud, mud, mud. Ick.

I don’t think I’ll restore the ambulance. Probably just tinker and get her running. A tribute to my grandpa. The Desoto on the other hand will likely get some TLC.

I hope to establish a small vocational school out here. One of the classes/spaces will be a 2 bay mechanic shop. 1 bay for regular maintenance and the other for long term resto projects. There is a trove of antique vehicles. This is a place vehicles come to die. I want to reverse the flow and teach people mechanics in the process.

Cheers,

Spoon

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeah it can be rather nippy here. We are usually in the 30-40 degrees in winter. We will often get about a foot of snow for a couple of weeks.

There’s no pavement here and no public utilities. I’ve wanted a shop with concrete floors. Right now my shop floor is below the water table… mud, mud, mud. Ick.

I don’t think I’ll restore the ambulance. Probably just tinker and get her running. A tribute to my grandpa. The Desoto on the other hand will likely get some TLC.

I hope to establish a small vocational school out here. One of the classes/spaces will be a 2 bay mechanic shop. 1 bay for regular maintenance and the other for long term resto projects. There is a trove of antique vehicles. This is a place vehicles come to die. I want to reverse the flow and teach people mechanics in the process.

Cheers,

Spoon
Well, it sounds to me like you have some pretty good plans. I understand the outdoor shop. That is what I have here. I do have crushed, ground asphalt to work on, but a floor jack punches right through it. No mud and that is good, but if it is cold I just get cold and when it rains me and the trucks get wet...

A vocational school would be a lot of fun. Teaching is a fun thing to do. Especially if you have the younger bunch that want to learn a skill they can earn a decent living with.

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the bronco forum folks suggested using drywall ends and pieces to mitigate the mud in my shop. Don’t have a current drywall project so that hasn’t happened.

As time allows I’ll pour a slab.

Realized as I was surfing this site that there’s a new member section that I missed. Apologies to the moderators.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks