• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ongoing Log Of My 1987 HMMWV

rcamacho

I replaced the hoses that were poorly spliced rather than replaced. Now on to more little annoyances...

Time to do the V-belts. The alternator tensioning is easy enough, but what is the best way to tension the lower 2 belts? Where is the best place for me to place a lever arm to pull tension on the pump?

Thanks In Advance,

T
PS pump has a 1/2” square slot for tensioning accessible from underneath the engine on the v belt setup. TM is pretty good for the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m about to install my tachometer. I got tired of seeing very expensive tachometer kits and I just bought the tachometer some time ago for maybe $100.

I have always thought that the old military vehicles housed some of their gauges in things that look like soup cans. Towards that end, and instead of spending hundreds of dollars for mounting hardware, I’ve decided to use some L brackets that I will bend to shape, and a diced tomatoes can.

I have taken pictures to demonstrate what I have done.

Essentially I used a side cutting can opener and emptied the contents to make chili. I then used a metal snips to cut a hole in the bottom of the can that would fit the tachometer. I placed the tachometer into the can and used the anchoring hardware.

Now I will mount the can to my windshield and drop wires down to the dashboard. I will of course paint the can using self etching primer and drab green or black paint. I will place a back on the can to keep water from getting in and I will drill a hole at the lowest area to give an egress to any water that gets in.

Pictures are below:

Attachments

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I’m about to install my tachometer. I got tired of seeing very expensive tachometer kits and I just bought the tachometer some time ago for maybe $100.

I have always thought that the old military vehicles house some of their gauges in things that look like soup cans. Towards that end, and instead of spending hundreds of dollars for mounting hardware, I’ve decided to use some L brackets that I will bend to shape, and a diced tomatoes can.

I have taken pictures to demonstrate what I have done.

Essentially I used a side cutting can opener and emptied the contents to make chili. I then used a metal snips to cut a hole in the bottom of the can that would fit the tachometer. I placed the tachometer into the can and used the anchoring hardware.

Now I will mount the can to my windshield and drop wires down to the dashboard. I will of course paint the can using self etching primer and drab green or black paint. I will place a back on the can to keep water from getting in and I will drill a hole at the lowest area to give an egress to any water that gets in.

Pictures are below:

That's using the old bean. :hammer: Cool Idea !

Any chance they were jalapeno flavored 🌶 , CAMO

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw another thread about Jeep mirrors. I liked it and I bought a pair.

The other post talked about adapters to fit the mirrors the the front door hinges Adapters cost over $110!!!!! Yikes!!!

I paid $43 for the pair of mirrors, and I already own the drills and taps and punch and hammer.

I just templated the mirror screw placement on the upper door hinge, marked with pencil, used a punch to mark the center of each hole, found the correct size tap and drill, drilled the three holes and tapped them. Then installed the mirror. Tomorrow I will remove the screws and coat them with red lock tire and replace them.

Passenger side done and then I ran out of daylight. Driver’s side installation date TBD.

I took pics of the process.

Attachments

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Saw another thread about Jeep mirrors. I liked it and I bought a pair.

The other post talked about adapters to fit the mirrors the the front door hinges Adapters cost over $110!!!!! Yikes!!!

I paid $43 for the pair of mirrors, and I already own the drills and taps and punch and hammer.

I just templated the mirror screw placement on the upper door hinge, marked with pencil, used a punch to mark the center of each hole, found the correct size tap and drill, drilled the three holes and tapped them. Then installed the mirror. Tomorrow I will remove the screws and coat them with red lock tire and replace them.

Passenger side done and then I ran out of daylight. Driver’s side installation date TBD.

I took pics of the process.
How are you going to see when you pop those doors off this summer for that cool run down the road?

Doors off... air con on, CAMO

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a fully functioning turret that I can open. It’s better than a sunroof.

01GRANDER

I have a fully functioning turret that I can open. It’s better than a sunroof.
Looks nice, I really want a slant back But it’s just so darn expensive. I think I might get a welder and put something together similar or make some sort of expedition cab so I can sleep in there when going on trips.

Seems like you’ve actually had to do some serious work, not worried about the hands?

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like you’ve actually had to do some serious work, not worried about the hands?
Lots of people have asked about this, so I will comment...

Remember, every time I operate I'm at risk of COVID-19, and HIV and Hepatitis. Nothing is safe.

It is not that I don't worry about my hands. It's just that I don't live in a bubble.

People go for a drive and get into accidents. People go for bike rides and get injured. People go for a jog and turn an ankle and break it. My neighbors were at home asleep when a jet with 164 people crashed into their house and killed them 0ctober 2001.

I take precautions. I don't do things dangerously or hastily. Just being a surgeon doesn't mean I stopped putting my pants on one leg at a time. I enjoy working on my cars and fixing them. I get a sense of self satisfaction, just like anyone else. Why wouldn't I work on my truck? Just because I'm a surgeon doesn't mean I didn't come from blue collar roots, and it doesn't mean I forgot where I came from.

01GRANDER

Lots of people have asked about this, so I will comment...

Remember, every time I operate I'm at risk of COVID-19, and HIV and Hepatitis. Nothing is safe.

It is not that I don't worry about my hands. It's just that I don't live in a bubble.

People go for a drive and get into accidents. People go for bike rides and get injured. People go for a jog and turn an ankle and break it. My neighbors were at home asleep when a jet with 164 people crashed into their house and killed them 0ctober 2001.

I take precautions. I don't do things dangerously or hastily. Just being a surgeon doesn't mean I stopped putting my pants on one leg at a time. I enjoy working on my cars and fixing them. I get a sense of self satisfaction, just like anyone else. Why wouldn't I work on my truck? Just because I'm a surgeon doesn't mean I didn't come from blue collar roots, and it doesn't mean I forgot where I came from.
I don’t disagree, just know some that won’t do anything like that just because their afraid of damaging their livelihood. It’s good that you are that way, less snooty than the guys I know. 😄

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She is in the shoppe getting the new 765R4, 4 speed shifter with shift down cable, and electric knock-off doors.

FINALLY!

Can't wait to be able to drag race (and beat) slugs and snails.

Not sure if I will keep or sell the AMG "X" doors. If the local film company wants to use my rig, I guess I will need to keep them.

MattNC

She is in the shoppe getting the new 765R4, 4 speed shifter with shift down cable, and electric knock-off doors.

FINALLY!

Can't wait to be able to drag race (and beat) slugs and snails.

Not sure if I will keep or sell the AMG "X" doors. If the local film company wants to use my rig, I guess I will need to keep them.

How’s the install of the new transmission going? I’m looking forward to hearing your first impressions and ongoing review.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tranny is in. Problem is that the alternator mounting tang was cracked, and it explains my loose belts. Lots of dirt in the cracked tang. This was NOT my mechanic's fault as the crack is old. Someone forgot to use the spacer when re-assembling. Probably the genius I bought the rig from. Just another of the mistakes he made. Whatever... I am prepared for this...

Rather than TIG weld the alternator tang, I will convert to 200 Amp 24/12 volt unit. I have all the parts and such. I bought the install kit and the alternator 2 years ago. I just never found the time, until now.

Will delay the driving by a few days so I won't be able to discuss the tranny until next week.

I also want to ensure the kick down cable is properly installed prior to driving over 30.

The electric imitation X-doors will be the next task, but now with the 12 Volt option on the dual Voltage alternator , powering them up will no longer require an inverter.

Then I will get around to the airlift bumper and the pintle extension. After that the ratcheting spare tire rack. Then perhaps the front electric 12K winch.

Thanks for asking. I will post new information once I am driving her again.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend doing the airlift, extension , and tire carrier at the same time.

If you want more challenge do the reinforcement and mud flaps and be done with it😀

Not impossible but just have a good supply of bolts nuts, and washers handy.

Rig looking good Doc 🤠

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend doing the airlift, extension , and tire carrier at the same time.

If you want more challenge do the reinforcement and mud flaps and be done with it😀

Not impossible but just have a good supply of bolts nuts, and washers handy.

Rig looking good Doc 🤠
Juan,the pintle extension is closer to the lateral mounting hardware so I’m not sure I need an airlift reinforcement plate.

RWH and 86HUMV, what are your thoughts?

MattNC

Juan,the pintle extension is closer to the lateral mounting hardware so I’m not sure I need an airlift reinforcement plate.

RWH and 86HUMV, what are your thoughts?
TOBASH any ideas the hours the shop had into the 765r4 swap and extra items needed other than the shifter? If you don’t mind what did the suggest/explain that got you sold on the 765 vs a level 2 700? I’m thinking of this as well. I mainly aim to use mine for farm chores, woods trips and the occasional towing of 4000lbs or less.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TOBASH any ideas the hours the shop had into the 765r4 swap and extra items needed other than the shifter? If you don’t mind what did the suggest/explain that got you sold on the 765 vs a level 2 700? I’m thinking of this as well. I mainly aim to use mine for farm chores, woods trips and the occasional towing of 4000lbs or less.
I would say 24 hours work. Not one day... 24 solid work hours. I went level 4. You don’t need that. Level 2 is fine. If you are just staying on the farm with no highway then don’t bother. If you plan on Highway then this is a great idea.

There is definitely some fab work.

MattNC

I would say 24 hours work. Not one day... 24 solid work hours. I went level 4. You don’t need that. Level 2 is fine. If you are just staying on the farm with no highway then don’t bother. If you plan on Highway then this is a great idea.

There is definitely some fab work.

Thanks. The farm is 70 miles away mostly highway. I made the run there and back last night and every time I’m running there with the engine screaming at 55 mph I think it’s time for the O/D! We also like trips to Wilmington or the outer banks and it’s a blast once there but 200-300 miles each way with the three speed is a drag.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I assumed incorrectly that you lived on the farm. For those distances you're absolutely going to be happier with a 4 speed.

Added bonus... You now will have a PARK gear, so no more E-brake and no more chocks on the wheels.

Either 4L80e or 700R4 is awesome.

I went 700R4 (765R4) as it is NOT electrical and has no limp mode. It works until it don't. 700R4's have been on trucks for decades. The drive shafts also line up and don't need to be swapped BUT you need an adapter to fit the transfer case. You also need to properly set up the kick down cable or else you will need a rebuild in like 1 mile (no exaggeration).

RWH will endorse the 4L80e and feels it is better. That might be a more soup to nuts without fabrication, but I just don't know.

I'm super happy, but that is only after a short test drive. There are still a few more small things being serviced. I cannot comment on durability or quirky behavior.

[EDIT - I purchased from Bowtie Overdrives in California, and they are helpful 100% of the way. They also have a kit that needs some minor customization BUT it is almost soup to nuts. They customized for what I wanted, including a bulletproof strong tranny that shifts softly and not like a 1/4 mile dragster. I am not affiliated with them but they seem solid so I'm recommending them.]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks