• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Only in a Huey!

beaubeau

Back in the early 80s, my best friend bot a Bell47 and I had the opportunity to take a few Flying lessons and I did Solo! It was the best HI I have ever had other than driving a TT with a full load and finally being able to Pass 4wheelers, going UP Hill!! Any Trucker will Understand! Anyway this Bell 47 was great flying around the countryside in N.H. My Flying instructor was a Retired Hiwaii 5-O, and lived nearby. It only cost me $50.00 an Hour for lessons. Then I can remember the Fuel was expensive! I guess it cost some just to run this stuff,but Fun!!.All the fun stopped when my friend died. The family sold the Bell for a Whole Wopping price of $16,000.00!! I was told of the sale ,after the fact! I would have bought it at that price!!!??? Nice pics, Phil

halftrackkid

We took a flight on my buddy's Huey the other day which is an early 66' Vietnam vet, even has bullet hole patches on the bottom! Its now a crop duster! Fun as **** to fly! Being a farmer in Bakersfield, Ca I always ask them to spray my crops with it! Nothing like hearing that Huey coming from miles away! Gives you chill's!

Srjeeper

If you'd like to get some perspective on how much the Huey has contributed to this nation and those that fought & died for it.

I'd like to suggest you get the CD 'In the Shadow of the Blade':
Buy In the Shadow of the Blade and A Touch of Home

It was recommended to me by Driver523, and since buying it....My whole perspective has been broadended and my appreciation for the bird has been increased many times over.

The Huey has saved, shaped and defined a generation of warriors.....the reason so many survied Vietnam can be directly linked to the Huey.

I got both CD's and consider it the best $40.00 I've spent......watch these CD's and you'll never look at the Huey or those that spent time in and with it, the same.....[thumbzup].....it's certainly more than a machine :!::!::!:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There is no other sound in the world like the "WOP WOP WOP" of a Huey.

One flew near the farm theother day while I was on the tractor and I stopped and listend to it until it was gone......brought back some good memories.

I couldn't tell what kind of markings were on it......I'm not sure if there are any left on active duty or not.......I've been out of the loop since 2007.

EnteJager

I have about 2,000 hrs flying UH-1H's, still my favorite. Have to see if I can find some pictures. I"d go back to flying them in a minute.

EnteJager

Ft. Bliss UH-1H.jpg

I'm on the left. Didn't realize how much i miss flying hueys until I pulled this picture up.

Flying in the North East I don't see many around anymore.

Last edited:

Coal Cracker

I was working at a customers shop near the Susquehanna River bout a few months back, and heard the distinguished thud thud thud thud, and knew it was a huey, apparently it looked like a contractor spraying allong the river, I watched him duck wires and swing turn back and forth, nice to see them still in use.

656owner

(The first time) I landed in Viet nam in 2001, Huey's were still lined up along the runway. There must have been at least 30 of them. When I came in 2006 I was going to shoot some pictures but they were all gone along with the cement hangers.
But I did take a photo of this one on the presidential palace.

Attachments

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Love Hueys Too!..Check out my Video of taking her for her first ride..Had to delete the flying part, due to legal stuff.. Just before take off and after landing, thats my son who was the door gunner. Vietnam vet pilot flying her who was current in other helos. He told me after, he would come fly her anytime anywhere, she was so sweet flying..smooth...
Kevin..
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJGo0hC-rvU[/media]

gunboy1656

The airport right beside my house has a Huey that has been restored and flying. When I did a veterans day parade last year they got the pilot to do a flyover. Hope he does it again so I can get pics.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Talking about the last remaining huey's in service being retired to Alabama.
The article says they are being shipped to Redstone. I would have thought they would have been sent to Fort Rucker since that is where the Army trains chopper pilots.

They better lock them up good.......I go to Redstone a lot with truck and trailerrofl

Tampa250

I was able to take a ride in a Huey at Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot (www.americanhuey369.com) a few years ago and it was incredible. Growing up a huge military buff I'd always fantasized about going for a ride and it was incredible. Got lucky too- the flight we took ended up being a refueling so we got about an hour of flight time. :D

treetopflyer

Guess I'd better start of with hello since this is my first post! Love the fact that you all keep our heritage alive, so with that said, don't fret gentlemen, the legendary UH-1 may have dwindled but it's not dead. Active duty and guard don't have'em, but I do!. I've been flying hueys since '91 and haven't quit yet. We use them daily at the Yuma Proving Ground, AZ for all matter of test and jump missions. They are flown by Dept. of Army Civilians and contractors at a few other installations too. As a side note, we just picked up a few new LUH-72A's (Lakota)...funny picking up an aircraft from the factory and having that new car smell...it's got great avionics and auto pilot too, but it can't do 10% of the huey. I'll have to find some photos.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks