• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oops, I did it again

chicklin

Got the tire taken care of today in the 100 degree heat. Good lord, I must've lost 10 pounds in sweat. Moved the right front in place of the flat one. Put the new spare on the right front. Swapped the left front with one from the left rear that had better tread. So, now I have good steer tires and decent tread all the way around back.

Now to see if the flat one can be salvaged. The tube spun in the rim, so I'm guessing it's screwed, but we'll see.

Ordered parts for remote MC reservoir including 2 caps. One will have a male air fitting so I can plug my compressor directly into it and pressure bleed the brakes. There was some gunk in there so I want to bleed until I see purple coming out of every wheel cylinder.

Tomorrow....parking brake adjustment.

chicklin

Figured out what the maps were...Ft. Irwin in California. Looks like two different sections. There some notations on the maps using baseball team names (Dogers, Angels, etc.). Looks like they were doing some sort of military exercises or war games or something. Pretty neat.

Also, there were work orders and full instructions for installing the rifle mounts and the air-shift transfer case upgrade.

chicklin

Got most of my air problem fixed. I noticed the air governor popping off at about 90 psi. Was able to adjust it up to 120, hope I didn't go over that since the gauge stops there. I'm wondering if it needed readjusting after the air assist steering was installed?

Still have a small leak behind the gauge and a small one at the drain cock on one of the tanks, but it's serviceable now at 120 psi. Need to bleed the brakes again and then I think I'll be road-worthy (safely).

chicklin

Well crap, parking brake cable is screwed. Frozen, rusted, bent, frayed, rotten, etc. Found one at Erik's Military Supplies for $55. That was the cheapest I could find. Probably worth it for the piece of mind. Not having a functioning parking brake is not really an option on these trucks.

Good news is once I get that and my remote reservoir stuff, I should be in business in terms of road safety.

chicklin

Wow, I'm an idiot. Got my remote brake reservoir set up installed today and made an extra cap with an air fitting to experiment with pressure bleeding the brakes. Put the cap on and gave it about 15 psi. Everything looked good, went to look for my bleeder hose and I hear behind me: POP!.....SPLASH!!. Oh crap. Ran to the compressor to shut 'er down and then ran back to the truck to find that the reservoir had separated from the mount. I used the Tilton setup and the only thing hold the reservoir to the mount is a pressure-fit O-ring. So, the driver's side of the engine compartment, the fender and the ground around it got a nice shower of liquid gold (DOT 5). Dumb dumb dumb.

Band clamp tomorrow and more DOT 5. Anybody have any tips for cleaning this crap up so I don't lose all the paint on that side? Will water do anything to it?

chicklin

Discovered another little bugaboo...can't shift the transfer case to LOW. It feels like the like the linkage is binding or something. If I press down real hard I can feel the gears start to catch, but I don't want to force it. Is there some common issue with these, like an adjustment? I'll start searching.

Also have a leak in the transfer case air shift mechanism. Not sure where, yet. It engages, but leaks a lot of air.

chicklin

Little progress. Found the air leak at the transfer case, one of the fittings there was loose. Also got the compressor oiled with air-tool oil and got a bunch of gunk out of the "wet" air tank. The air system is in pretty good shape for now. Some really small leaks but nothing that would affect normal operation.

Got more DOT 5 and fixed my remote reservoir. Cracked every bleeder and the brakes are in pretty good shape, now. I was able to lock up all 10 wheels on dry pavement. The pedal is still a little soft, but I think the drums need adjusted. It doesn't leak down if you stand on it. Don't see any brake fluid leaks anywhere. Good, for now.

Fixed my passenger window today. The roller on the end of the scissor that goes into the fixed track welded inside the door had gotten out. Pulled it all apart, and put it back together and greased everything. Much better.

Found several loose bolts on the driveline flanges. Very scary. Like, finger loose. So, I went through and tightened everything up as best as I could. What a pain to get to some of them.

Greased every zerk. Up next is all fluids and filters. I loosened the drain cock on the fuel filter to take a look at the fuel. Nothing came out. Kept turning the drain cock until it fell out. Still no fluid :(. Must be pretty darn clogged. It takes a few cranks and a little throttle to start and I noticed today that when you shut the power switch off while it's running, the RPMS drop. I assume it is starving for fuel after the in-tank pump shuts down. Yikes. Filters on the way. I'll try and take a pick of what I presume to be a nasty mess inside there.

chicklin

Yippee, got the new parking brake cable on last night. Getting the shoes adjusted was a little tricky (tight quarters), but once it was all done it holds great. I tested it out by letting it roll and then yanking the handle. It comes to a sudden stop and holds great even with the truck rocking forward and back. I feel much better about it sitting in the driveway, now.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yippee, got the new parking brake cable on last night. Getting the shoes adjusted was a little tricky (tight quarters), but once it was all done it holds great. I tested it out by letting it roll and then yanking the handle. It comes to a sudden stop and holds great even with the truck rocking forward and back. I feel much better about it sitting in the driveway, now.

YAY !

That's still on my to-do-list.... Cable is in good shape, but could use TLC & Adjustment.

chicklin

Went and got my VIN inspection this morning to get a proper title. It was about a 45 mile trip and the truck ran strong there and back. I spent more time (hour and a half) waiting in the DMV office than driving.

Fluids and filters this weekend and I should be in pretty good shape.

chicklin

Serviced the fuel filters. They were nasty. Got the plugged draincocks on all three cleared out and the housings rinsed out. Also replaced a leaky injector return line. Early results indicate that it starts easier and the idle doesn't dip when I shut the in-tank pump off. Must've been pretty plugged.

chicklin

Took the boy (3) for his first ride today. He LOVED it. He was waving at everyone in the neighborhood on our way out and I even let him shift gears a few times on the backroads (with dad's help). I think I have successfully brainwashed him. Between my military trucks and grandpa's bulldozer, he's going to be hooked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks