• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation beetle bailey

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck runs and drives but,cannot risk full journey.
Keyword, "risk."

Welcome to the world of buying government surplus vehicles.

Heed wreckerman893's advice posted above.

Times are tough for everyone. There are people out there looking for work and pay. Make some calls and have the number on your credit card ready. Operators are standing-by.

Also, there is some GREAT information (including haulers), imbedded in many threads in this forum:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/transporation-needs/

Last edited:

XM211DOG777

Thanks for the feedback

Heyguys,
First of all ,per the Sasquatch.You are right.If I start doing the numbers,it dont take long,considering,gas,and most of all RISK of the unexpected,that to try and make the MISSION a drive down here,well,too many possible failure modes.
Hauling is the only option.Now here is where the miricle comes in.I need to find someone who already is coming this way,with the means to move "Ole K9".
That would be the ticket.Even if not, and it was a special trip,between gas,time and equipment,I still aint in my target field.The good thing is, I have time.
And OIF,now thats what I am talking about, thanks for the "Heads-up" on the internal link, I will check it out.
You all stick with me on this,dilileo operation.I feel like I am lost in a lifeboat and all I have is the telegraph to find my way home.
I am going to check out the leads I got, be back in a while.
Thanks agin guys.
DOG777:roll:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Dog777,
How about buying a M35 nearby for $1,500-$2,500, tow bar the XM211 down, then sell the M35 to break even or even make a little profit to put into the 211?

That's what I would do.

And welcome.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
XM211, I know you've been to the below thread, but you might want to take it into definite consideration.

You're looking for some real flexibility, and heavy sounds like he's in the business of how to :grd:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/transporation-needs/32518-hotshot-transportation-co.html

Your effort sounds grand. Perhaps you could make it known in your community what you are wanting to do and some of your local veteran and fraternal organizations who enjoy contributing toward such causes will help you raise money for the job. You might even find that they'll help with the entire project, not just the haul.

You might find tourself having to visit some of their stated meetings. Have a plan and solid numbers, rather than asking for them to come up with it. Again, they'll want to hear about, "the plan," not a dream. A good plan comes together. Most dreams are forgotten when you wake up and smell the coffee, (literally AND figuratively).
And, I mean that in a friendly way. :wink:

My advice comes from being involved in these organizations and knowing that contributing to a local effort benefits both the requestor and the organization. Ultimately, it benefits the people, (veterans) you seek to bring happiness to. Just make sure that it's clear that if you ever decide to sell the truck or part with it, you will give back to the contributing organization in some fashion. That way, it won't be a personal profit for you. I'm sure you know what I mean here.

Good luck.

Last edited:

XM211DOG777

Looking good.

Things are lookin up.
Been gettin feedback from people.
All through here at Steel.
Hoping for the best.
Thanks for the input guys,
really appreciate ALL the advice and help.
Be talking to yas soon.
DOG777

XM211DOG777

Phase II

Yes, a plan.
Plan my work and work my plan.
Actually it is called a business plan, the formal layout of objectives and means to accomplish them.
And yes, I have been in touch with my local community.
I.E.-VFW and the local CAP Squadron(Civil Air Patrol).
As things take time, I have been moving too fast,
the truck and the haul is on me.
Before I ask anyone to invest in my idea,
I must prove beyound a shadow of a doubt,
that things are according to Hoyle.
And since I work for Uncle Sam,
I must abide by the
Codes of Conduct.
Which means I cannot and will not get involved in anything that may discredit myself or reflect any bad vibes to the government.(They are pretty strict about that)
Anyway, I have been getting some good feedback from a fellow Steel Soldier,he has come forward to help.
I gotta have faith in him, he has a good reputation here,so,we will see.
Until the deal is done, I will leave his name out of it.
If he dont mind me talkin, I will,but,for now he is anomnyous.
I also gootta trust the way he suggests to bring it here.
So, we will see what TRUST means.
Talk to ya all soon.
DOG777

XM211DOG777

Gotta make a decision.

Thanks for the info.I will check it out.
I need some advice here,fellas.
I am getting some really good feedback here.
A big question I have is that one of the people who are willing to help me out says they can TOW it here.
My question is-
my XM211 is 57 years old.I have not seen her, and dont really know what condition she is in.
I know the buyer says she runs like a top,
however,
I am concerned about wheels on the ground for a 1500 mile plus trip.
Am I being over cautious???
DOG777

Wild Horse Hans

Well remember he said the tires were not all that great in the ad so I would for sure tell the guy hauling it for you to check them out real good if he is towing it. Trailer would be a better route I would think.
Hans

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my XM211 is 57 years old.I have not seen her, and dont really know what condition she is in. I know the buyer says she runs like a top, however, I am concerned... DOG777
Your own words speak volumes.

Stealing a line from Del Griffith (John Candy), in Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987);
- "If they told you wolverines would make good house pets, would you believe them?"

I'm going to encourage you to become part of the load-out (pick-up) and haul if you can. It sounds like you've already commited to the purchase, but if there is an issue or "concern," you might want to address it at the point-of-departure. Also, unless you are using a commercial hauler who doesn't want or need your help, you'll enjoy getting your hands dirty with going to get it and coming home with it. If for no other reason than to have a personal involvement story to post here on Steel Soldiers!

Having a story is 90% of the fun!

I say, go there. At first, you will :shock:. Then you will either :-D, or :cry:.

On the drive home, you will surely :doh:, a few times.

When you get it home, your neighbors will do this: :roll::shock::evil::lol:

You will however, :jumpin: when it's all said and done.

Speaking of done... You need to, :grd:

XM211DOG777

Yep-you cant argue with logic

Well guys,
I guess I will sleep on this.
The most responsible thing to do,would be to trailer it.
The "gotta have my truck here" mode tells me to let it be towed.
Its out of the question for me to drive her down here,too many downsides.
The blow-out here would be the right price for the right way.
The guy that is offering help is a Saint, I cannot beat his offer.
If only he had a dolly system or a way to keep my wheels off the ground,that would be perfect.
And,the bottom line here is ,
I cannot be penny wise and dollar foolish.
WWooohhoooo.
I never new owning an old army surplus truck could be so much fun.
Its only been 4-5 days and I am biting my fingernails off.
Gee, when I finally get to drive her,
it will be better then SEX.
yuk-yuk-yuk.:roll:

XM211DOG777

Transport booked

Like the man said-
GET ER DONE.
Well,transport is done.Truck will be picked up ,loaded on trailer and be in my front yard by MAY 1st.
Although the man from Steel Soldier who volunteered to TOW my girl down did not receive the BID.I want to thank him very much for proposing the deal he did.I just didnt want to go with the TOW idea,too many possible unknowns.
Anyway,bottom line is, I got a fair shake,now I gotta start giving my nieghbors free coffee and roses,if you know what I mean.
So,you guys get to know me,I will have a zillion questions as time goes by,
I am sorry I sounded like a runny nose kid sometimes here,but,
my heart is in the right place.
Talk to you guys soon,you all are the BEST.
DOG777:grin:

Alredneck

Banned
So does that mean im not towing yoiur truck? OH well, could of got it done for ya safely just like I said but I am on the road right now dealing with Scrapman's duece Then its off to MN to pick up Recovery4x4's Duece dumper. I hope it all works out for ya no harm no foul. Good Luck in the new business, if you need anything else moved just let me know! Thanks Captain

XM211DOG777

God Bless you Captain

Captain,
I had to go with the "no wheels onthe ground" route. I know you would have done it safely and your deal was way over the top generous, I am beholden to your offer. I just didnt want to take the chance of my truck not being worthy of the road trip.I have no idea what shape she is in,being 57 years old, you gotta admit, thats a loota miles on old tires and wheels and axles. Like you say,no harm,no foul.But, I do miss the opportunity to have you do it.You were the one that came to the plate.Hope I didnt do to much wrong, ........sorrry for the disappointment.

XM211DOG777

UPDATE 20APRIL2k9

Well,
I got my TO and TM manuals today.Interesting books,even has information on gas driven tanks of the early fifties.Ten plus/minus days till my little girl arrives.
Cant wait.
DOG777
:-D

XM211DOG777

Update 26 april 2k9

Sup my fellow "greens"?
Well, about one more week and "Ole K9" will be here.
Got all my other vehicles moved aside leaving my 24ft x 10 patch of concrete for her to land on.
Will be looking for ports of spare parts and other maintenance items,especially special wrenchs,such as the "Head" bolt wrench.Anyone got any feedback,let me know.
DOG777:|

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks