• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does not drain the trailer, but it makes a great mobile pool!
The trailer is fun to drain after it's got 3 or 4" in it. Just park on a slight incline, open the tailgate, and get washed down the driveway when it comes roaring out (wearing a swim suit is recommended).

m38inmaine

I took the bilge pump out when I had the engine out like Tom suggested. My bilge pump screen was clogged solid with grease/oil and dirt, it's easy to get out with the engine out of the way. You could take it out through the access plate on the bottom of the hull if you had to. While I had the engine out I did everything I could think of in that area.

m38inmaine

Nice, yeah my battery went dead and I did not know it. Good job on getting the head on, I filled mine with water tonight and ran it for 20-30 minutes, according to my gauge it maxed out at 160 degrees, not sure if that is normal for just idling. I have the timing gauge if you need one for the injectors.

Gamagoat1

Checked the fuel lines for leaks with the deleted cold start, no leaks good to go. Parts required to delete the cold start assembly are a 1/8 pipe cap and a 1/4 pipe cap. Replaced the connector on the temp sender and oil sender, these connectors seem to break the wire insulation right where it enters the connector. While the engine was running I checked the gauges, had 30+ psi oil pressure and ammeter was on the high side of green. Bilge pump fires up, carrier stop light tested good, instrument lights good but no wipers. Checked for power at the wipers, no power. Checked the circuit breaker for the wiper circuit and found it was open. Never had one of these go bad so I had to order up a replacement. Tomorrow I will fill it up with water and container of engine/radiator flush and let it run up to temp. The on to bleeding the brakes.
You may wish you had that cold start with the weather you get up there. I'm in Colorado and definitely need it in the cold winter.

m38inmaine

My garage is heated and the only time I would take it out in very cold weather is if I was stuck and needed to be pulled out. Got two brake drums cleaned and ready to go and filled the MC with fluid, have to work overtime tomorrow so the brakes will have to wait for another day.

m38inmaine

Bled the brakes, took a while to get fluid to all six corners starting with the furthest away from the MC working to the front. No fancy tools, hose in a jar of fluid and brakes strapped to they would not expand, this way I could easily see if there were any leaks. Today I will finish cleaning up the drums and install them and a final bleed of the system.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Finished the brakes today, nice firm pedal right at the top. Installed all the drums then re bled through the access hole, used a Craftsman max access socket/ratchet they are hollow, ran the bleed tube right through the center, worked great. Installed a temporary set of batteries on passenger side floor, will install a temp fuel tank just ahead of them perhaps tomorrow. Also installed a battery cut off switch behind the drivers seat for safety. Drove it ahead and back a few feet, felt good to see it move under its own power, could not move it much with the out board temp fuel tank. Replaced wiper/horn circuit breaker, wipers work now.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the progress. Brakes were what I was fighting all the time. Sounds like yours are going to be solid.

m38inmaine

Yes, given the problems others have had in the past I took extra time with them. I replaced the MC and wheel cylinders with new and carefully inspected and replaced the lines. Hope to make a test drive on my road today or tomorrow and see just how well they work.

m38inmaine

Installed a temp fuel tank today, test drove it down and back on my road, went well and stopped, reverse etc. Having never driven one it seems high geared, you really have to wind it out. Also seems like a lot of steering action, one of those wheel spinner suicide knobs would come in handy. It's taken about 11 months to get it to this point and still more to do.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks