• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

m38inmaine

Started working on the rear de mill damage on the tractor, trial fit of the engine cover. Come along, hydraulic jack, hammer, lumber and sign post all employed to move the metal back where it belongs.

Attachments

combat32

I have a couple of bent vanes on my hood and have not had much luck trying to straighten them out.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

m38inmaine

I had just a few on the rear that were bent, I used a pair of needle nose pliers using a twisting motion on the end of the vane nearest the bend. In effect rolling the end of the vane slightly as when these bend it is stretching the aluminum. They will never be perfect but are closer.

combat32

Mark and I like to recycle old crap, we're trying to save the planet:mrgreen:

Did he by chance have the oil lines from the pump to the t-case?

m38inmaine

Thanks Tom, yes I have revived many parts from Tom and Mark, without them I would not have a working machine. Gives me great satisfaction and a better appreciation of it knowing where the parts came from and the bit of extra effort rebuilding them. My most recent rebuild was the one wiper arm I had, blasted, primed and painted it, could have easily ordered one but now I only had to buy one.

combat32

Me too, by the time I am up and running my goat will have parts in it from at least 8 different machines, kind of a Goat of many colors, or perhaps more like Johnny Cash's psycobilly Cadillac!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had a pretty good parts circle going until I blew it and sold mine. I actually just moved the engine block out of the shop for the scrap guy to pick up tomorrow.

m38inmaine

Received a few parts, wiper arm, mirrors, snap studs for the seats and some decals. I already had a hearing decal but looking through the manual I had the wrong one, don't want the goat police pointing that out. Took a M151 jeep fuel sending unit that was not working and turned it into a gama goat sender. Took it apart and cleaned the connections then simply swapped out the float/arm for the longer goat arm. The upper half is identical as well as the specs.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Tom, oil pump arrived today and is pumping oil, very pleased. Of course now that something is working the starter is now acting up, making a terrible racket when starting, previous start perfect then the racket.

Attachments

m38inmaine

I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning, actually looked new inside. I didn't bother trying the hand priming, I pulled oil through it with a suction gun and when I test drove it I could see oil pumping through the clear tube.

m38inmaine

That did but now something is binding my engine up, it will barely turn over and it's making a terrible noise when cranking and cranking slow even with the slave, sounds like the noise is in the front of the engine near the bell housing, it's obvious something is wrong as the engine is struggling to idle as well and low on power. What's strange is that it doesn't make the same noise when running. The starter and wires are getting hot when starting so it's struggling to turn the engine over, before it was an instant start, couldn't tell the starter even spun. With only 3 weeks to the rally it isn't looking good.

Another Ahab

Hope Springs Eternal

That did but now something is binding my engine up, it will barely turn over and it's making a terrible noise when cranking and cranking slow even with the slave, sounds like the noise is in the front of the engine near the bell housing, it's obvious something is wrong as the engine is struggling to idle as well and low on power. What's strange is that it doesn't make the same noise when running. The starter and wires are getting hot when starting so it's struggling to turn the engine over, before it was an instant start, couldn't tell the starter even spun. With only 3 weeks to the rally it isn't looking good.

hope2.jpg

combat32

Did you rebuild your fuel pump? When we did mine we found that the yoke on the back of the fuel pump was bent.

After replacing it the engine turned over much better and smooth, just something to check.

Warthog went and looked at some engines for me in Oklahoma, they are there and complete but have set out in the open for several years.

Check the fuel pump, could be causing both problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks