• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For Saturn it looks nice. Great job. Unfortunately, have not been following your thread to closely lately, does it look like you will have it at Weare?

m38inmaine

I bought a complete engine gasket kit(military)from Red River in TX. The head gaskets(metal rings)were rusty so I had to order them new from a commercial source. Also the oil pan gasket was dried out and stiff so I also bought it commercially. I was never able to locate a part number for those water tube grommets but the kit has them.

m38inmaine

That's it, see you are still on the ball. Here is a picture of the throttle linkage on the bell housing, I am missing the extension piece that bolts to the horizontal arm. If anyone has a picture of their linkage and a couple more as it goes back so I can see how it attaches to the bracket that would be great, must be the "rod" type not the cable type. I am converting from the cable type to the rod type.

Attachments

Last edited:

combat32

I don't have a picture of it at hand and my motor is at my friends house still, I'm sure some others here could shoot you a pic of theirs.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just trying to bank some good will until karma comes back around. I need to get you guys into LMTVs so we can keep UPS in business.

m38inmaine

Put Tom's packing material to good use as weather seal on the air duct, they are 3/4x3/4, finished the LH side of the engine hook up and finished the spin on filters. Installed the surge tank and all but 1 hose, replaced all with new. Clutch linkage is in and adjusted and working smooth Picked up a 5 gal pail of gear oil today and will be filling up the drive train next.

Attachments

m38inmaine

The lower front left fender bracket was missing/ripped off so I had to fabricate one. I made a cardboard template from the RH bracket and used it to trace one out on a section of damaged goat fender. Bent it in the vice using some heat from a propane torch along the edge, I'm quite happy with the results. Will have a friend weld the seam on the bracket and weld it to the hull, I will drill the mounting hole when the fender is in pace to insure accuracy.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Tailgate blasted and primed, it was a NOS unit that had sat in a wet box and got rusty. She shows some pitting in the recess but the tools should cover most of it. Seems strange an all aluminum truck would have a steel tailgate, the choice of steel sure wasn't for strength.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tailgate blasted and primed, it was a NOS unit that had sat in a wet box and got rusty. She shows some pitting in the recess but the tools should cover most of it. Seems strange an all aluminum truck would have a steel tailgate, the choice of steel sure wasn't for strength.
Mine had the same issue but it sure beat the one that came on it.