• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

opinions about Deuce 6x6 with HEMTT wheels/395/85R20's

2003hummer h1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im thinking about singling out my deuce and can't decide what to go with. Anyone have experience with HEMTT wheels with bolt on adapter plates? and 395/85R 20 goodyears on the 6x6?
I also have m35A3 wheels which are expensive, and the 395/85R20's as the other choice.

Im a little worried about stopping power with all the added weight, but 5-10 mph faster is appealing. And added height and wider tires look really nice!

thanks

welldigger

Nothing wrong with hemtt wheels and adapters but by the time you buy the wheels, adapter plates, and all of the hardware to bolt it all together you can find a3 wheels for about the same price. As far as drivability of the 395's everyone seems to love them. I'm in the process of singling out my deuce with 395's on a3 wheels. Just picked my wheels up from the powder coater today.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So your asking if a truck that is rated to haul 10, 000lbs will be able to stop rims and tires that are 100lbs heavier than a stock configuration?

Consider what dual rims and tires weighs VS singles, not much difference!

I have 395s on hemtt rims and can "lock them up" easily when the truck is empty.

2003hummer h1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the feedback welldigger, I really wanted to go w/ the A3's the main reason being that they were original and no modifications were needed. no weak links involved. but the best price I can get so far is $400 per wheel. I found 6 HEMTT/395 for a great price and I have a friend with access to lazer and CNC. Send some pix when you get the wheels on. Ill be going up to the sussex MV show this month so maybe Ill find some A3 wheels at a better price.
thanks,
Donald

gimpyrobb

If you have to do any maint on the tires, The A3 rims would be a 2 part rim and the Hemtt rim would be a 3 part rim. I am taking my rims and tires apart to put bead locks in. It is kinda a pain to work with, though none of the rims are light!

Kohburn

Thanks for the feedback welldigger, I really wanted to go w/ the A3's the main reason being that they were original and no modifications were needed. no weak links involved. but the best price I can get so far is $400 per wheel. I found 6 HEMTT/395 for a great price and I have a friend with access to lazer and CNC. Send some pix when you get the wheels on. Ill be going up to the sussex MV show this month so maybe Ill find some A3 wheels at a better price.
thanks,
Donald
still a lot of debate about the safety of running incompatible rim and tire beads, it's highly discouraged due to possible tire sidewall failure.

welldigger

still a lot of debate about the safety of running incompatible rim and tire beads, it's highly discouraged due to possible tire sidewall failure.
Not sure what you mean. The issue of incompatibility arises when you attempt to mount an mpt tire on non-mpt wheels. The bead will never seat correctly. However you are perfectly fine putting non-mpt tires on mpt wheels. Such as 395's on a3 wheels.

gimpyrobb

Thanks for the pics.
Are the Hemtt wheel adapters just flat plate sandwiched between frt & rear halves ?
No, that would not let the rim close onto the O-ring and keep air in. The plate is put in front, or behind the wheel halves(but yes it is just a flat plate).

2003hummer h1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plates C&C is making are 3/8" grade 50 steel and will bolt up to the 16 bolts on the HEMTT wheel. There will be some modifications made. Ill post pix of the job in a couple weeks.

Kohburn

Not sure what you mean. The issue of incompatibility arises when you attempt to mount an mpt tire on non-mpt wheels. The bead will never seat correctly. However you are perfectly fine putting non-mpt tires on mpt wheels. Such as 395's on a3 wheels.
thanks for clearing it up - I couldn't remember all the details, just the mpt non-mpt issue in general.

Mud Hugger

I put 395 XMLs on my a2 duece couple years ago. I used stock wheels and tubes.....only issue is my turning radius was shortened because driver side rubs oon drag link. Planning on fixing that soon.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put 395 MVt's on the stock deuce wheels. I saw the lack of clearance between the tire and inner fender gills, as well as the drag link. So then I had two stock wheels widened to 10 inches by adding three inches from extra wheels. The additional width was added to the outside, moving the tire away from the gills and drag link. No problems with clearance now. It works great, drives better and faster, and stops just fine. However, I will put wider tubeless wheels with beadlocks on because it is better for off-roading, which I do quite a bit of. Working towards MRAP wheels and adapter plates.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks