• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Options for replacing cushions in M998

Mario

I just got my M998.
My OEM seat seems fine for short, daily driving.
The passenger one appears fine but when sitting in it, it literally feels like you're sitting on metal bench.

Long term, I'm considering upgrading all 4 seats.

Short term, I'm looking for options to just upgrade the cushions.
Anyone look at Home Depot or Lowes for some outdoor patio furniture cushions? They would be outdoor rated, and depending on seat dimensions, might be a decent enough fit.
Alternatively I could ask local upholstery or awning company to see what they would charge, but I think it would be $100+ per seat.

Wire Fox

Gear Report

Are you guys planning any detailed write-up? I do most of a my HMMWV research during downtime at work, and I can't watch videos at work. Plus, I just like reading things throughout the day anyway...
Funny you would say this. We ONLY did written reviews for YEARS. However, people kept asking for videos... so we spent a lot of time and $ learning how to produce videos, buying good video equipment, etc. In this case we don't have a full written review. I'll add a quick summary to the original article... but it is only a 6 min video. I'm sure you can find time to watch it after/before work soon. :)

This one has the step by step install instructions in the pictures below the videos:
http://gear-report.com/humvee-upgrade-how-to-install-oregon-aero-hmmwv-seats

Wire Fox

Funny you would say this. We ONLY did written reviews for YEARS. However, people kept asking for videos... so we spent a lot of time and $ learning how to produce videos, buying good video equipment, etc. In this case we don't have a full written review. I'll add a quick summary to the original article... but it is only a 6 min video. I'm sure you can find time to watch it after/before work soon. :)

This one has the step by step install instructions in the pictures below the videos:
http://gear-report.com/humvee-upgrade-how-to-install-oregon-aero-hmmwv-seats
Oh, thanks for that link. I didn't see this one at first. The picture step-by-step is fine. Just enough detail to track out where you got the stuff and what went on during your process. I was lucky enough that my HMMWV came with high-back seats in the cab, but I'm certainly interested in better seats for the rear if I ever decide to go 4-door (or no-dollar open four door, just for an off-road outing with friends).

Gear Report

Oh, thanks for that link. I didn't see this one at first. The picture step-by-step is fine. Just enough detail to track out where you got the stuff and what went on during your process. I was lucky enough that my HMMWV came with high-back seats in the cab, but I'm certainly interested in better seats for the rear if I ever decide to go 4-door (or no-dollar open four door, just for an off-road outing with friends).
Almost done adding the summary to the first link above. :)
FWIW, Oregon Aero only sent the front seats, since we were in 2 man config at the time. Last night I converted 2 high back Commander seats to rear seats for the Battlewagon. We are letting the LizardSkin coatings cure today and tomorrow before painting the interior and reinstalling all the seats the seats.

We just converted from 2 to 4 man. I liked the HMMWV in 2 man config and mainly drive with just me or maybe one person with me. So, while I wanted to be able to carry more people, the bigger consideration was getting more interior storage room. Something simple like going to the range to test guns meant putting most everything in the bed, exposed to the elements. After installing the dual radio shelves and 2 man cargo divider there was barely any space at all. Blac-Rac.com sent a vertical rifle rack to install, but we didn't have room to bolt it in without giving up the tiny bit of interior storage we had. So, I am THRILLED at the amount of usable space in the Battlewagon now.

Mario

Since the fabric is in great condition and it's just the padding that needed replacement, I went to local Jo-Ann Fabric craft store and bought 3" foam.
Cut it to size, cut outside stitching on the back of the seat, stuffed the foam and had wife resaw it.
It looks great and only time will tell if it holds up.

Mario

As to Jeff's recommendation -- thank you. I saw the video few weeks ago, but at over $300 per cushion, it's too rich for my blood.
At this price I might as well look into upgrading the seats all together.

Gear Report

As to Jeff's recommendation -- thank you. I saw the video few weeks ago, but at over $300 per cushion, it's too rich for my blood.
At this price I might as well look into upgrading the seats all together.
The Oregon Aero seats certainly aren't for everyone. However, I have original seats, military high backs and the OA cushions. The OA's really are way better than the high backs that most people upgrade to. But if you aren't spending hours behind the wheel at a time, then you may not really get enough out of them to justify the cost. As to other aftermarket options, I don't think there are any available that use the same types of memory foam for any less than what OA charges. They are pricey, but really are in a different class than the cheap stuff that most people put in HMMWVs.

That said, I'm interested to hear how the DIY cushions work out for you. I am a big DIY project fan myself. :)

Bravojmc

The Oregon Aero seats certainly aren't for everyone. However, I have original seats, military high backs and the OA cushions. The OA's really are way better than the high backs that most people upgrade to. But if you aren't spending hours behind the wheel at a time, then you may not really get enough out of them to justify the cost. As to other aftermarket options, I don't think there are any available that use the same types of memory foam for any less than what OA charges. They are pricey, but really are in a different class than the cheap stuff that most people put in HMMWVs.

That said, I'm interested to hear how the DIY cushions work out for you. I am a big DIY project fan myself. :)

Gear Report.
As for the Oregan Aero cushions... Did you have to pay for them? Or did they send them to you free of charge for the review? If you didn't pay for them, are they that good for over $300 a cushion that you'd go out and spend that kind of coin on them..? They look nice but $WOW$

Gear Report

Gear Report.
As for the Oregon Aero cushions... Did you have to pay for them? Or did they send them to you free of charge for the review? If you didn't pay for them, are they that good for over $300 a cushion that you'd go out and spend that kind of coin on them..? They look nice but $WOW$
We rarely review anything that isn't sent by the brand for review. :)
As noted in the review, the cushions were provided by Oregon Aero. With the amount of work we put into reviews, nothing we review is remotely "free".
I don't know if I would purchase them, as we rarely drive the Battlewagon more than 15 minutes. At those distances tolerating inferior seats is acceptable. Our usage pattern is rather unconventional, though. The Battlewagon was purchased as a marketing vehicle and a platform for upgrade reviews.
If I were spending hours in the HMMWV, then the OA seats would be a no brainer. And I have nothing to gain by recommending the cushions. In fact, as a review site, we have to be very careful what we recommend, else we risk losing credibility.

Bravojmc

We rarely review anything that isn't sent by the brand for review. :)
As noted in the review, the cushions were provided by Oregon Aero. With the amount of work we put into reviews, nothing we review is remotely "free".
I don't know if I would purchase them, as we rarely drive the Battlewagon more than 15 minutes. At those distances tolerating inferior seats is acceptable. Our usage pattern is rather unconventional, though. The Battlewagon was purchased as a marketing vehicle and a platform for upgrade reviews.
If I were spending hours in the HMMWV, then the OA seats would be a no brainer. And I have nothing to gain by recommending the cushions. In fact, as a review site, we have to be very careful what we recommend, else we risk losing credibility.
Understand. I like the look of them and they look comfy but I don't know if I can pull the heavy trigger. Your review was in depth and liked. Thank you for your response.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got my M998.
My OEM seat seems fine for short, daily driving.
The passenger one appears fine but when sitting in it, it literally feels like you're sitting on metal bench.

Long term, I'm considering upgrading all 4 seats.

Short term, I'm looking for options to just upgrade the cushions.
Anyone look at Home Depot or Lowes for some outdoor patio furniture cushions? They would be outdoor rated, and depending on seat dimensions, might be a decent enough fit.
Alternatively I could ask local upholstery or awning company to see what they would charge, but I think it would be $100+ per seat.
You might consider supporting local business and going to a local automobile interior shoppe. The seats are simple, and should not cost much to re-pad. Padding material comes in several different densities and can be mixed and matched. You can always ask for several pieces to be placed on top of each other and then use the good old butt test.

Automobile interior supply shoppes will sell you the material if you think you are able to do this yourself.

If you are happy with the driver's side seat, you can ask the shop to make one like it.

I think a good question for this thread would be "what material is used as foam for the seat bases and seat backs?" I would assume the foam is moisture resistant and sheds water with a closed cell foam.

Given the simplicity of these seats, I do not believe the OA seats are worth it. They are most likely using super light materials, (ie.: expensive), because they are an aircraft company. I have never heard of one of our vehicles being considered light or airworthy. A few extra pounds of weight will not make a difference to us so there is no need to spend outrageous amounts of money for aircraft grade materials.

MHO,

Your mileage may vary.

T

Gear Report

You might consider supporting local business and going to a local automobile interior shoppe. The seats are simple, and should not cost much to re-pad. Padding material comes in several different densities and can be mixed and matched. You can always ask for several pieces to be placed on top of each other and then use the good old butt test.
Automobile interior supply shoppes will sell you the material if you think you are able to do this yourself.
If you are happy with the driver's side seat, you can ask the shop to make one like it.
I think a good question for this thread would be "what material is used as foam for the seat bases and seat backs?" I would assume the foam is moisture resistant and sheds water with a closed cell foam.
Given the simplicity of these seats, I do not believe the OA seats are worth it. They are most likely using super light materials, (ie.: expensive), because they are an aircraft company. I have never heard of one of our vehicles being considered light or airworthy. A few extra pounds of weight will not make a difference to us so there is no need to spend outrageous amounts of money for aircraft grade materials.
MHO,
Your mileage may vary.
T
Actually, OA makes a LOT of non-aircraft products, including a wide variety of military marine and ground vehicle seats. As it was explained to me, the assumption that the OA seats are expensive because of weight concerns driving up costs is incorrect. The OA cushions actually weigh a good bit more than the stock cushions. However, they do have a variety of layers of various densities and types of rather expensive types of foams.

We all seem to agree that the stock cushions suck royally. I also agree that they are simple. However, I'm struggling with the logic that since the sucky seats are simple, that somehow influences whether the OA seats are "worth it". The two are unrelated.

All that said, I think we already determined that the Bravo doesn't want to spend that much for seats.

I really like the suggestion of patronizing a local seat shop.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm struggling with the logic that since the sucky seats are simple, that somehow influences whether the OA seats are "worth it". The two are unrelated.
One is independent of the other...

Sucky seats are sucky seats. If you feel HMMWV/M998 seats are sucky then trash them altogether.

$600 a seat will buy amazing custom seats, seats and frames and bases and all.

You can almost make custom Aluminum seats or fiberglass seats for the price if you have talent.

So why then work on sucky seats when you can replace?

(My seat pads are new. I will continue to evaluate the seats but so far they are not a disaster).

And thanks... Supporting local business is always a good idea.

Last edited:

Gear Report

One is independent of the other...
Sucky seats are sucky seats. If you feel HMMWV/M998 seats are sucky then trash them altogether.
$600 a seat will buy amazing custom seats, seats and frames and bases and all.
You can almost make custom Aluminum seats or fiberglass seats for the price if you have talent.
So why then work on sucky seats when you can replace?
(My seat pads are new. I will continue to evaluate the seats but so far they are not a disaster).
Because they are a known quantity. :)
Custom... may be better, or may not. Even great seat makers don't get everything right on the first try when custom designing seats for a new application. If I have $600 for a seat it would be hard to justify the risk of hoping that the custom shop does better than the proven OA cushions. The OA seats were designed by engineers with lots of experience working with rather high tech materials and techniques to make military ground vehicle seats, and refined after field use.

Again... I'm not arguing FOR the OA seats as much as I am arguing against the logic used to disqualify them outright. I suspect that the price of the OA seats make them a poor fit for lots of HMMWV owners who simply don't spend enough time with their butts in the seats to justify the expense of any sort of $600 seat.

We've got a high back seat in storage and an extra driver's seat base ready to install the high back on. We haven't done it yet because the OA seat is too comfortable.
Sadly, as a review site, we probably need to go ahead and convert the extra seat base and install the high back seat simply because there is demand for that sort of DIY project review. It will help a lot of folks who are looking to do a similar conversion. But I will be surprised if the OA seat doesn't find it's way back into the Battlewagon as soon as the testing on the high back is done.

ryanruck

Actually, OA makes a LOT of non-aircraft products, including a wide variety of military marine and ground vehicle seats. As it was explained to me, the assumption that the OA seats are expensive because of weight concerns driving up costs is incorrect. The OA cushions actually weigh a good bit more than the stock cushions. However, they do have a variety of layers of various densities and types of rather expensive types of foams.

We all seem to agree that the stock cushions suck royally. I also agree that they are simple. However, I'm struggling with the logic that since the sucky seats are simple, that somehow influences whether the OA seats are "worth it". The two are unrelated.

All that said, I think we already determined that the Bravo doesn't want to spend that much for seats.

I really like the suggestion of patronizing a local seat shop.
You're right about that!

I was more familiar with Oregon Aero because of their ACH/MICH helmet pad upgrade sets. A bit pricey if you're buying them on your own but just about a must have for those helmets if you're going to wear them for any length of time.

Didn't know they did seat cushions too but, it certainly makes sense and I have no doubt that based on their helmet pads the seat cushions are probably great!

That said, I opted for whole seat replacements, but not the regular high backs. I went with some MRAP seats manufactured by BAE for the RG-33. I used to see these all over eBay but it seems like they've dried up. I paid about $200 each.

seats_zpsynd9kpys.jpg

They fit great, are really comfortable (I've done 2 hour drives in them no problem), fold forward and recline, and they're light enough to lift out with the seat lids no problem. They also are made out of a rubberized Cordura so they repel water and clean up well. The downside is that, because they're rubberized, they don't breathe all that well when you're sitting in them.

From last Spring before I did a lot of the work I've done to my truck. Clearly, the seats were one of my first upgrades. :mrgreen:

IMG_1015_zpszbqynql8.jpg IMG_1017_zpsmxzfaczr.jpg

Just make sure if you go with replacement seats, they don't have a really tall frame bottom. There's a type of MRAP seat you'll find a bunch of out there on eBay now but they will not work out of the box because the frame bottom is too tall. They can be made to work but it takes some modification.

NV555

You're right about that!

I was more familiar with Oregon Aero because of their ACH/MICH helmet pad upgrade sets. A bit pricey if you're buying them on your own but just about a must have for those helmets if you're going to wear them for any length of time.

Didn't know they did seat cushions too but, it certainly makes sense and I have no doubt that based on their helmet pads the seat cushions are probably great!

That said, I opted for whole seat replacements, but not the regular high backs. I went with some MRAP seats manufactured by BAE for the RG-33. I used to see these all over eBay but it seems like they've dried up. I paid about $200 each.

View attachment 673968

They fit great, are really comfortable (I've done 2 hour drives in them no problem), fold forward and recline, and they're light enough to lift out with the seat lids no problem. They also are made out of a rubberized Cordura so they repel water and clean up well. The downside is that, because they're rubberized, they don't breathe all that well when you're sitting in them.

From last Spring before I did a lot of the work I've done to my truck. Clearly, the seats were one of my first upgrades. :mrgreen:

View attachment 673970 View attachment 673973

Just make sure if you go with replacement seats, they don't have a really tall frame bottom. There's a type of MRAP seat you'll find a bunch of out there on eBay now but they will not work out of the box because the frame bottom is too tall. They can be made to work but it takes some modification.
I agree the mrap seats are very nice they are just as comfortable as the seats in my Dodge truck if you want really comfortable seats they are very much worth the investment I cannot say how happy I am with mine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks