• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oskosh snow plow

crasheej

They were real work hores. I just didn't like to have to go out on thr flitline to work on them with snow blowing up your back. That stuff is cold and wet. Gald to hear the book is almost done.

JimM37

Hey Ernie,
One chapter left on the blowers and one on the rebuild program then it's off to the Graphic designer to straighten stuff out and the editor. I'll try and send you some more pages tomorrow so you can see what I've been up to.

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spent many hours (days) clearing runways in vehicles exactly like those pictured at Griffiss AFB.
They would go thru snow nearly 10 feet high. Not much would stop them.
I wish I had a roll over plow now to clear the roads to tower sites, sure would do better than my F-250.
We receive 14 inches of snow here and nearly 24 inches up in the mountains.

I see your all chained up.

Thanks for posting pictures Jim, and put me down for a first edition copy of your book. Still stinging from having to put my WT2206 down this past summer. On a brighter note, been playing around with the Walter plow truck recently:D

JimM37

Jim who made the ribbon blower?
Sicard bought out a company out of Denver, called Snowblast and absorbed the company and their designs. The ribbons took the place of the hi-speed blowers, the ones we talked about that no one ever saw working. That yellow one is going in the book was delivered to Loring in the late sixtys when did you bail outa there?
The other ones are from Wurtsmith in Lower Michigan.

Attachments

JimM37

Thanks for posting pictures Jim, and put me down for a first edition copy of your book. Still stinging from having to put my WT2206 down this past summer. On a brighter note, been playing around with the Walter plow truck recently:D
I was sad that had to happen man, I hate to see an old warrior like that go to the scrapyard.I 'm on the last two chapters of the book now. It should go to my graphic designer and editor then off to get printed. It'll be over 300 pages richly illustrated with color. gonna cost a fortune to print.
I'll post some of the pages off and on here.

Attachments

JimM37

Jim who made the ribbon blower?
Heres a picture of the mystery blower the VX on one of the WT2206's I hoping someone on this site saw one working. I'd like to BS with them. Phil at Sicard told me they sold 19 VX equipped WT2206s in the early 60's to the Air Force.

This is the one that was replaced by the ribbon blower. It was supposed to have cleared a 12 foot path of runway with 2-5 inches at 25 MPH. In fact in the operators manual it says you can travel no less than 15 MPH to feed the thing.Ida
paid money to see that.....

Attachments

crasheej

Jim I was there June of 69 to june 70. I don't rember of seeing it there. We ran the test on the snowblast, I know rhat the thing would eat snow and blow it to h--l from the runway. did you use that pic?

JimM37

Jim I was there June of 69 to june 70. I don't rember of seeing it there. We ran the test on the snowblast, I know rhat the thing would eat snow and blow it to h--l from the runway. did you use that pic?
Yeah I'm going to try and put all of the ones you sent in. They are great and a great part of history of the truck. mind if I throw a few of them in here to show the other fellas?

rickf

I like the one with the muffler mounted to the roof. Less exhaust noise but that thing must have vibrated your teeth out! Unless it was rubber mounted.

Rick

JimM37

I like the one with the muffler mounted to the roof. Less exhaust noise but that thing must have vibrated your teeth out! Unless it was rubber mounted.

Rick
It was still pretty loud in the cab but a lot quieter than the one with just the straight stack coming up through the hood, I'm here to tell ya.
I'd like to have one here we already have over 160 inches of snow this year and it's only February. Its too heavy for just two axles the State Police DOT guy could make a living outa following me around and giving me overweight tickets.

hankstrucks

Dan Paterson is the one guy near up state coopers town ny that has parts for oshkosh plow trucks for those who needs them. He also knows a lot about the trucks and the specs on them. The millitary plow trucks are not easy to get the parts. The shame is the parts on all of these monsters are drying up. H

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
S A Mclean up in Limerick Me has parts as well and alot of info. I was up there last week getting parts. If he cant find them your out of luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks