• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our NEWEST project: M1010 Ambulance

Madmedic

Thanks. We're road testing it around Houston Freeways right now, driving for longer and longer periods of time and distance to make sure all the drive train parts are up to snuff.

We ARE keeping the Attendant's Jump seat. While crews did not use this on a regular basis, it was used. Especially if we were performing a longer distance transport or had multiple patients. When locked in place on the runners, it was stored in the front corner on the driver's side.

Jump Seat 1.jpgJump Seat 4.jpg

Madmedic

Well,,,,, I finally have the M1010 restored to the point that we decided it was time to make it's public debut. It's first event was at the museum of the G.I. Of course one is never fully happy with their own work. There are always things we think of that we should have done to tweak the display. So, this 1st post is at Brent Mullin's and then I'll do the second of Camp Mabry Muster Day.

Originally as you can see, I had intended to have the M-Gator we restored for Carlos, included as part of the medical display. But that plan went out the window, and we wound up using it around the event most of the time.

IMG_1004.jpgIMG_1005.jpgIMG_1006.jpg

Madmedic

Our second showing was this past weekend at Camp Mabry in Austin, for Muster Day. On the drive up, we didn't have any problems with DPS, but I met up with 2 National Guard Vehicles outside of Camp Swift. They were also going to Mabry, but didn't know how to get there. So we convoyed in.

Our display was set up right next to an EXCELLENT Chaplain's Display courtesy of the Lone Star Chapter of MVPA. The two displays dovetailed together quite well.

For this event I was able to add some additional Mannequins. 1 as a driver, and 1 as a second patient inside the patient compartment. The final addition to this display will be a 2nd medic treating the patient inside. I was also able to print out more detailed information sheets for this display. The M1010 came from the Texas Army National Guard, so I kept the vehicle markings true, and the mannequins were decorated as being part of the Texas National Guard.

IMG_1060.jpgIMG_1084.jpgIMG_1083.jpgIMG_1065.jpgIMG_1062.jpgIMG_1063.jpgIMG_1081.jpgIMG_1073.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you were in my usual spot at Mabry. I generally like it under the trees and I can also watch while they bring the tanks out the front door of the museum. Sadly this was the second event of the year I had to miss. Hope you can make the Central Texas Air Show in Temple though. I'd like to see your display. I was never able to get up to that level of accessories with my M1010.

Madmedic

Not sure if we'll make Temple. I'll talk to Carlos and see what his plans are. If he goes, I'll probably go.

I knew I had taken someone's usual spot, but when we got there, there was un-certainty as to how many vehicles Lone Star was going to have there, so we had to reserve the spaces along the museum for them. Wasn't much problem with the tanks, (at the beginning). They had already moved the Hetzer and Sherman out.

SAT NITE was a different story. Events for sunday were cancelled due to weather. So, they wanted to bring everything back in. The drivers of the Sherman, along with good ground guides got it back into the museum, but it was tight. If I'd known what was going on, I would have gone out and moved the M1010, so they had more room to maneuver but I was inside helping Carlos.

I usually keep the M1010 stored at the store (Spring Army Surplus) if you're in the area, come on by and take a look.

MountieM1010

The M1010 looks great. I bought mine about 2 weeks ago and am doing the usual maintenance. Fan belts, fluids, some electrical etc. Mine had only 37800 kilometers on it when I bought it and runs great. These are great machines.

rustystud

You did a wonderful job on that restoration ! The whole display looks fantastic ! I just wish I could see it in person !
Also as a Chaplains assistant in the Marines that display brings back memories !

Last edited:

Madmedic

The M1010 looks great. I bought mine about 2 weeks ago and am doing the usual maintenance. Fan belts, fluids, some electrical etc. Mine had only 37800 kilometers on it when I bought it and runs great. These are great machines.
Mountie, as you can see from this thread..... We've had a lot of fun, and a lot of work with this one. It truly is a labor of love. A word of warning, our unit came from a Texas National Guard unit, who used it for Airport duties. So we believe the low mileage on the odometer is actual. BUT even with that low mileage, we had to replace the transmission several months ago, before we went to the Museum of the G.I. Event.

So basically what I am saying, is that even though they have low mileage, or low use, they're still 30+ years old. Be prepared, but have fun!!

Madmedic

You did a wonderful job on that restoration ! The whole display looks fantastic ! I just wish I could see it in person !
Also as a Chaplains assistant in the Marines that display brings back memories !
Rusty, the man who did the Chaplain's display did an absolutely beautiful job. I feel that my pictures didn't do his display justice. He is an actual chaplain for a Police Department here in Texas.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rusty, the man who did the Chaplain's display did an absolutely beautiful job. I feel that my pictures didn't do his display justice. He is an actual chaplain for a Police Department here in Texas.
He's also the Lone Star MVPA Chaplain and a Desert Storm M1 veteran.

tbearatkin

Question, did they ever have a gun rack mounting hardware like is found in the M-1009 and M-1008? While your group would have two corpsmen one to drive and one to administer in the back ours did not. Seabee Battalions are limited in the number of Corpsmen. I believe we had 6 at the most for 600 Bees. No way would we allow two corpsmen in an Ambulance. The driver was typically an EO (Equipment operator) of which the Seabees had a 100's of those. The EO would have a rifle that needed to be stowed somewhere.

Madmedic

Short Answer: "NO". Long answer, Strict interpretation of the Geneva and Hague Conventions, says that Medical Personnel, Vehicles, and Locations marked with the Red Cross, the Red Crescent, or other recognized markings for Medical Care givers, supplies, etc. Were/are to be considered "NON-COMBATANTS" and as such were supposed to be safe from attack. They (the vehicles and personnel) were/are not allowed to be used for the transport, storage or use of Combat supplies, or weapons. It would not matter in an ambulance whether both personnel were trained/certified Medics or not. While in the presence of the Red Cross, the rules were supposed to apply. Please notice that I said all of that with a lot of Codicils.

As far back as WWI/WWII there were medics who carried and used weapons. Because there have been numerous instances where the other side did not honor the Red Cross. So while the U.S. Military does not officially condone personnel on Ambulances carrying weapons, and would not put weapons mounts in the vehicles. There is nothing to say that personnel assigned to a vehicle in a combat setting would add modifications including a rack to hold a weapon.

tbearatkin

Thanks I seem to remember ours had them and they were mounted in the center section not behind the seat like in the M-1008. I just do not remember if they were the same mounts or something different. All our medics carried 45's/9mm pistols.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks