• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

our ranks are gone?

MVtrucker

Interesting discussion about stripes and advancement. I got a kick out of seeing my rank advance, but to be honest, when I joined and started posting I didn't know that rank advancement was based on anything at all. Had no idea and didn't care. I'm in the same catagery as most posters, here to learn and share.
Sometimes a newcomer might want to post and at the same time they might not feel confident that their info is 100% correct, so then maybe they don't post. I know I really think about my posts before I hit submit, even then I might be somewhat wrong and am always ready to accept corrections. Maybe too, they revert to the List and its many off topic discussions...
I'm not taking any of the above posts personal, I'm just adding my thoughts.
Edited: Read previous posts instesd of above. I see I'm on page 2 and there's only one post above mine.

85-m1028

Gees I wonder how many moved up a rank just from this thread alone!! :eyes: :lol: I do have to say I think the ranking system is cool and am enjoying my new seargent status, It makes one feel slightly more dignified (did I spell that right??) [^] and does encourage more posting, like this one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Desert Rat

Sarge,
You did good. Your spelling has improved too. Keep it up and we might even promote you after a few more posts.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As in the military, or ANY structured organization for that matter, it's not hard to end up with a lot of "Generals." Maybe we should do something like, "rank with time," and perhaps, "ribbons with experience." Kind of like the military, I guess. It might be incentive to do more. Can we come up with a ribbon scheme as opposed to just promotions with posts?
Is there any requirement for a commission as opposed to staying enlisted?

dc3coyote

There are a few missing posts, maybe they are not loading on my page. Chris your was a blank so I was just wondering what I missed,
Oh and I had not noticed that the reanks had dissapered.
I do howerer kinda like it, except for the whole post whoring, maybe we could use it based on useful posts, and punish the dumb, same questions asked over and over ones. Bust them down to KP duty at the next rally.

mangus580

FYI... this thread dates back to 2005!!

I think what you 2 have added to this really points toward the 'reputation' of a member.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't the reputation, based on others input? If other give no input, then it is useless?

Computers and programs can not decide on a persons character.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It concerns me that several people with no understanding of a subject can effect your "reputation" and one with a total understanding and appreciation of it ,but may not take the time to add input to your "reputation" will decide what others may think of you(if they do not really know you personally). And isn't that the reason for the computerized reputation? It will never work unless it is mandatory to leave info and all the idiots are banned from the site. Then where will I hang out?:p

mangus580

There is a pile of criteria about how much one person can effect another person's reputation.

It is based on length of time on the site, number of posts, current reputation...

So a n00b... cant effect your reputation.

K45

FYI... this thread dates back to 2005!!

I think what you 2 have added to this really points toward the 'reputation' of a member.

I think that funny and easy to do to post on something that is completely outdated. I agree with Gohot. I look at the avatar that I recognize, rank, and rep to detemine if their response has much merrit.

Also I might have missed it, but the lower right corner in each window where it says "quote" "M/R" "QR" and "Thanks" the thanks is for rep correct?

pc3nmcb

Basing a persons knowledge by rank, you half to consider how many one liners they put out, or the faces eating popcorn. I have said it in the past you can look at any thread that has a couple or more pages and you will see some of the same people posting several times with material that doesn't answer the question.

Basing by reputation means that someone took the time to rate the information received from their thread, be it good or bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks