• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OUT AND ABOUT WITH MY HMMWV

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the weather guessers are saying rain tomorrow for our area so I decided to do Memorial Day today down on the beach.
NOW things are looking better, much better than the last few years, I mean it was packed.
Here is the view from a Hotel camera about 8 miles south of Port Aransas, it shows the nice curvature of the coast in this area, we are looking north towards Port A.
beach.JPG
It was a soft day, the kind I like to most but maybe not the best bikini weather.
A2.jpg
I always forget to take pictures when I am pulling people out, this was my third for the day, I have a billy bad butt (not the brand) kinetic rope but have not found anyone stuck bad enough to use it, just a little tug with the lifting sling got this guy out.
A3.jpg
This is the south Jetty on the Port A ship channel, when I was a kid I fished off of this allot, it was a big challenge to pick your way along all the huge bolders they used to build it with, now it has a paved walkway, what a bunch of pansies.
A6.jpg
A few other pics
A7.jpg
A5.jpg
IMG_20230528_115402843.jpg
Oh yes I did see a bunch of young guys in a 4 man A2 that was bought out of Red River, again forgot to take a pic:sleep:

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spent 4 hours cruising the back-roads of three different counties today, did not get any pictures, I was trying my phone as a "movie" camera, not very stable but my knock off Go Pros have no sound in their protective case, will have to invest in something better, these are some "snaps" from the video.
R-4059730-1353877910-4355.jpg
Purple Sage 1.JPG
Some of these roads are literally packed with Purple Sage (the lighter green actually is a grey green), that stuff does not bloom often or for very long but if I can I will get some pictures when it does, next to a field full of Blue Bonnets, it is one of the most beautiful sights in this area.
RUT ROW.jpg
RUT ROW!!, he was in a hurry to go somewhere so he had no interest in me!
Amish.jpg
Yes, we have an Amish community in Bee county, not sure where this guy had been but he was about 8 miles coming from nowhere heading home, not sure what business they have in this direction but you can see multiple "buggy tracks" going in both directions.
The community is about 15 miles from Beeville and I see them all the time around town, the Beeville HEB (best food stores but only in Texas) and Walmart have a hitching post under a tree in the parking lot.
These are "old order" Amish, no electricity except for a generator running a community refrigeration setup, one land line mounted to the outside of a building in a metal box, no chit chat, business and emergencies only.
No cars, they even do not even use buttons or zippers on their clothing. What surprised me is if you hang around them enough you find out they cut up and have a pretty good sense of humor, but dead serious with strangers, they offer up nothing but what you ask them.
Friday is "baked goods day". best dang cinnamon rolls you will ever let melt in your mouth, they do all my upholstery work.

IMG_20230531_190446263.jpg
About 3 hours on the pit and cooking up some sweet BBQ beans after a day out, life is good in Papalote!!

A few other "snaps" from the camera

A little contoure.jpg
Mexican Sun Flowers.JPG
No Fishing.jpg
Zoom Zoom.jpg
Big Sky.JPG
14.JPG
16.JPG
Edit, my wife Pam thinks it is hilarious what Texas calls a river, she is from PA and most Texas rivers there would be called creek.
Hey we are excited any time we have live water, period...
Every lake in Texas is man made, well there is one lake that is considered "natural" but it was created by Beavers...

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to drive over to the "other" base to fill the tank in the M1165 and stopped at the compound where they up-armor the HMMWs. There were two very nice M1151s in there with full turrets and all the armor. No pictures of that area as I would want to ask permission first and nobody came out to say hey.

As I was driving off the base some armored personnel vehicles caught my eye so I looped around to take a look. Wow, it's the motherload!

Lots of turrets, turbos, other great parts on the hoof. These are all going to DRMO eventually.

I didn't take many pictures as this particular base is sketch on that subject.

My M1165 blocking the view of all the turreted HMMWVs:

BangorVs01.jpg

These two were off the side. Unlucky 13....

BangorVs05.jpg

This marking caught my eye:

BangorVs02.jpg

No idea what these did. Three on each side of the hood and a few more along the nose:

BangorVs04.jpg

IR light. I just picked one up *similar* that mounts to the driving light. It came with a toggle switch box I was going to repurpose - didn't even want the light at all. Now that I know what it is and where it goes, I'll mount the it even though I won't connect the wiring to anything.

BangorVs03.jpg

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4th intern. military-ricks meeting at Sisslen (Switzerland)

It is customary at such meetings to take the visitors who wish to do so on the ride.
And one of the girls who jumped on with me then built a nice video from it.
YouTube Video
IMG_1110.jpeg
IMG_1108.jpeg
a east german "stabs fähnrich" from the east german boarder guards
IMG_1119.jpeg
IMG_1124.jpeg
Try to give the audience some historical background.
IMG_1127.jpeg
IMG_1129.jpeg
Field backery ... in use and feed the whole crew of, i think, 200 teams.
IMG_1133.jpegIMG_1138.jpegIMG_1139.jpegIMG_1141.jpeg
IMG_1144.jpeg
historic uniform of the swiss army from about the 1960th
IMG_1146.jpegIMG_1147.jpegIMG_1149.jpegIMG_1153.jpegIMG_1155.jpegIMG_1157.jpeg
IMG_1158.jpeg
IMG_1160.jpegIMG_1164.jpegIMG_1163.jpegIMG_1167.jpeg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to drive over to the "other" base to fill the tank in the M1165 and stopped at the compound where they up-armor the HMMWs. There were two very nice M1151s in there with full turrets and all the armor. No pictures of that area as I would want to ask permission first and nobody came out to say hey.

As I was driving off the base some armored personnel vehicles caught my eye so I looped around to take a look. Wow, it's the motherload!

Lots of turrets, turbos, other great parts on the hoof. These are all going to DRMO eventually.

View attachment 898698

View attachment 898699

View attachment 898700

No idea what these did. Three on each side of the hood and a few more along the nose:

View attachment 898701

IR light. I just picked one up *similar* that mounts to the driving light. It came with a toggle switch box I was going to repurpose - didn't even want the light at all. Now that I know what it is and where it goes, I'll mount the it even though I won't connect the wiring to anything.

View attachment 898702
M1114’s

Westo

View attachment 898698

View attachment 898699

View attachment 898700

View attachment 898701

View attachment 898702
putting armor on? what's that about?

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4th intern. military-ricks meeting at Sisslen (Switzerland)

It is customary at such meetings to take the visitors who wish to do so on the ride.
And one of the girls who jumped on with me then built a nice video from it.
YouTube Video
View attachment 898829
View attachment 898830
a east german "stabs fähnrich" from the east german boarder guards
View attachment 898831
View attachment 898832
Try to give the audience some historical background.
View attachment 898833
View attachment 898834
Field backery ... in use and feed the whole crew of, i think, 200 teams.
View attachment 898835View attachment 898836View attachment 898837View attachment 898838
View attachment 898839
historic uniform of the swiss army from about the 1960th
View attachment 898840View attachment 898841View attachment 898842View attachment 898843View attachment 898844View attachment 898845
View attachment 898846
View attachment 898847View attachment 898848View attachment 898849View attachment 898850
What kind of motorcicles are those? One of them looks like BMW or Ural and i see another one that looks like a Zundap. I might be wrong.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are mostly 3 different. The Harley you know from the US, the German boxer Style you know from the movies (But these are only the most famous German motorcycles of the Second World War. There were more back then.) and the swiss bikes.
The swiss bikes are "Universal" and "Condor".
The Condor Bikes was still in use until 1990th. At this time the swiss army switched over to BMW F650.
The Universal Bike must be older and i think the went out of service mutch earleyer.

I just made you a quick pdf out of the swiss army vehicley compendium i get for my birthday yesterday :D Realey handy, did'nt it?

But if you have questions about a specific bike from the photos above, please quote the photo so i know exactly what you mean.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made a run out to Port A this morning, not too much going on out there, I was pleasantly surprised to see Diesel at under $3, it was actually cheaper than gas which I have not seen in several decades.
IMG_20230611_091750353_HDR.jpg
There was one thing, a Jeep cut me off going into the access road from the beach, of course nobody wants to get stuck behind a lumbering Humvee.
So I got to "study" it as we made our way to the highway, the usual, big fat tires, custom bumpers and other chingalies, the back window was full of decals, Speedway, Jeggs and interesting enough a ProCharger decal.
We got to the highway and there was nobody in sight in ether direction, that ProCharger is pretty loud but it was just plain embarrassing, the last thing I saw in my mirror was the drivers hands in the air like "what the heck was that??" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh I forgot, on the way up hwy 181, I passed a dodge/Cummins on the side of the road with a set of jumper cables hanging on the rear view mirror.
So I stopped and helped the couple out, the jumper cables were the cheapest set of cables I have ever seen, I would be surprised if they were 4ga, one end looked OK, the other only had one clamp and that one looked like it had lost about half the strands.
So we got set up and the man held the end of the cable that had no clamp on his battery terminal, we waited a few minutes and I will be damned the dang thing started.
I may need to put a set of cables in the DuraVee, the Detroit is fully loaded with tools etc, no so the little DuraVee

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks