• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ouverson engineering 4.90 gear set

GoinNutts

Has anyone used the Ouverson engineering 4.90 gear set and locker set up? Living in the concrete jungle I have to hit the freeway to get anywhere and would like to not have to wind out my truck. I have a A2 as pictured but am going to go to 1450's.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i am curious why you would consider spending twice as much on this as the od kit costs? plus all the extra work and the truck will be severly limited in off road capabilities.

tom

GoinNutts

I am no expert on these trucks and that is why I asked. What is the OD Kit you speak of. I am looking for any practical experience on this subject. Please shed light!

Thanks

rjones

Has anyone actually installed either the 4.90 gear set from Ouverson Engineering or the 5.41 from Gearhart Engineering on an M35A3?

Yes I have searched the threads.

Results for each with my set up:
http://store.oemaxle.com/product_info.php?cPath=14&products_id=55
37% increase - 6.72./4.90 or 0.729 the other way.
52 MPH = 2800 RPM - new RPM 2042
2800 RPM new MPH = 71
2552 RPM new MPH = 65
$1200 each
Seems on the verge of too much reduction.

http://www.gearharteng.com/assets/images/10.jpg
Gearhart Engineering has 5.41
24% increase - 6.72./5.41 or 0.805 the other way.
52 MPH = 2800 RPM - new RPM 2254
2800 RPM new MPH = 64
$2200 each
Seems on the verge of not quite enough and nearly twice the cost.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Has anyone actually installed either the 4.90 gear set from Ouverson Engineering or the 5.41 from Gearhart Engineering on an M35A3?

Yes I have searched the threads.

Results for each with my set up:
http://store.oemaxle.com/product_info.php?cPath=14&products_id=55
37% increase - 6.72./4.90 or 0.729 the other way.
52 MPH = 2800 RPM - new RPM 2042
2800 RPM new MPH = 71
2552 RPM new MPH = 65
$1200 each
Seems on the verge of too much reduction.

http://www.gearharteng.com/assets/images/10.jpg
Gearhart Engineering has 5.41
24% increase - 6.72./5.41 or 0.805 the other way.
52 MPH = 2800 RPM - new RPM 2254
2800 RPM new MPH = 64
$2200 each
Seems on the verge of not quite enough and nearly twice the cost.
HAVE you thought about STOPPING, or just going FASTER, these trucks are fine as DESIGNED, wait till ypu blow a steer tire at speed, then talk about SPEED, and wait till you loose a wheel cylinder or line, then talk about STOPPING, If these trucks were designed FOR speed, thay would go that speed
THINK this don't happen, THINK AGAIN, If you want to go fast, get a CIVI truck, that is made for INTERSTATE speed.

Also this REGEARING is not designed for a HEAVY TRUCK with big tires

Last edited:

mktopside

Banned
HAVE you thought about STOPPING, or just going FASTER, these trucks are fine as DESIGNED, wait till ypu blow a steer tire at speed, then talk about SPEED, and wait till you loose a wheel cylinder or line, then talk about STOPPING, If these trucks were designed FOR speed, thay would go that speed
THINK this don't happen, THINK AGAIN, If you want to go fast, get a CIVI truck, that is made for INTERSTATE speed.

Also this REGEARING is not designed for a HEAVY TRUCK with big tires
Have YOU ever thought that some of us just don't want to be at redline at 50mph? You have to spin an A3 to 2800 just to crack 50mph, it's bad for the engine and is an unesseary waste of gas. It's a valid question that doesnt deserve to be stomped on, I for one would like to know the answer.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
QUOTE]

Have YOU ever thought that some of us just don't want to be at redline at 50mph? You have to spin an A3 to 2800 just to crack 50mph, it's bad for the engine and is an unesseary waste of gas. It's a valid question that doesnt deserve to be stomped on, I for one would like to know the answer.
I guess the truck is not designed to go a sustained speed of 50 mph let alone INTERSTATE speed, do 45, easier on the motor

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
first, the cost of 3 gear sets plus installing them is crazy. who would do that??
second rjones ratios are for an A3. a 4.90 r&p set would improve an A3, but performance in all gears would suffer.

here is the info for an A2:

stock od and stock rears give final ratio of 5.240
my .69 od kit with stock rears gives final ratio of 4.64
ouverson r&p with stock trans gives final ratio of 3.822
gearhart r&p with stock trans gives final ratio of 4.22

the engine simply does not have the power needed for either of these r&p sets!!
it just will not work. on top of that my od kit is about the same cost as only ONE of the r&p sets you would need!! additionaly, with a r&p change, as with big tires, you change ALL ratios so much more stress on clutch and brakes! i.e. 1st, 2nd, etc will all be higher overall ratios.

now ron is PARTLY right. someone with a m-35 etc who wants to go a LOT faster is foolish.
however if you just want to go 65 mph at 2400 rpm and you are willing to have GOOD brakes and GOOD tires, it could be perfectly safe. i have driven at between 65 and 70 mph for about 20,000 miles in my last 2 trucks and with the small changes i make, they will stop and handle as well as most older 1/2 ton pickups. it is incumbent upon the owners to be sure they have a safe truck. if you have an accident in an unsafe truck, you can be sure that the injured party will OWN you, AND YOU WILL CAUSE A SERIOUS PROBLEM FOR OTHER MV OWNERS.
ron is also right about these r&p sets NOT being made for m-35's, they are for the hill climbers and others who just use 'our' axles.

tom

Last edited:

rjones

Yes, but only need two.

Are those the facts for and A3?

Will your overdrive kit work in an Allison?

I appreciate the replys however - Please answer the question. I never said anything about going faster only did the math. As far as design and what might have been intended when origionally designed does not fit in the modification forum, which is where this is posted. That is the point make it be what you want it to be. Safety is a responibilty of everyone.

I do not need options or oppinions. If you can't answer the question then fine, don't reply. These off topic comments are exactly why I do not ask many questions on this site. You high ranked people who make comments prevent new people from getting involved.

Thank you,

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
US HIGH RANKED (older) MEMBERS WORRY ABOUT THIS HOBBY, someone going at designed speed that has a mishap with someone getting hurt will not help the HOBBY, someone that has a mishap in a moded truck, doing what it is NOT designed for and getting people hurt/killed will be VERY bad for all of us, some states already give us trouble getting our truck registered, something happens, we could be looking at off road use ONLY, or worse end up like the 151 or HMMWV, demil (scrap) ONLY from GL.

We don't prevent new members from getting involved, we try to remind them that these trucks are late 40s/early 50s design, thay do GREAT using as designed, even the A3s are based on the old REO design, just updated a bit, AGAIN if people don't like the design limitations, buy a CIVI rig that is DESIGNED for what thay want

This is sorta like buying a 1/2 ton pickup because it looked and sounded good, then BITCH and MOAN because you can't put 8000 lbs of crap in the bed

Last edited:

AMX

Funny how the AMC guys cheered when my AMX went 173MPH, but the MV crowd seems to think any performance increase is a bad thing. Reminds me of some of the F450's we caught on I40 pulling over 90K LB'S.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
rjones, i see now that you say A3. many if not most of us still assume A2 so you really have to be clear (as you tried to be). since A3's are direct drive automatics the 4.90 may be a usable choice since that would be the final ratio. it is only a little lower than the final ratio i have now of 4.64. or if you were willing to have a manual, change back to a 3053 spicer with .69 od. the cat engine has more power and more rpm than the multifuel, so it would be an interesting change.

tom

mktopside

Banned
Funny how the AMC guys cheered when my AMX went 173MPH, but the MV crowd seems to think any performance increase is a bad thing. Reminds me of some of the F450's we caught on I40 pulling over 90K LB'S.
LOL that deserves a "Git 'er Done!!" if anything does.

I understand the need to protect the hobby from the 'tards; but some of us just want to get better mpg and not thrash our trucks as hard.

pand9

I am new to this "hobby" and like a moth drawn to flame I am on a quest to build my own bobbed deuce. I have been reading all that I can to get a bit of education for what I will do and not do with my own build.

I do not want to build a race truck. But I also do not want to be driving miss daisey on the highway when trying to get from here to there. The thought of driving at 50mph or less on a roadway with a posted speed of 65mph makes me think of myself as "the hazard". I like the idea of changing the transmision gearing to achieve a safer highway speed without changing the overall driveline ratios. And how is this safer? In the area where I live when you are the slow mover everyone is trying to get around you and as soon as they do they zip rite back in the lane a half a car length ahead of you. Good brakes or no brakes really doesnt matter at that point. And thats driving 60K lbs. down to the Tercel If the fools only new. I digress. The goal is to maintain a "safe" rate of speed when on the highway without wearing out the rest of the driveline. Driving off road where the low end torque of the diesel engine lives and breaths and most of all driving around at a lower rate of speed so I can grin from ear to ear when peoples heads turn and gawk at my new toy.:grin:"priceless". So what do I see as the benfit? no over reved engine, not changing out R+P sets, mainting good brakes and proper tire inflation and a transmission upgrade. looks like I am sold on this one.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I really doubt that this was done ON THE ROAD, and the 450 with 90k, sure it can do it, not designed to, if something happened, the driver most likely would loose everything and a good chance see jail

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks