• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ouverson engineering 4.90 gear set

Flat Black

It is not anyone's responsibility nor is it their duty to regulate or preserve "the hobby" or "military vehicles".

If someone wants to swap ring gears to 4.88s and go 75 mph down the freeway, that is their prerogative. If they have crappy brakes or tires or the engine uses a lot of fuel or blows up, that is not your concern.

The "we must police you and keep all the children safe" attitude needs to go.

The OP questioned if anyone had used Randy's gears and if they were good, how was the performance, etc. and within a page the thread turns into a soap opera.

If you cant say something complimentary to the topic at hand or answer the man's question dont post.

Running 45 mph sucks, especially with an ancient, loud a$$ motor bouncing off the rev limiter. This is bad for an engine in case you dont know. So turn the motor up a bit to keep this from happening, regear, change tires, etc.

45 may be fine for around town and back roads and such, but not for travel to rallies or shows. These trucks were made to go 45-50 mph because the national speed limit was only 55 and they were driven by snot nosed kids who did not know how to drive or take care of anything.

There is not a reason in the world that a deuce cant be made to safely travel at modern highway speeds of 65-75 mph and stop and handle like a more modern car. Yes this will take modification for things like brakes and tires and gears, hence the original post asking about different gear ratios.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Welder Sam

it is not anyone's responsibility nor is it their duty to regulate or preserve "the hobby" or "military vehicles".

If someone wants to swap ring gears to 4.88s and go 75 mph down the freeway, that is their prerogative. If they have crappy brakes or tires or the engine uses a lot of fuel or blows up, that is not your concern.

The op questioned if anyone had used randy's gears and if they were good, how was the performance, etc. And within a page the thread turns into a soap opera.

If you cant say something complimentary to the topic at hand or answer the man's question dont post.

Running 45 mph sucks, especially with an ancient, loud a$$ motor bouncing off the rev limiter. This is bad for an engine in case you dont know. So turn the motor up a bit to keep this from happening, regear, change tires, etc.

45 may be fine for around town and back roads and such, but not for travel to rallies or shows. These trucks were made to go 45-50 mph because the national speed limit was only 55 and they were driven by snot nosed kids who did not know how to drive or take care of anything.

There is not a reason in the world that a deuce cant be made to safely travel at modern highway speeds of 65-75 mph and stop and handle like a more modern car. Yes this will take modification for things like brakes and tires and gears, hence the original post asking about different gear ratios.

amen!!! If u pay for it, u do what u want. If i own it, dont assume u have the right or responsibility to dictate to me what the h*ll i can or cannot do. This behavior on this site makes me sick.

KsM715

Then go somewhere else if you dont like this place.

The instant you put something on a public road, with other people using that road, you no longer have the right to "do what you want".

Welder Sam

So long as i own it, its my reponsibility and my choice and the same is true for ur possessions. The law is the governing body not joe blow with computer courage looking at a screen with his chest all puffed out. Be da**ed if the ones that act like that on here would pull that mess to a mans face. Its all of our right to own these but its none of our right to dictate to another what can or cannot be done. Thats what the law is for.

olewhiskey

:ditto::grd:
It is not anyone's responsibility nor is it their duty to regulate or preserve "the hobby" or "military vehicles".

The OP questioned if anyone had used Randy's gears and if they were good, how was the performance, etc. and within a page the thread turns into a soap opera.

R Racing

Funny how the AMC guys cheered when my AMX went 173MPH, but the MV crowd seems to think any performance increase is a bad thing. Reminds me of some of the F450's we caught on I40 pulling over 90K LB'S.
When did that happen the f450s ?? I didn't catch that 1 !

KsM715

So long as i own it, its my reponsibility and my choice and the same is true for ur possessions. The law is the governing body not joe blow with computer courage looking at a screen with his chest all puffed out. Be da**ed if the ones that act like that on here would pull that mess to a mans face. Its all of our right to own these but its none of our right to dictate to another what can or cannot be done. Thats what the law is for.

I have yet to see anyone "dictate" what one can and can not do with these trucks. I have seen people offer opinions and advice, just like you are doing here. Advice and opinions differ from person to person.

Lately when some one post a "what do you think" thread it seems that all they are looking for is a "sure it will work" or " boy that sure looks good" answer and they really don't take the criticizim very well when someone points out something that wrong or unsafe.

I dont know about you but I would rather have a bunch of like minded peers steering me away from a dangerous situation rather than trying to justify my actions on the side of the road with a DOT officer or in front of a judge explaining why my negligence killed a some kid on his way to school.

If I see something unsafe I will stand up and speak out, whether it behind this computer screen you think I'm hiding behind or out on the road itself.

Welder Sam

But we're not "like-minded". There are those of us that say leave it like it is because theres no safe way to make it do something that wasnt even concievable when the truck was first designed, most of those types of responses are as i described. There are also those of us that believe that they can and will be modified/used in a safe manner that my grandfather couldnt have imagine. If you disagree with my point of view, or anyone elses for that matter, disagree in a manner in which what you're trying to express will be heard. If all u can say is YOU CANT DO THAT BECAUSE IT WASNT DESIGNED TO GO THAT FAST, STOP THAT FAST, HAVE TIRES THAT BIG, your message will never get across. If ya dont wanna change it, fine. Thats what the stock deuce forum is for but to enter into a conversation in the modified forum and say NONONONO U CANT DO THAT, well, its rude and uncalled for.

Thank you for your time. :beer:

I would think the easiest thing to do would be to ask the manufacturer of the R&P to see what GVWR they are rated for. Then make the decision if you are willing to sacrifice what you can haul for a little more speed. There was another thread on here that someone was using the 4.90 in a bobbed deuce. I believe it was the OD gear set thread. You might want to try and look him up to see what he has to say on the matter.

Now as far as everyone saying you can't do it because it wasn't designed for it you have to realize that this is part of the hobby. You can't tell me that you haven't taken your SUV, CIVI truck, import or muscle car and done something to it to make it much faster than it was stock. By saying it shouldn't be done to this truck you're saying it shouldn't be done to anything we own. Which would mean that everything is as good as it gets from the OEM. This is just a stupid statement. We all know when an OEM makes a vehicle they have to work within certain design parameters and laws of the year manufactured. So just because a Deuce was built in the 40-70's doesn't mean it can't be modified to go faster, it just means you have a lot more work to do to make it safe for those speeds. Instead of telling the guy he can't do it or listing why it shouldn't be done maybe you should try to point out all the additional work that needs to be done to do it safely. That more than anything will deter people from trying. It's on thing to drop 1200-2400 to make it faster it's entirely different to drop 5000-10000 to make it handle and stop safely.

DAG out

It is in all the threads I've looked through. If there wasn't so much good information here I don't think I would be a member. There just seems to be a handful of people that can't resist telling everyone else what they can and can't do. It's a shame really.

KsM715

Hmmmm wonder where all that good information comes from? Couldn't be from guys that have been in the hobby for years, decades for some, that have seen what works and what doesn't could it?

jblack6527

So the question remains. Has anyone installed 4.90 gears in their deuce?
I've never seen anybody say they have. There are some good points buried in this, and the other threads on this subject. Mainly, being that the 4.90 gear sets are extremely expensive when figuring for three axles (or even two), and the fact that the Multi is simply underpowered. For example, take an older 1 ton truck with a small block chevy. With a stock engine, you're looking at 250 hp and maybe 300 lb-ft. Not an apples to apples comparison, but close. Now, put a 10 inch lift kit, some 4.88 gears and 40 inch tires on it, and hook it to a 8,000 pound trailer. See how much fun it is to drive. The same principle applies to the Deuce.

If you really had the money for the axle gears, in my opinion the smartest way to go would be to buy the overdrive kit from M-35tom, and put some 11.00-20 radials on your truck. You would get the speed increase/rpm reduction, plus the safety of radial tires.

trukhead

So the question remains. Has anyone installed 4.90 gears in their deuce?
I thought about it but decided against it because 90% of my driving time is in low range and I like to have the transmission going through up to 3 rd gear and lockup of the torque converter. I think and have heard that that is easier on the transmission than using high range and 1rst or second gear.

fat lady sings

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks