• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

P400 motor vs 6500 Optimizer in M1009

85CUCVtom

So I've been thinking about doing a motor swap in the next couple years. I'm just kicking ideas around now and I really like the idea of these two motors. I can't seem to find a good comparison between the two. I guess the P400 is the better of the two. Another question I have is how would the oil pan work with the front axle in a CUCV? Do they share engine mounts with the 6.2L/6.5L or would i have to fab and weld in new mounts?

Throw out some opinions and let me know what you think. Has anybody done a swap with either of these two motors?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a little research in the CUCV forum from member Stonepicker1. He has done the swap and covered it on here if I recall correctly.

85CUCVtom

Do a little research in the CUCV forum from member Stonepicker1. He has done the swap and covered it on here if I recall correctly.
I've seen his build thread before. He did a nice job on that motor. That was a 1999 I believe. I'm thinking of putting one in my 1984 M1009. I couldn't find much on putting a P400 in the older trucks.

rsh4364

I also kicked this idea around P400 250hp,and 550 ft lbs of torque would move a 1009 down the road nicely, check out leroy diesel.Moroso.offers a pan for 88 and up 4 wd.

85CUCVtom

I also kicked this idea around P400 250hp,and 550 ft lbs of torque would move a 1009 down the road nicely, check out leroy diesel.Moroso.offers a pan for 88 and up 4 wd.
I literally just say that about 10 minutes ago on Leroy Diesels website. Looks intriguing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks