• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PA - Spring 2016 Rausch Creek Steel Soldiers Rally

shenkmen

I'm going to try and make it. Dont forget the shirts!!
I need to hurry up on some PMs but with luck I'll be rolling up that way.
I hope y'all are cool with a modified Cucv. I know flatbeds and subwoofers are sometimes frowned upon.

What do we need for communication?
CBs are very helpful for communication. Anybody who has a CB please bring it.

Trails are rated and color coded into 5 categories. From easiest to hardest they are Green, Blue, Blue/Black, Black and Red. We stick to the greens and blues due to the size of the FMVs. Some folks have headed out on their own and run more difficult stuff. Feel free to do so. Basically, you'll only break something if you intentionally put your vehicle at risk for it. The trails we run have bypasses for most of more difficult stuff.

I'd like to see us broken down into smaller groups to facilitate more movement and less blockage. If anyone would like to lead a group please let me know that and what type of trails you're going to run.

Lukes_deuce

I will arriving Friday with my m813 and leaving Sunday. Should have a passenger too. I might be able to bring a 6000 watt generator with me if needed.

If anybody from NY/tri-state area is going to this and want to drive together, feel free to PM me.

Corvette1974

Let me see who I can get to go with me. It should be me and my NV4500 CUCV (still need to make the write up on the swap ;) ) Will bring wood and generator. I may have an M35 by then so we'll see....

I'll report back with the list of people attending with me.

Will

mikey

Here's a pic form the fall rally. The weather was great. The people in our group were great. Good times were had by all! If you're on the fence about going, do it, you won't regret it.

Mikey

12449706_10205523918246208_1022292164_o.jpg

frantik

It's official. My vacation request has been approved!

My brother and I should be there sometime Friday afternoon- God willing...

We're in for Sunday as well.

Both of us are excited about the journey. Roughly 700 miles one way from my doorstep in my M923a2. Magical.

Brian

cucvrus

Both of us are excited about the journey. Roughly 700 miles one way from my doorstep in my M923a2. Magical.

Brian
That is going to be quite the trip. Good Luck and drive carefully. Are you bringing a vehicle in the cargo bed? Or is that the only vehicle you are bringing?

frantik

That is going to be quite the trip. Good Luck and drive carefully. Are you bringing a vehicle in the cargo bed? Or is that the only vehicle you are bringing?
It's the only vehicle I am bringing.

I'm going through the vehicle right now taking care of odds and ends. Hopefully my prep work will pay off. I put over 3000 miles on the truck last year and didn't have any real issues.

I have driven it every other weekend this winter, trying to see if any problems arise. So far, so good.

cucvrus

And do they charge per vehicle or per person for the park? what are the rates? And I assume we can bring sxs's for back up rides?
As of now they do charge per vehicle and this part of the park does NOT allow anything but fullsize vehicles. 4 wheelers, side by sides and motorcycles have a different park they must ride in. Not very safe with mixing the different vehicles.
I just went on line and checked and I also called. The side by sides have a different park where that is for smaller off road vehicles and motorcycles. NO side by sides in the truck/jeep motor park. Thought I would save you the trouble. We had a 50cc pit bike just to putter around on at the truck park and had to put it away. 15MPH speed limit at the park and no free for all. It makes for a more enjoyable ride. Not some of the 4 wheeling drunken free for alls I have been to in the past.

Last edited:

mikey

Brian
I'm not sure if you're bringing a tent or plan on sleeping in your truck. But just a helpful time, if you and your brother plan to sleep in the back of your truck, you WILL want to remove your cargo cover before wheeling or it will get damaged. Of course you'll have plenty of people to help with the cargo cover each morning and each evening. That being said, if you do plan on sleeping in the truck, make sure you plan for and bring what's required to secure your belongings when we are wheeling. Either in the cargo bed of your truck or back at camp. Stuff WILL bounce around A LOT while wheeling.

580607_3004477919847_706260781_n.jpg

Mikey

frantik

I'm not sure if you're bringing a tent or plan on sleeping in your truck. But just a helpful time, if you and your brother plan to sleep in the back of your truck, you WILL want to remove your cargo cover before wheeling or it will get damaged. Of course you'll have plenty of people to help with the cargo cover each morning and each evening. That being said, if you do plan on sleeping in the truck, make sure you plan for and bring what's required to secure your belongings when we are wheeling. Either in the cargo bed of your truck or back at camp. Stuff WILL bounce around A LOT while wheeling.

Mikey

Thanks for the tips! Yes, we will be sleeping in the cargo area of the truck- in a tent. I don't have a cargo cover, so everyone can rest easy that they won't have to help me with the cover...

I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you! I've watched some of the videos of past rallies and they've been getting me all amped up!

Can't wait!!!

Lukes_deuce

View attachment 609284

Mikey
Mikey,

You have some great pics! It definitely gets the excitement going when you see some awesome off roading pics. I guess I should change the oil and install the new oil filter kit one of these days.

mikey

Mikey,

You have some great pics! It definitely gets the excitement going when you see some awesome off roading pics. I guess I should change the oil and install the new oil filter kit one of these days.
Thanks! I took that picture but it's another members deuce. But rest assured pictures, even the ones posted in previous RC threads, don't do justice for some of the inclines and white knuckle driving you'll see and do.

Every video I've seen going up or coming down into Lake Christy seems easy, but when you're in a deuce or 5ton going up or down, it's awesome.

Get your truck ready and join us. Tomorrow should be a great day to do some wrenching! We have members that come from the NYC area.

Mikey

mikey

I spent a few hours tonight getting my mud flap mounts ready for paint. I seem to back over them at least twice a year. And as you can see, with a total of about 45 minutes welding experience in my entire life, you can tell I'm a grinder, not a welder.

I hope others are getting their trucks ready too!!!!

Mikey

12765606_10205853793652887_1348882725_o.jpg12773116_10205853793612886_633154618_o.jpg12776764_10205853791932844_1398651006_o.jpg12765564_10205853792372855_84229646_o.jpg12765676_10205853791892843_945757223_o.jpg12755332_10205853791852842_66589193_o.jpg12787384_10205853791812841_130043869_o.jpg

Last edited:

Jakelc15

That 30" snow got one of my mud flaps too. Just repaired it a couple days ago. Mine only has 3 bolts through the rubber, doesn't seem to bend the bracket as bad when I tear one off.

cucvrus

Speaking of mudflaps. Does anyone want me to bring some freebie rubber HD mudflaps up the Rausch Creek? I have lots of them and want to give them away. They are the nice HD rubber flaps big truck flaps. We use them for everything from gardening to burning. But they are like new used once and very handy to have. These are not the cheapies and they are free. Let me know I will bring what you want along. Freebies. NO Burning them at Rausch Creek . Please.

mikey

Speaking of mudflaps. Does anyone want me to bring some freebie rubber HD mudflaps up the Rausch Creek? I have lots of them and want to give them away. They are the nice HD rubber flaps big truck flaps. We use them for everything from gardening to burning. But they are like new used once and very handy to have. These are not the cheapies and they are free. Let me know I will bring what you want along. Freebies. NO Burning them at Rausch Creek . Please.
If these are about the same size 24"x36" I'll take 4 or even 6 if you don't mind. I replace these more often than filters. Anytime you go in reverse in a 931, you better have remembered to remove your mud flaps. Apparently I need a giant yellow warning on my dash because I never remember.

Mikey

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks