• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting m998

Glider

I'm in the process of painting my M998 camo with Rapco paint. I initially ordered 6 green, 3 black, 3 brown. So far used 5 green all black and less than half can of brown. I have basically put 3 coats on so far. I reordered 6 green, 4 black 2 brown. I also have touch-up and camo color aligning to match factory as close as I can. When finished with paint I'll put on new reflectors and lenses that should deliver this week.

Has anyone painted the wheels other than black? I have seen one pic of green wheels and none of the wheels painted brown. If anyone has any pictures I'd love to see them.

Pictures were taken while raining.

Attachments

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Going through the exact same thing now, was painting mine with rattle can rapco and hated the overspray splotch, so I bought a HVLP gun and behr outdoor house paint and went to town. Taped off a bunch, and love this paint so much more. Although I’ll say your rapco job looks very nice! I just couldn’t get the results I wanted and after blundering $100+ in cans and realizing I’d need an entire extra order I decided to go this route. Still in progress since our monsoon season is upon us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been wanting to paint my 5 ton and was curious what process to make it green on the inside, looks like tape off the glass and gauges and spray, i like it.

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes sir, prep prep prep, clean as good as you can, try to kill any rust, then tape everything up tight and let it rip

For the behr paint, is there an equivalent color to Rapco 383? I am wanting to paint the whole 5 ton just one color

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the behr paint, is there an equivalent color to Rapco 383? I am wanting to paint the whole 5 ton just one color
go into home depot and have them color match to FS 34094 for green. That's the original CARC color code.
the "383" is actually a series of paint colors from what I can tell.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
It can be flat, semi, or whatever you choose. I will say you can cut latex with water and make it even flatter

Awol

Looks great!

I've only seen the rims painted black, green or tan, but never brown. It might look good.

papakb

If you look at the federal color code charts you'll see that a "1" prefix means a gloss finish, "2" means semi-gloss, and "3" means flat. So 34094 would be a flat finish paint.

It would be nice if someone would put together a chart referencing Federal color codes to those of Behr, Sherwin-Williams, and other commercial paint manufacturers.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going through the exact same thing now, was painting mine with rattle can rapco and hated the overspray splotch, so I bought a HVLP gun and behr outdoor house paint and went to town. Taped off a bunch, and love this paint so much more. Although I’ll say your rapco job looks very nice! I just couldn’t get the results I wanted and after blundering $100+ in cans and realizing I’d need an entire extra order I decided to go this route. Still in progress since our monsoon season is upon us

Paint looks damn good! Do you happen to remember the paint color numbers/codes for the colors used??

Glider

Ok, I'm done. I'm thinking about this too much.

If someasked me any pointers I'd suggest taking the time to remove seatbelts, seats. You can do a much better job with little or less effort overall. That is of you are painting pillars etc. Heck for that matter you could almost spray the whole passenger and rear. Also I think mine would have turned out better of I had sprayed black first then brown and finish with green. The black over spray darkens everything. Green over spray is brighter and makes cleaner lines for some reason.

This was my first time spray painting a whole vehicle. It was a worthwhile project.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks