• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Para Cord Steering Wheel Wrap

MSgt USMC (Ret)

My steering wheel must have 24 years of crud embedded in it to the point no matter what I used to clean it the stuff keeps bleeding through. I enlisted the services of a local Eagle Scout and he wrapped my wheel like a ships wheel using 550 cord.
I was looking for a solution without buying a cheap Chinese civilian wheel wrap. I've used the McNett camo wrap tape but it wore down and became slick in short order.
This looks pretty cool and is functional. It provides a positive sure grip without the fear of fading or ever wearing out. It took him a little over an hour for those of you that possess the skills and patience for such a task.

DSC00885.jpg

DSC00887.jpg

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice! I'm gonna do that to the deuce steering wheel, in the summer time it gets real slippery with sweat and humidity. This looks just the trick....

jumpinford

Im gonna do that to my bronco. It looks like it will have no slippage problem, still looks comfortable, and in a pinch, theres a nice chunk of 550 you could unravel.

Rattlewagon

X2 for the video if he or you wouldn't mind! I would love to do that to my Jeep wheel!

that looks great! functional yet comfortable!! and a boatload of 550 if you ever found yourself in a pinch!!! :wink:

466Navastar

very creative - kudos to the Boy Scout for thinking outside the box

Ive found full strength SIMPLE GREEN and a scrub brush works pretty well for crud removal
----but I know how tenacious crud can be----- isnt it just amazing how that crud seems to take on a life of its own ?

K9Vic

very creative - kudos to the Boy Scout for thinking outside the box

Ive found full strength SIMPLE GREEN and a scrub brush works pretty well for crud removal
----but I know how tenacious crud can be----- isnt it just amazing how that crud seems to take on a life of its own ?
FYI: It was an Eagle Scout that did the wheel wrap, not a Boy Scout.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The process isn't difficult, you'd want to start it with a hitch, and then its just half-hitches run backwards. Each is pulled very snug and tapped tightly against the previous one. There is a website called Grog, that has interactive know tying where you can learn the basics. But if any of you know someone who was in the Navy or Coast Guard, ESPECIALLY serving as a "Boatswains Mate" they'll be able to show you in short order, even most who made it past the E-3 grade of "Seaman" should be able to do it. My wife who finally made "Warrant" before leaving the service learned it quickly and re-did the helm on a harbor tug we used to own. There are several books that also teach it "Ashley's Book of Knots" among others all available at most libraries as well. (some of you may have "better halves" that do "macrame", its called Marlinspike seamanship in the real world, but they could possibly help too.
An "Old Boatswains Mate"

Capt.Marion

You should get him to do up an "Instructable" on intructables.com for that. They have loads of things you can do with 550 cord, but that seems to be about the most useful I've seen.

466Navastar

Eagle Scout is the highest rank attainable in the Boy Scouting program of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). A Scout who attains this rank is called an Eagle Scout or Eagle. Since its introduction in 1911, the Eagle Scout rank has been earned by more than 2 million young men. The title of Eagle Scout is held for life, thus giving rise to the phrase "Once an Eagle, always an Eagle".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks