• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Para Cord Steering Wheel Wrap

Lar45

put a video of how to do that on youtube....

id wanna do that.......

very cool....:drool:
It's a half hitch. Do an overhand knot to start, then wrap the cord around the wheel and tuck it under the piece you just wrapped around.
Use the left hand to hold the line up as the right hand passes the cord around and then tuck it under your finger. Pull tight and repeat. Keep going in the same direction for a spiral knot, or do 10 away from you and then 10 towards you for a zig-zag knot pattern.
When you are getting close to finishing, take a 6-8" piece of cord, fold it in half and lay the loop across the wheel. Do 3 or 4 more wraps, then tuck the end of your line through the loop of your finishing piece. Give the cord a good hard pull and the end will slip under your last 3 wraps.
Clip and burn to finish.
You can clip the end of the cord about 1/4" long, melt good and hot with a lighter, then press a flat or round piece of something to it to make it flush and the end will be large enough to not slip back.

Clear as mud?

If your line is too short, you can add an extra piece by laying it on the steering wheel and do several wraps over it, then switch to the new line. The end of the old line can be layed under the new stuff for a few turns, then clip and burn.
I like to use the long BBQ lighters for this. Heat till it's good and soft, then press the round metal of the lighter onto it to make a nice finished look that won't pull through.

Last edited:

McCluskey

It's a half hitch. Do an overhand knot to start, then wrap the cord around the wheel and tuck it under the piece you just wrapped around.
Use the left hand to hold the line up as the right hand passes the cord around and then tuck it under your finger. Pull tight and repeat. Keep going in the same direction for a spiral knot, or do 10 away from you and then 10 towards you for a zig-zag knot pattern.
When you are getting close to finishing, take a 6-8" piece of cord, fold it in half and lay the loop across the wheel. Do 3 or 4 more wraps, then tuck the end of your line through the loop of your finishing piece. Give the cord a good hard pull and the end will slip under your last 3 wraps.
Clip and burn to finish.
You can clip the end of the cord about 1/4" long, melt good and hot with a lighter, then press a flat or round piece of something to it to make it flush and the end will be large enough to not slip back.

Clear as mud?

If your line is too short, you can add an extra piece by laying it on the steering wheel and do several wraps over it, then switch to the new line. The end of the old line can be layed under the new stuff for a few turns, then clip and burn.
I like to use the long BBQ lighters for this. Heat till it's good and soft, then press the round metal of the lighter onto it to make a nice finished look that won't pull through.
Anyway we can convince you to put up a Youtube tutorial?

Lar45

I did a short section on a stick to show how to start the wrap, splice in an extra piece and finish it. I measered out a 6' piece and it did about 3.5" on a 3/4" stick.

Here is a closeup of the finished section.
http://www.lsstuff.com/misc/half-hitch-01.jpg

The Utube video should be here. (I hope)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-e2a-kc39Y[/media]

If there are any details I missed, just holler.

Attachments

Last edited:

OEFISHER

Thanks for the video Lar45. Finished mine today. I found that it takes about 140 ft of para cord to do the steering wheel on a deuce. If you make a shuttle out of a 1x2 about 8-10 long to wrap the cord on it makes it a lot easier. If I can get a picture tomorrow of the shuttle and the finished wheel I will post it. It got the dark tonight. It took about 1.5-2 hrs but someone without arthritis in their hands can probably cut that time in half.

TraSorr

I have used this wrap on every vehicle I have had for the past 20 years I love it and it feels strange when I drive a vehicle without it.
and who knows as a former scout (not an Eagle) this young man may have been one of many I have shown through the years.

RRworker

Did something similar on my cousin's truck steering wheel. Also on the steering wheel, handbrake lever and shifter on my car along with the levers on my motorcycle. I just used the cobra braid that most people use to make survival bracelets and adapted it to the above listed items, the hard part was getting it around the spokes in the steering wheels. On my car it is one length of 550 cord about 80-90 feet long. I'll try to post up some pictures haven't done this before and downloaded the pictures from my Facebook page to computer and uploaded, hope it works out right.

Howie

Attachments

RRworker

Not sure about the OP, but mine is rocksolid. I did my wrap as tight as I could then sprayed water on it, let it soak in for a minute, then hit it with a blow dryer. It tightened right into the wheel and handbrake lever. The 550 cord I used shrinks a bit when it gets wet then dries. I plan on doing the same thing on various parts on a deuce, well when I get one

Howie

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks