• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

parade preparations

eagle4g63

Well, one of my good friends saw my new deuce(it's not like you can miss these things!!) and had asked if I would be interested in running it in a parade, I said SURE!! well he did his thing and now I am going Tuesday to meet the people in charge!

It will be in the 4th of July parade in Griffith by me for the VFW. I'm so excited that they asked me....my FIRST military truck and also going to be my first parade.

Anyway I started to get it ready, painting and maintenance and all that. I was going to do the regular stuff ANYWAY, so I have changed out all my fuel filters(even upgraded my primary with a modern spin on with water separation) I am going to change the oil and those filters this week. I fixed the horn button and am in the process of fixing my alternator(went out!!)

Next on the list is to change ALL the wood on the seating in the back, don't like the old stuff anyway and I sure don't want anybody getting hurt if one breaks!!!

Here are a few pics so far of the new paint. I don't like the shade of brown so going to order the 383 brown. The first one is the day I brought "Lil' Smokey" home.

One question to any of you who have done a parade, ANYTHING you would suggest to make sure about or what not to be ready for a parade, a lot of slow creeping along(running motor and all) during a normally HOT day. Don't want to be the 14,000lb paper weight mucking up the day!!!

Attachments

RDUKW

The truck is looking great. One piece of advise I have is during the parade put you transfer case in low range as this will let you pick a gear and not be slipping your clutch the whole parade especially with your oversize tires.

Ryan

steelandcanvas

Bring alot of cold water, that cab on the 4th will be like Death Valley in the Summer. Keep your eyes peeled for the two-legged monsters that like to dart out in front of your truck during the parade. Wave alot and honk the horn!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on everything posted so far. When I run in parades I hang banners on the truck. U.S. Army and Support our Troops on the sides and MIA - POW on the back. I usually also pull a trailer, either my M105A2 or M149A2. Remember, this is celebrating Independence Day so hang flags as well if you can. I hang one on each side of the truck on the back of the cab. You will have fun!

dittle

Get a rider in the passenger seat who you trust to keep an eye on things and alert you to any issues that come up. You have a big blind spot on the passenger side (even bigger since you sit higher with the bigger tires) that needs to be watched. Think its stressful in a deuce; try it in a tank where the entry right in front of you is throwing candy down the center of the road....ask me how I know.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most parades have marching bands, color guards, etc. and the ones I've been in do not allow candy or other items to be tossed out to the crowds. Use low range, and probably first or second gear the whole time, which will keep you to a speed of 2-3 mph. Watch the temp gauge! And all of the above advice!

I like to fly some flags during parades. I use aluminum camo netting poles with various mounts. There is proper etiquette for displaying the flag, there have been some good posts on the subject, in the past. I like my flags high, but you may be limited by low wires.:roll:
Here are a few of my parade pictures.

Attachments

FrankUSMC

I had a radio station float in front of me one time throwing candy right in front of my truck, my truck at that time was a very nice 1942 CCKW. I was still in the Marines at that time, after I read the DJs the riot act, the rest of the parade they played very nice.
Have a good time, and drink plenty of water.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

The first time I had my duece the local parade I talked to the person in charge and asked if there were any cub scout/boy scout troups in the parade. I then contacted one of the troup leaders and asked them if they would be interested in a ride. They loved it! Last year they asked me if I was going to be in it again. I did make sure there was at least one or two adults along for the ride to supervise and I also had a person driving along with to keep their eyes open. Yeah, I put it in low range and shifted between 1st and 2nd depending on the speek and gap in front of me. Take your time and enjoy the ride!

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I do several parades a year. I will not do it for a business or someone like that. Scouts, VFW , AL . I am honored to let them ride but no throwing of candy. I saw a person get run over once chaseing candy.

As far as flags go , I have 10 that I fly from the truck & trailer. Don`t get to high because of stop lights and power lines.

Have lots of fun. [thumbzup]

eagle4g63

Boy go away for a few minutes to grill some grub and you guys post more than I thought.

The candy thing I don't have to worry about, Here they only allow curb hand out(people walking the curbs handing candy to the kids) so less stress on the vehicles.

The VFW is who I am driving for so they will have a load of Vets for the trip(they are even going to deck out the truck with all the banners and what not for me) that's why I am painting it up so as to try to make them proud(I sure am honored for them asking me to let them ride in it)

As for the low gear...I was thinking the exact thing, low range on the transfer and maybe 1st or 2nd depending on the pace so as not to have to use the clutch cept to stop. that way I could hopefully just idle along.

As for flags.....Well I had the idea of getting some rectangular tubing that would fit in the uprights on the back of the truck(both sides) so as to hang nice BIG flags and not have them in my line of sight to obstruct anything and also so as not to be beating anyone in the back in the face.

I like the size flags you guys have posted in the pics....How big are they or what size would be good to use? Any help on the proper way to fly them would be appreciated. I am going to be flying an American flag and a POW/MIA flag.

Still toying with the idea of running it with the top off just cause of the heat thing, however I do burn pretty easy so not sure yet. Also already have 2 copilots, Either my wife-if she wants to or if she sits on the side watching with the grand-kids and our friends or my Dad who would love to be able to be in a parade(he also has never been in one).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks