• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

parade preparations

Tlauden

Not sure how most people fly them on deuces but I would try to get the American flag
Flying a little higher than all the rest somehow, but still be mindful of low power lines. I would say that 99.9% of the people that truly care about this country will appericiate the American flag flying higher than the rest. Even if it's only by 6 inches higher. [thumbzup]

Edit: oh and good luck on the parade, they are a blast to be in!

steelandcanvas

As for the low gear...I was thinking the exact thing, low range on the transfer and maybe 1st or 2nd depending on the pace so as not to have to use the clutch cept to stop. that way I could hopefully just idle along.
I have found in my parade experience, 3rd gear low range works about the best. Depends on the pace of the parade, your results may vary.

A lot of you will see this twice, but it's appropriate....I used electrical conduit with eyebolts and carabiners to hang flags from. Always fly the US flag from the right front corner, and higher than whatever you fly on the left. I just got some nice wooden flagpoles from an event, so I've retired the conduit for now.

Attachments

Last edited:

mcmullag

Done many a parade hauling the Marine Corps League in back. Low range, 2nd gear, use the throttle thing on the dash to set speed like cruise control. Open up the windshield and you should be good. USA Flag flies higher than any other flag on truck at right front. Just like the previous posts. I use a 6 foot folding step ladder painted 3 color woodland camo to load the Marines in back.

eagle4g63

Thanks for the links about the flag. I am now going to go by code and hang it high and proud from the RIGHT FRONT of the truck where it is SUPPOSE to be!!

OldDominionIron: What size are those flags on your truck? I want to get them up and out of the field of view for driving but not have little flags flying that high. I looked at some 3'x5' flags today and they look too small for such a large truck, I like the size of your flags. I'll have to drive down the road the way of the parade and double check some heights cause it is normally NOT a TRUCK route so need to verify the height.

eagle4g63

O.K. so I guess I stand corrected. The 3'x5' flag WOULD be the largest flag I could run on the front of the truck. I guess when in the store(I'm a carpenter-so every time I judge size I look at the floor tiles they are 1'x1') the 3x5 looked small to me, BUT now after going out and looking at some different poles against my truck to mount I measured and I'll be, but I only have just over 5' from front bumper to exhaust!! That space looked a lot bigger than that:cookoo:.

Anyway thanks again for all the info guys, I'll post pics as soon as I get some mounts made.

Thanks for the links about the flag. I am now going to go by code and hang it high and proud from the RIGHT FRONT of the truck where it is SUPPOSE to be!!

OldDominionIron: What size are those flags on your truck? I want to get them up and out of the field of view for driving but not have little flags flying that high. I looked at some 3'x5' flags today and they look too small for such a large truck, I like the size of your flags. I'll have to drive down the road the way of the parade and double check some heights cause it is normally NOT a TRUCK route so need to verify the height.
Flags are 3 x 5, conduit is 10' x 1". Photo is from the 2011 Virginia International Tattoo, where I had my truck on display along with a WWI biplane and a English double-decker bus. I'm using wooden flagpoles in this picture.

Attachments