• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

park brake

texas-5-ton

I haven't even crawled under this thing yet to find out the problem, but our parking brake on our 5 ton does not work. The knob on the end of the handle is very tight (stuck) but it will not hold the truck. Anybody have any pointers on this?? Will this brake hold this truck on much of a grade with 1200 gallons of water? What do i need to do to fix this thing?

Hookin1

If the knob is stuck are your sure it is screwed all the way down? also under the truck at the rear of the tranfer is the parking brake it also has an adjustment nut on the cable down there.....make sure you chalk the wheels and release the parking brake b-4 adjusting it under the truck

texas-5-ton

well, i am guessing that is screwed all the way down, however this truck came from the east coast so could it be possible that the cable is rusted up??

westfolk

After that....if the cable has a grease fitting(some do, some don't) grease the hel_ out of it. If it doesn't spray some on the cable ends and keep working it. Also wouldn't hurt to spray some WD-40 on the joints of the brake lever in the cab. Plus grease the parking braking system on the back of the transfer case. If I remember right there are five grease fittings.

westfolk

Myself...I would not rely on the parking brake only in that situation. Depends on the grade. Empty maybe.
Just the same after you get it working play with it and see what it'll do. Better to test it and know what to expect. If you think the cable is froze spray some WD-40 or whatever in the top of the cable housing in the cab and give a pull or two and keep spraying. It should (over time) work its way to the bottom. If it's not really froze up it start moving again. Then grease that sucker.

westfolk

Not really. The only REAL problem would be the cable. What's in the cab can be loosened up by working it and spraying it. Same with the back of the transfer case. Not to bad to do. The worst you'd have to do is change the cable if it doesn't free up. That's not too bad either. Just takes a little time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks