• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking bulb and trans drain question

Ford Mechanic

Hey guys I've got 2 really simple questions that I can't seem to find the answers to. I have searched the forum and the TM's especially about the 2nd question.

#1 I have a front parking bulb burned out it's a 2 filament bulb marked ML 623 I assume it's 24 volt. Is this a mil-surplus supplier only bulb? Does anyone have a crossover #? Or where did you get a replacement from? I have taken it to our parts store and one more that deals with big truck parts and they couldn't find one to match.

#2 What size allen wrench does the transmission drain plug take? Mine has a 6 sided hole for the plug instead of the normal 4 sided 1/2 ratchet hole. None of mine are even close and I would prefer to buy the correct on the first time when dealing with Snap On or Cornwell.

Thanks guys in advance,
Mike

Last edited:

two.fiveM35

For the bulb, it is 24v, look at Saturn Surplus, Erik's Military Surplus or one of the others. I believe you can just put a ratchet in the the plug and take it out.

Ford Mechanic

Thanks for the reply's guys.

So the bulbs a surplus parts dealer item only, thanks I'll just order a few with my next thing of parts.

My trans drain has a 6 sided plug instead of 4, that's why I was asking. Ya'll are useing just a 1/2 breaker bar in it?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not all plugs are square drive. Some are 9/16" hex. The least expensive item to use is, a 3/8" all-thread rod coupling. Then use a wrench on it.

The bulb has 2 elements for durability. A less durable replacement bulb can have only one element.

Saturn Surplus has them.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the reply's guys.

My trans drain has a 6 sided plug instead of 4, that's why I was asking. Ya'll are useing just a 1/2 breaker bar in it?

No. They don't realize that a small # of the trucks out there have a recessed allen drain plug. The majority of the trucks out there have a 1/2" square, but a few have the hex style.

I can't remember what size it is.

nk14zp

Not all plugs are square drive. Some are 9/16" hex. The least expensive item to use is, a 3/8" all-thread rod coupling. Then use a wrench on it.

The bulb has 2 elements for durability. A less durable replacement bulb can have only one element.

Saturn Surplus has them.
Ditto on the 9/16. My local napa can get me the bulbs but they are costly.

runk

Or McMaster-Carr for the bulbs.
McMaster-Carr
1505k389 or 9527t085

I jammed nuts on a bolt to make a doubled ended bolt, but a coupling nut would have been a better idea, wish this had come up before lunch, I would have added one to my McMaster Carr order this morning...
McMaster-Carr

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was hoping someone had a NAPA or Carquest type # for it.

Click on the last(of 3 links) I posted in post #9. (links are the yellow words)

All you need to tell anyone is, you need a # 623 bulb. Like when you ask for an 1157 bulb...