• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking bulb and trans drain question

Ford Mechanic

Hey guys I've got 2 really simple questions that I can't seem to find the answers to. I have searched the forum and the TM's especially about the 2nd question.

#1 I have a front parking bulb burned out it's a 2 filament bulb marked ML 623 I assume it's 24 volt. Is this a mil-surplus supplier only bulb? Does anyone have a crossover #? Or where did you get a replacement from? I have taken it to our parts store and one more that deals with big truck parts and they couldn't find one to match.

#2 What size allen wrench does the transmission drain plug take? Mine has a 6 sided hole for the plug instead of the normal 4 sided 1/2 ratchet hole. None of mine are even close and I would prefer to buy the correct on the first time when dealing with Snap On or Cornwell.

Thanks guys in advance,
Mike

Last edited:

two.fiveM35

For the bulb, it is 24v, look at Saturn Surplus, Erik's Military Surplus or one of the others. I believe you can just put a ratchet in the the plug and take it out.

Ford Mechanic

Thanks for the reply's guys.

So the bulbs a surplus parts dealer item only, thanks I'll just order a few with my next thing of parts.

My trans drain has a 6 sided plug instead of 4, that's why I was asking. Ya'll are useing just a 1/2 breaker bar in it?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not all plugs are square drive. Some are 9/16" hex. The least expensive item to use is, a 3/8" all-thread rod coupling. Then use a wrench on it.

The bulb has 2 elements for durability. A less durable replacement bulb can have only one element.

Saturn Surplus has them.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the reply's guys.

My trans drain has a 6 sided plug instead of 4, that's why I was asking. Ya'll are useing just a 1/2 breaker bar in it?

No. They don't realize that a small # of the trucks out there have a recessed allen drain plug. The majority of the trucks out there have a 1/2" square, but a few have the hex style.

I can't remember what size it is.

nk14zp

Not all plugs are square drive. Some are 9/16" hex. The least expensive item to use is, a 3/8" all-thread rod coupling. Then use a wrench on it.

The bulb has 2 elements for durability. A less durable replacement bulb can have only one element.

Saturn Surplus has them.
Ditto on the 9/16. My local napa can get me the bulbs but they are costly.

runk

Or McMaster-Carr for the bulbs.
McMaster-Carr
1505k389 or 9527t085

I jammed nuts on a bolt to make a doubled ended bolt, but a coupling nut would have been a better idea, wish this had come up before lunch, I would have added one to my McMaster Carr order this morning...
McMaster-Carr

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was hoping someone had a NAPA or Carquest type # for it.

Click on the last(of 3 links) I posted in post #9. (links are the yellow words)

All you need to tell anyone is, you need a # 623 bulb. Like when you ask for an 1157 bulb...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks