• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Perfect Truck & Perfect Gentleman

Ronin Warrior

Hello to All,

I am a recent new member to SS and joined in hope of finding the perfect M35 for my family. I was very lucky!:smile:

I found HAMMER in our area (Washington) and he had the perfect truck for us. The price was right and the truck is solid. 1971 AM General M35A2 with a whistler. GOD I LOVE THAT SOUND!:driver:

Long story short Hammer is a "REAL MAN", at least by my definition. He is honest, fair, and good to his word. He also did not represent the truck he was selling as anything it was not. Most of the trucks my wife & I looked at were advertised as perfect and a long way from functional. Lots of misrepresentation on the Internet.

Unfortunately these are characteristics that are very rare in today's world. In addition he is helping me get on board with the things that deuce ownership involves. Hammer is also lucky enough to have a wonderful wife. She is kind and very classy. If these two sell anything else be asured your getting a square deal.

Having said all that, there are minor things that need attention to be ready for the open road. I'm hoping to find the help I need here.

All of the lights on the truck work except ror the brake lights when the brakes are applied. Any thoughts?

I'll post pictures as soon as I learn how!:confused:

RW

airmech3839

Welcome to the club and just cause you said you were gonna post pics wont keep us from posting nopics

Sorry!! Had to do it! it is required by law here!! Again welcome and post away!! I would start by downloading the manuals for your truck in the resources area from the Tech Manual list...and one of them will have the wiring manual and you can look at how the system gets its power when brakes are applied... Part of owning these trucks is getting to know them real well in the areas that they give each operator trouble...like mine is fuel issues I am learning lots about the fuel system and delivery...you will probably get to kno the electrical wiring on yours real well in the coming days... Enjoy this time of getting to know your new family member!!

srodocker

Welcome aboard and im sure he told you about the convoy in july :)

i'll be driving through merdian today to my buddys in graham. if you see a tan topped deuce its me :)

airmech3839

Found troubleshooting guide manual on your issue... TM 9-2320-209-20-2-2 Pg 26-18 and on.... I know this may sound silly but did you check the bulbs yet? pull cover and have wife step on brakes and check for power at bulb....if no power trace wires back till you get power when brakes are applied....just a thought...

Josh

Ed(Hammer) is by far one of the more awesome people I've ever met. He would bend of backwards to help someone out, and to boot, hes like a walking TM.

Last edited:

Ronin Warrior

Thanks Airmech,

Just got that manual to down load.

I'm real lucky: 1) I'm retired 2) I don't play golf!

My new HOBBY will not be trucks, rather truck manuals. LOL I'll give this a go and respond with the results. Clint Digger also told me that most often when every thing works including the flashers, it's usually the sending switch on the air booster unit. So i'm ordering a new one.

Is it true that the wiring harness has a front/main section as well as a rear section?

I'm thinking of doing a new harness set because I am using the truck everyday to move materials for my new home build & would like to resolve issues permanately on the old girl as I go.

I really appreciate all the help you folks give. Trucks were not my direct MOS in the service!:smile:

RW

Hammer

Ed(Hammer) is by far one of the more awesome people I've ever met. He would bend of backwards to help someone out, and to boot, hes like a walking TM.
You just say that because I have saved your arse a few times now!

Hammer

As for the truck itself. It is a real solid truck. Nothing major was wrong, just some little things that needed some attention, and I hadn't had time to get to them yet.

We are just glad that the truck will get to be USED. Always a good thing! And taken care of as well, and THAT is a hard combo to find as well!

Go figure though, I had two separate issues happen to the truck. One the day he showed up to look it over (in the rain, hail, wind, etc....), and the other the day he showed up to buy it.
Neither were an issue BEFORE he had it!
But Murphy had to pay a visit just to rub it in my face.....

jimm1009

There is a cannon plug where the front and rear wire harness halves meet that is near the master cyclinder but I don't remember if it is just in front or just in the back of same.
jimm1009

jimm1009

Also, do you have turn signals in the rear? If you do then there is a 85% chance the brake switch is bad.
Do you have the older fluid-style brake switch or has it been converted to the air style brake switch.
I would bet that the switch is bad but as suggested above. Check for power or pull the plug off the brake switch and short the two wires together while someone is watching the brake lights (make sure master switch is on during test).
If you have brakes lights then 100% that it is the switch.
There is a vendor here on S.S. that has the air style switch which is much better and an official military upgrade.
jimm10009

Hammer

All the lights work. No burnt bulbs. Blinkers, etc all work fine.
The brake lights worked fine up until after he drove it off.

Ronin Warrior

Jimm,

Hammer is right it is only the actuation of the brake lights when applied. Knock on wood, everything else is great! Can I buy the rear section of wire harness anywhere, and can you refer the gentleman who has the upgraded switch as I'm trying to replace little things with new parts as I go?[thumbzup]

Other than this, the truck rocks on the road!!!:driver:

Hammer,

Seriously brother, read your last Email! You need to get into some sort of a program, your an addict!rofl

Just because we say nice things about each other doesn't mean we are going to swap spit and taken long showers together, that's for the navy. Have a good trip to CA. Beers when you get back!

RW

Last edited:

Ronin Warrior

SRODOCKER,

Great minds baby, great minds!

Right about the time you were calling the play I was sticking my needle nose pliers in the plug to jump the circuit. And then there were brake lights.

Ordering switches tonight, thanks pardner[thumbzup]

Got some great pictures and don't have a clue how to post them:confused:

Thanks

RW

army70deuce

I had this same problem. If you slide under the truck under the drivers side step and look up you should see what's in the attached picture (ignore the red arrows, I used this picture for one of my other questions) in the Yellow Circle. Check the connection and the wires, if one is frayed or broken the you just need to trim it and use a good wire nut and electrical tape to reconnect, or order a new one.

Attachments

jimm1009

Saturn Surplus has the upgrade switch as a kit which has the other misc. parts needed in order to switch from the old style fluid pressure switch to the new style air switch.
The Saturn kit p/n is 12255668 and lists for $38.50 on their web site.
I called them this AM (Monday) and they said that they have stock at this time.
Other suppliers also have the switch by it self but I am not aware of anyone selling the upgrade kit.
Good luck,
jimm1009

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saturn Surplus has the upgrade switch as a kit which has the other misc. parts needed in order to switch from the old style fluid pressure switch to the new style air switch.
The Saturn kit p/n is 12255668 and lists for $38.50 on their web site.
I called them this AM (Monday) and they said that they have stock at this time.
Other suppliers also have the switch by it self but I am not aware of anyone selling the upgrade kit.
Good luck,
jimm1009

Erik's does. Brake Light Air Operated Switch Upgrade Kit For M35A2, 12255668

Ronin Warrior

Jimm & Cattle,

Thanks Bothers! I am not sure that I need an upgrade kit. Mike at O.D. and I think, as of last night that all I need is the switch he sells. I bought a couple and they are on the way now. I have saved all this information and will up gradee if the collective thinks that is the best choice. It really helps a FNG such as myself to have the input from all you guys.:)

After chow, here in a minute I will load a bucket of pictures and try to get them posted. Standfast because some of them are of the part in question and you can make a visual judgement

Thanks

RW

Ronin Warrior

Pictures at the Hammer Ranch

OK,

Here are the original pictures from a week or so ago at the Hammer compound. We ( my wife & I ), spent several days down there and the property is beautiful and Mr. & Mrs. Hammer are awesome people.:grin:

A good look shows "The Deuce", as Mrs. Hammer calls her had a wonderful home in Onalaska.

The others are the switch in question.

Have a look

RW001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

017.jpg

Last edited: