• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Personal Rant....... 5 ton wanted......

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeadWizard

Plain and simple, if you buy to resell to support your hobby/addiction (whatever you want to call it and however you want to justify it) you are a dealer.
Well said.

There are lots of us who buy and sell not only trucks, but various other surplus to support our families and our hobby. If that means I am a dealer, OK.

I get the feeling that some SS members believe that there is something bad about being labeled a "dealer" in surplus property. I don't get it. I don't think there's many of us who haven't seen something they want at auction - but there were 3 of that item in the lot and you only need 1. What do you do? You buy the lot of 3 and split them with your buddies or sell what you don't need. Uh oh, you're now a dealer!

Cam started this thread with his opinion and I fully respect him (and everyone else's opinion). Very good debate, now can we just get back talking about trucks?

Don

PS. - Anyone want to buy an M813A1? :-D

Pappa-G

I believe that GL should limit the number of simular lotts that one bidder can buy. Thats just me.
Back 20 years ago when it was live auction by DRMO I bought a 1984 1008 for $800 and would buy lotts of 3 M416 trailers for $75(yes I paid $25 each for them).
Now your best bet for parts and equipment is here, buying from the members and forum supporters/advertisers.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dealers can only sell trucks for market value. They may find a sucker every now and then but for the most part if they want to stay in business that have to sell their trucks at or below market value. If you bid aginst a dealer and win you got the truck below market value. Dealers aren't bad, they just look at MVs different than you do.

n3sq

FYI

In PA if you sell more than 6 vehicles a year you need to get a dealer license . . .
Probably the same in a lot of other states.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that GL should limit the number of simular lotts that one bidder can buy. Thats just me.
Back 20 years ago when it was live auction by DRMO I bought a 1984 1008 for $800 and would buy lotts of 3 M416 trailers for $75(yes I paid $25 each for them).
Now your best bet for parts and equipment is here, buying from the members and forum supporters/advertisers.
If you owned GL and depended on it for you livelyhood would you limit the number of lots someone could buy? I agree it would be great for some people but it would cut into GL's profits.

How many people gripe about truck prices and also gripe about government waste? If they don't get all they can out of government surplus I'd call that waste. I know I've been guilty but it's something to think about :wink:.

Reactions: DUG

mtk

Once again, I got a few more very good posts but I will ignore the "bit dogs" that keep calling me a whiner. Get over it. You sit behind a computer and talk tough. I don't have time for that crap. I still want a 5 ton and did not say I wanted to move to a communist country to get it. I know probably as much about auctions as most of you. I have a friend that bought 50+ M151's for $100 ea. He sold all but one. I am not a newbie either. I have been helping my dad find personal stuff since 1991. He restored his first jeep to get sober. He has been sober since. Don't get on this computer and think you know me. You don't. Now either give me a point of view or go to another thread. If you are a dealer, you can give me your opinion without making assumptions about me, trust me, they will be wrong.
I know an ass when I see one.

You wanted a point of view. There it is.

Cam Morehead

Dealers can only sell trucks for market value. They may find a sucker every now and then but for the most part if they want to stay in business that have to sell their trucks at or below market value. If you bid aginst a dealer and win you got the truck below market value. Dealers aren't bad, they just look at MVs different than you do.
Yep

Status
Not open for further replies.