• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Personal Rant....... 5 ton wanted......

Status
Not open for further replies.

roscoe

Honestly, I think for what your getting these trucks a damn cheap. As Dr. Greg said, compare to what other vehicles in that price range come with. To get a 5 ton 6x6 truck for under 10k seems like a bargain to me. Just wish I didn't have so many other priorities or I'd get one.

zb39

Just for the record.:-D Your average 32oz drink of sody pop cost the fast food retailer this much. Our cost, 32 oz plastic cup with lid 29 cents, straw .79 cents, ice 4 cents, actuall sody pop consisting of syrup 9 cents and water .18 cents. Grand total 42.97 cents. Plus it is being dispensed out of a $4300 machine that I pay to maintain. Also I pay royalty off of every $ that come over the counter. Just thought you should know:razz:. I have owned multiple fast food resturants for 19 years. Always have a free place to eat..no wait, I paid for it!

54reo

Just for the record.:-D Your average 32oz drink of sody pop cost the fast food retailer this much. Our cost, 32 oz plastic cup with lid 29 cents, straw .79 cents, ice 4 cents, actuall sody pop consisting of syrup 9 cents and water .18 cents. Grand total 42.97 cents. Plus it is being dispensed out of a $4300 machine that I pay to maintain. Also I pay royalty off of every $ that come over the counter. Just thought you should know:razz:. I have owned multiple fast food resturants for 19 years. Always have a free place to eat..no wait, I paid for it!
And a $4800, 600# ice machine; that uses electricity that I pay; all put together by a $7.50 per hour high school kid that I pay....etc. etc. etc.

I feel your pain zb39.

HeadWizard

Maybe the economy and a lack of resale will force the price down.........
I could only wish....

Who do you think buys & sells all the parts you need to fix your projects? If everything went to the scrap heap.....you would be S.O.L. on the side of the road with a leaky radiator or broken drive shaft.

I would suggest THANKING people that are out to make $$$.....because without them, there would not be a hobby.
Amen, brother!

Im thinking I dont need 14 or 18 of these trucks. A couple will be fine.
Now don't knock having 14 or 18 trucks until you try it! ....although I don't have an M818, hmmmmmm

Do you know who bids these trucks up? Half the guys on this list disguise themselves as collectors, but actually fund their hobby by buying and selling trucks. I could name a dozen or so guys just from watching this site the last few months. Who wants to be outted? :-D It used to be that most guys bought for themselves and they used to buy one or two trucks. Now, guys are bidding on three, four, five or more trucks. One guy said he bought his first truck in October and claims to have 15+ trucks and he says he's not a newby! Anytime you have someone who just got into the hobby and now has more than two trucks you basically just spotted a backyard dealer. Right or wrong, guys see a chance to make money and these are the guys bidding trucks up.
Just because someone has a few trucks doesn't make them a dealer. Some of us have have have have have have have have have a mental disease that causes us to run our credit cards to the limit so we can run out of parking by filling up every last inch with rusty ex-military items.

This is not about the bidding price to me. This is about you paying $3000 for a vehicle and then listing it for $6000 before you ever get it. It is my opinion and I will not change that. You are right, you can do whatever you want. That does not mean I will respect or like you for it. Cam
I respect you for standing up with an opinion - regardless of what it is.

What is a Hardees bisquit? They any good?
If you're trying to cure a hangover.

so what came first, the buyer or the seller
Neither. It was GL.

Like it or not, an auction is just that. Highest bidder wins. If someone can't afford what the market demands for a specific item, they need to find something else to buy or save up their pennies - like the rest of us have to do.

FYI, there were a bunch of 5 tons that went really cheap about a month ago - lots of people must have been asleep at the switch.

Last edited:

westfolk

Wow, this is a hot thread today. A little more than 12 hours on and we are heading to page 10.

ida34

Prices go up. That is the nature of things. I waited and waited and waited until I found a deuce near me on GL listed as a runner and got it for the price I wanted. That whole process took about a year because I am cheap. I will not pay the dealer retail for one. For a while M818s seemed to be plentiful and I bought one cheap like I wanted. I then got another project and had to sell the M818 to fund it. I can't afford to keep all the trucks I want. Five tons are always more money because they are more useful and there are less of them. I sold my M818 for a pretty good profit. I did work to it and painted it so it was better then when It came from the military. Now the prices ebay prices seem to have come down on everything. Deuces and five tons. I could not sell my M818 for what I got for it today because the trucks all got cheaper when the fuel went up and the economy went down. Right now the best deals on these are on Ebay instead of GL. I was just talking to another SS member today about this. The biggest thing that has caused the prices to go up is GL itself. The internet way of buying surplus has opened up the whole experience to the couch potato armchair crowd. The old way was to actually go to a real auction at a post. The trucks were really cheap then. You only had to beat out the guys in the room not thousands looking on the internet. How many of us would go to a real auction to buy these trucks. The dealers still went to the auctions and got great deals too. The convenience of the internet is the real culprit. I don't think I would have gotten my stuff were it not for the internet auction experience. I have went to live auctions from time to time but it is far easier to sit and look at the computer and wait for the right deal. Imagine going to a years worth of auctions just waiting for the right truck at the right price. I say this. The internet auctions have significantly helped the hobby collectors more than it has helped the dealers. It may have spawned a few small time dealers as a side effect but on the whole the internet auction both GL and Ebay have made it easier for the regular Joe to get a good truck and parts for it. The big dealers were going to all the live auctions no matter what. They are probably sitting back complaining about all of the us collectors running up the price. We pay for the convenience and there is always an uninformed guy that is willing to pay "retail" at a GL auction because he does not know any better. When we want a truck we want the prices to be low but when we have the truck or want to sell the truck we want to see high prices. Either way, it is what it is. Either pony up to play or go home. I want a wrecker bad but I think my cheap nature will make sure I never get one. Now I need to check some GL auctions. Later.

Last edited:

O'Keeffe

I just look at the bottom of the listing where it says acquisition price: $100,187.00 and think, damn, what a deal we're getting. I'll be more than happy to pay a nice chunk of change for a 5 ton dump that I'll probably use 'til I'm too old to drive.

Cam Morehead

Once again, I got a few more very good posts but I will ignore the "bit dogs" that keep calling me a whiner. Get over it. You sit behind a computer and talk tough. I don't have time for that crap. I still want a 5 ton and did not say I wanted to move to a communist country to get it. I know probably as much about auctions as most of you. I have a friend that bought 50+ M151's for $100 ea. He sold all but one. I am not a newbie either. I have been helping my dad find personal stuff since 1991. He restored his first jeep to get sober. He has been sober since. Don't get on this computer and think you know me. You don't. Now either give me a point of view or go to another thread. If you are a dealer, you can give me your opinion without making assumptions about me, trust me, they will be wrong.

Cam Morehead

And a $4800, 600# ice machine; that uses electricity that I pay; all put together by a $7.50 per hour high school kid that I pay....etc. etc. etc.

I feel your pain zb39.
I feel all this. I own a plumbing business. I have to take a $40,000 trackhoe to a job to do a $1000 job. By the time i pay fuel, insurance, labor, wear and tear, trailer, truck, etc......... I know how you feel. I guess only a few of you see where I am coming from on the business/collector issue. Carry on with the bashing........

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The prices at the DRMO live auctions before GL were EXACTLY what they are today for the same trucks, except the trucks were cannibalized disasters. Yup, the dealers were there every month, running up the prices. But as a taxpayer, I was glad uncle was getting some of his investment back, rather than just scrap everything.

Cam Morehead

Wow, that's all it took?

Hello Cam,

Senior Chief Ames, US Navy. Still active after 24 short years and 7 deployments.
It took him introducing himself AND stating his opinion without making me out to be a whiner. I am not saying I am right or anyone is right, just my outlook. He stated his name and opinion. That is why I gave respect. You have now done the same thing. Thank you sir. Respect also given. Cam

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It took him introducing himself AND stating his opinion without making me out to be a whiner. I am not saying I am right or anyone is right, just my outlook. He stated his name and opinion. That is why I gave respect. You have now done the same thing. Thank you sir. Respect also given. Cam

:)

Truely sorry if you thought I was making you out to be a whiner. You just have a different opinion than mine. Yours was a "rant" even (if I read the title correctly).

I wasn't picking on you or trying to talk tough, just replying to your self titled rant and then replying to the reply and then replying to the reply of the reply and......................

My opinions are still the same - highest bidder wins - do whatever you legally want with whatever you legally bought - good on anyone who can legally make a buck.

And Cam, thank you for taking the time and resources to honor Vets. My wife is a vet, my dad is a vet, my lil bro is a vet (and coming back in) and someday, somehow I plan on becoming a vet.

So when it comes to pricing on 5 tons, we'll just have to respectfully disagree. That's our right.

frankieboy

Plain and simple, if you buy to resell to support your hobby/addiction (whatever you want to call it and however you want to justify it) you are a dealer. Please don't use the "I am saving it from the scrap heap" justification. It is insulting that you would think that by taking the moral high ground you are somehow above this discussion. Suffice to say that you are not saving anything from the scrap heap. I can't see how anyone can make money selling scrap these days unless they are buying trucks for pennies on the dollar. Please don't make me do the math for you to show you how buying a deuce for $1200 does not equate to a scrap guy making money. Anyway, by the logic of many on this list, the high bidder should be able to do whatever they want with the trucks they win anyway.

frankieboy

The guy who buys a residue truck and parts it out or puts it back together is saving something from the scrap heap, not the guy buying four deuces with the intention of making money to pay for their collection. Nothing wrong with that if you are honest about what you are doing. I believe it was WRECKERMAN who said that he does that. I have more respect for someone who tells me what he is doing than the person who disguises himself as a collector but is trying to wheel and deal. I can't remember who said this, but, I agree, there are many more dealers now than there were 15 years ago.

Cam Morehead

:)

Truely sorry if you thought I was making you out to be a whiner. You just have a different opinion than mine. Yours was a "rant" even (if I read the title correctly).

I wasn't picking on you or trying to talk tough, just replying to your self titled rant and then replying to the reply and then replying to the reply of the reply and......................

My opinions are still the same - highest bidder wins - do whatever you legally want with whatever you legally bought - good on anyone who can legally make a buck.

And Cam, thank you for taking the time and resources to honor Vets. My wife is a vet, my dad is a vet, my lil bro is a vet (and coming back in) and someday, somehow I plan on becoming a vet.

So when it comes to pricing on 5 tons, we'll just have to respectfully disagree. That's our right.
No harm, no foul. Opinions are like butts, everybody has one. I added some personal pics to the page this morning. Cam

The Military page Funny thing is my family thanks me... I feel guilty when a Vet thanks me. Everyone in my family is a cop or a Vet.... I have no idea how I got in to racing motorcycles.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks