• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Photos?

NovacaineFix

Test using:

Google Chrome
iMac using OsX Yosemite 10.10.5
File size is 5312x2988 pixels (average about 4 MB each)

20151223_160926.jpg20151226_130041.jpg20151226_130042.jpg

uploaded fine,but took a little long, most likely due to the size.

When reduced by 50% using Preview app (Mac)
upload time was reduced by about 30 seconds
file size is about 1494x2656 pixels or about 950 KB in size, each

20151223_160926.jpg20151226_130041.jpg20151226_130042.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pic load

Finding upload speed is a little challenge. So far, this site has worked for speed tests. http://www.speedtest.net/

Windows 07
Fire Fox
Trying to load pics sized from 1.0MB to 1.4MB, one pic was 554kb
Upload speed was 1.09mbps

Less important download speed is 15.6

Right clicking on a picture gives up a box with the word "properties" near the bottom. Pic size, among other items, is listed in the 'properties' box. Who knew?

I have never pre-sized a pic before sharing it on the site so might try that. These loaded good so we'll try some more.

.PC311299.jpgccdma siren 011.jpg

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're having trouble uploading pictures I've had a few people mention this, but I need a lot more info.

1. What OS?
2. What browser?
3. What size are the images?
4. What is your internet connection speed? (Upload specifically)

I've not be able to duplicate any issues on my end between Win 8.1, Win 7, and a Mac. Using FF as the browser. All latest and greatest releases. Also works from Cable internet, DSL, and DS3 connections, and cellular.

1. Windows 7
  2. Firefox version 42.0 (I have not tried again since updating now to Firefox version 43.0) - Same problem when I tried to use Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.18097
  3. Images were .jpg 2-3 MB, 3264 pixels x 2448 pixels, taken with an iPhone 5s
  4. Internet connection speed is 25Mb (upstream)

I had this issue when posting my free and for sale ads two weeks ago (around New Years). Some would work, others would not (sorry, I no longer have the originals around to retry). I opened the pictures in MS Paint and re-saved them as .PNGs. Sometimes this worked, mostly it didn't. I even tried .tif.

The solution I found was to resize the images to 50% (1632x1224) and re-save as the original .jpg. Worked every time. Otherwise I would be left with the forever uploading or a quick upload but no pictures like others have reported here.

To me, this points to pixel size of the images and an issue in SS's image re-sizing handler (or whatever method is performed on the uploaded images) and not any of the others (browser, OS, file size, upload capacity) - but I'm no web expert!

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's been no change to any of the file structure. There was a change made to apache when we were being attacked, but that was to only ignore multiple requests from the same IP. Perhaps that's causing it. But the problem is, how to correct just the upload aspect (if that's the cause), without opening back up the security risk.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks