• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a M501 Hawk Carrier

98taco3

Well there's not a forum for them on here so with its tracked brethren it goes! Picked up a fairly complete M501 Hawk Missile Carrier yesterday... for $100 bucks haha.

Engine is free and the drivetrain is complete. The control linkages are all seized up but shouldn't take too long to pull them apart and get them cleaned up. The oils in the gear boxes are clean as well, no water. It ought to fire up without too much trouble and i'll be able to see if the drivetrain has any issues considering the track is off.

Looks like they were tooling around in it and broke a few end connectors. Then just left the thing where it was.

Found the second track sitting in the dirt 30 feet away from it. At least its there but its in somewhat sorry condition. Anyone know of a supplier who may have some track sections?

20170213_124655.jpg

20170213_124650.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What about POSTING pictures on site instead of a link, I sorta remember some thing in the RULES about that, if it is NOT important enough to post on site, why bother with a link.

AMGeneral

I worked on a "basket case" Hawk for a fellow here locally, he had left it in the care of a mechanic friend for 5 years with no success in getting it running.

I had to work out a lot of loose bolts, missing fittings, cut and taped wiring, but it was a blast to drive when it was done, a 1-2 full throttle shift will almost bring the front idlers off the ground!

I wouldn't mind having one myself, no idea what I would do with it though.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome deal! That will be fun to work on and even more fun to drive. I'm so jealous.:drool:

98taco3

What about POSTING pictures on site instead of a link, I sorta remember some thing in the RULES about that, if it is NOT important enough to post on site, why bother with a link.
I have used Image code, Its not working properly. Image upload would not function at the time I made the post either.

Last edited:

98taco3

It will be interesting to try to de-hibernate and see what sort of shape its really in. Will have to track down some end connectors for it as it appears it broke a few and threw both tracks. Must have been a wild ride when it happened.

Should have it to the house this weekend and get a better look at it!

Guyfang

Staff member
You need to find a member in El Paso and or White Sands. I just got a mail from someone I know who told me HAWK equipment is laying all over White Sands. There is a HAWK museum there. It would be a good place to start asking around. I will see if anyone in my HAWK face book group can give me a lead.

One good thing is that the engine is the same as a M151A2 jeep. Should be easy to get parts.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
It will be interesting to try to de-hibernate and see what sort of shape its really in. Will have to track down some end connectors for it as it appears it broke a few and threw both tracks. Must have been a wild ride when it happened.

Should have it to the house this weekend and get a better look at it!
One night in the early 70's, we built a jump with our bucket loader and were jumping a loader. This was on our missile site. We were temporarily stupid that night. Both rear differentials broke after a real long jump. The motor sergeant was not amused. We spent a few hours of our own time making repairs. We had three loaders in our Battery.

98taco3

You need to find a member in El Paso and or White Sands. I just got a mail from someone I know who told me HAWK equipment is laying all over White Sands. There is a HAWK museum there. It would be a good place to start asking around. I will see if anyone in my HAWK face book group can give me a lead.

One good thing is that the engine is the same as a M151A2 jeep. Should be easy to get parts.
Thanks! I appreciate you putting the word out there! Mine is actually the earlier M38A1 powered variant and it hasnt been refit with a M151 engine. Must have been surplused out fairly early.

Guyfang

Staff member
Hawk was active from the early 60's, up to 2007? So there was lots of toys made, and nothing tossed away. You know, check the Raytheon web site. If there is a "conntact us" place to click on, they might be able to help also.

98taco3

Shes a runner! Got it home yesterday and had it running in a couple of hours. Drivetrain is solid and seems ready to go. Now to just find track, the track is in far worse shape that I thought. Bunch of broken end connectors and the rubber has separated from a lot of the track blocks. End connectors are easy to have made but the track pads not so much.

Heres a video of the first start up with the transmission in drive.

https://youtu.be/sP7k8XoOwSE

Another Ahab

Shes a runner! Got it home yesterday and had it running in a couple of hours. Drivetrain is solid and seems ready to go. Now to just find track, the track is in far worse shape that I thought. Bunch of broken end connectors and the rubber has separated from a lot of the track blocks. End connectors are easy to have made but the track pads not so much.
It's running; so great!

Betting it's a lot of work, but could you make the track pads out of old tire rubber; are they riveted on or something?

Guyfang

Staff member
Talk to the german HAWK group. I think they had the pads recast someplace.

There is also, (Iremember because I had to change track on all three loaders from rubber to Ice/non rubber track as punishment) a track made for off road and or ice/snow travel. Look in the operator's manual for it under BII.

The track pads are cast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks