• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up my first MEP-002A today

bookpile

I was just doing some more experimenting, the glow plug on cylinder closest to the blower fan is ice cold after a minute preheat. The other glowplug is hot but I can hold my finger there for a few seconds unlike the two on the air intake which are blazing hot. So I need to replace at least one if not both glow plugs, both are rusted solid of course.

So maybe once I got the fuel system clear and bled and ran it for 30 min this morning it knocked out what was left of the one glow plug and this is what's causing it not to start now? Sound possible? Wishful thinking?

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Last edited:

storeman

Think about it Munchies, Triple Jim is in Northern NC, Bookpile is in PA; you are in MS. I doubt you will ever need to preheat in MS. The guys north would like to be able to start in Feb. However, both should be able to start this month of August without preheat unless both are at high elevation. He gave too little info on his location to be of any use.
v.r.,
Jerry 2cents

storeman

Munchies,
No disrespect intended. Same starting experience here in VA at 60 degrees.
BTW:
I also was born in MI, (Mt. Morris, a bit north of Flint). Am in VA by choice having left MI 52 years ago. Where are you from in MI?
Jerry

Munchies

Munchies,
No disrespect intended. Same starting experience here in VA at 60 degrees.
BTW:
I also was born in MI, (Mt. Morris, a bit north of Flint). Am in VA by choice having left MI 52 years ago. Where are you from in MI?
Jerry
From the SE. Moved around from Livonia-redford area. Family is from Livonia mostly, huge bunch of them up in the Gaylord area as well. Then moved to AZ, then the military happened. Then wife/kids/kids again, now in swampy mississippi.

Triple Jim

The 002A and 003A activate the glow plugs when cranking, so even without preheat, you're using the glow plugs to start if they're functional.

Triple Jim

I didn't know it when I got my 003A either, and thought I was pretty special, being able to start it without preheat on a nice hot July day in NC, even though it took a few seconds to fire. When I figured it out I felt kinda dumb. icon_lol.gif

Isaac-1

While a little off topic, I am rather impressed with the starting ability of my MEP-701a, it will reliably start without pre-heat down to about 28 or 29 degrees, after being cold soaked over night down into the low 20's. It does chug a bit of smoke, but starts within a couple of seconds. I have not tried that with my MEP-002a since I have only owned it for about a year and we had a mild winter last year.

Ike

bookpile

Well it sounds like it is still possible my glowplugs are the issues since they come on in the start position but a little unlikely since I am only 150ft elevation and it was 80 degrees here yesterday. I need to replace them anyway though since I am sure I will need them in the winter. I'll try ordering some today.

If glow plugs are not the problem, what issue in the fuel system would let it run at full power for 30 minutes but then not allow it to restart? I guess I'll take off the high pressure line from the IP and make sure it's still pumping when I get home from work.

bookpile

Got home from work today, barely tapped the start button and it fired right up! Let it run for 30 minutes, shut her down and same thing as yesterday, the starter wouldn't try. So I tried jumping the starter cutout switch and she fired right up. I removed the jumper and it wouldn't start. Did this over and over again to verify it was the issue. So it looks like when that switch heats up it won't let me restart until it cools off. Now I just have to tear into the switch and figure out what's going on.

I don't know why it seemed fuel starved yesterday but after letting it run for 30 minutes again and then restarting it multiple times today I'm getting more confident the fuel system is flushed out.

Jimc

once you really get her runnin, the best thing you can do is put it under heavy load and let it run that way for a few hours. many things get sticky from sitting. giving it a workout to get it good and hot frees alot of things up. you'll need to tackle that switch though. they are fairly basic. just a set of contacts. there is a pin in there though with a red bellows that pushes the contacts. maybe that is a little sticky.

bookpile

That makes a lot of sense. Now that I know it is basically working, I have to decide where to put it and how to wire it into the house. Then I can really load test it.

Thanks

storeman

"Got home from work today, barely tapped the start button and it fired right up! Let it run for 30 minutes, shut her down and same thing as yesterday, the starter wouldn't try. So I tried jumping the starter cutout switch and she fired right up. I removed the jumper and it wouldn't start. Did this over and over again to verify it was the issue. So it looks like when that switch heats up it won't let me restart until it cools off. Now I just have to tear into the switch and figure out what's going on."

Sounds like your overheat sensor is shutting it down and won't allow restart until the unit cools.
Jerry

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks