• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up an LMTV tomorrow... pretrip prep?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I dont really pay attention to the fuel consumption. Just fill it when its at 1/4 I dont like to let any of my trucks get below that. I havent swapped the starter yet. I have a new one coming at the end of the week. You need basic troubleshooting and mechanical skills to own any military truck. Or a deep pocket to pay someone else to do it.

jgallanar

I'd like to do most of the work myself and learn as I go. Obviously the gearing, transmission and other larger items I'd pay someone. I just want to make the vehicle reliable so we can go on adventures and know that we won't be stranded. I will have my motorcycle at all times to ensure a ride out of the woods :)

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Maintenance is important. I changed filters and fluids when I got mine and looked everything over. I chose the one I drive because it got a reman motor in 2012. It runs nicer than the same truck I have with a 90's motor in it. They are older vehicles and will have quirks. Electrical workarounds are easy if it wont start other than the trans ecu.

MaiNiaK

I won mine for $5,500 after auction fees and shipping. I have just over $9,200 in mine. I would have saved a lot of money if I had known the condition of my truck because I could have drove it home, even at 6 mpg. The only things wrong with mine was the passenger door won't open, there were some bolts missing on the heater/blower unit and one nut missing on the mirror on the drivers door. (Nothing that would have stopped me from driving it)

My truck had 9,982 miles on it when I got it. When I had it commercially inspected, they went all over my truck. They jacked it up and literally checked everything. The inspecting mechanic told me "other then it's age the truck is just like new, with no noticeable wear." Everything works, heater, hydrolic unit, lights, horn, CTIS, and dosn't register any air loss during an air loss test of the air brakes.

I do need some new fan belts, they just started squeaking occasionally.

As for changing out the transmission fluids. The 2 filters can be bought on ebay for around $50. After checking Allisons specs on fluid. http://www.utxchange.com/pdfs/MechanicsTips/MT2923EN.pdf (a lot of useful info in this pdf) I found some dextron 3 fluid that meets or exceeds Allison specs (listed on the labeling) for $80 per 5 gallon bucket. If you let your truck warm up though they shift just fine.

My air filter looked brand new. All fluids appear recent also.

The vehicle condition report on my truck said it needed to be jumped to start and would not start again without a jump start. However this was not the case. The truck fired right up for Bikeman when he removed it from the lot to take it to a local loading ramp for me.

I hope this info help,
William

Ukraine Train

So I've had mine for about 5 or 6 weeks now and so far so good. I've taken it out only once per week to go to the local car cruise with my kids but I'm getting ready to move my machine shop so it'll start seeing heavy use for that. I'm glad you guys mentioned the transmission fluid because my truck is slow to shift until it warms up. I need to check the condition of the fluid and maybe change it.

Lmtv772

Banned
So I've had mine for about 5 or 6 weeks now and so far so good. I've taken it out only once per week to go to the local car cruise with my kids but I'm getting ready to move my machine shop so it'll start seeing heavy use for that. I'm glad you guys mentioned the transmission fluid because my truck is slow to shift until it warms up. I need to check the condition of the fluid and maybe change it.
Does she do Hard shifts... late, in the upper RPM's?

MaiNiaK

This pdf covers the transmission in or M1078's. It lists all the different fluids that are used in these transmissions and the temperature rating of each fluid. It also states that Allison recommends the use of a ( C-4 ) Dexron3 fluid for our MD 3070pt transmission.
http://www.utxchange.com/pdfs/MechanicsTips/MT2923EN.pdf
image.jpg

This link is for the fluid I speak of. Scroll down in the description, it says it's good for Allison transmissions using ( C-4 ) dexron 3. It's actually $70.99
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ap?ck=Search_N0471_-1_4518&pt=N0471&ppt=C0207

I had inflated the cost of the transmission filters aswell. Here's a link for them. $35 with free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allison-tra...083-/271677563675?hash=item3f413ea31b&vxp=mtr

So 3, 5 gallon buckets of fluid, to be on the safe side, and a set of filters.
$247.97 plus tax.

Last edited:

Ukraine Train

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
24v is low. Open the cab with the engine running and there are 2 lights on the alt regulator. One each for 12 and 24 volt. Flashing green means they are working properly. If its not right then get the multimeter out and start taking readings at the regulator, alternator output and at the batteries.
Will

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You might have the 200a alternator then. Where is your reverse polarity protection box? Under the spare tire or under the coolant reservoir?