• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking Up an M35A2 - Need Leg Room!

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey All,
I'm going to pick up an A2 here in about a week from New Mexico. So I've got about a 1300 mile drive back. I'm 6'4 and about 280, and I was thinking if there was some quick and easy ways of making some leg room to operate the pedals?

I have some ideas in mind once I get the truck back here and have some time to do it, but it would be great to have at least some much needed extra room for the trip back.

Does anyone know how hard it is to adjust the pedals down? I've tried to find some posts about it, and it sounds easy and quick enough, but didn't see any real details or photos.

Also I've read that you can remove the screws holding the steering column in place, move the entire column up, drill new holes and put the screws back in. But again, I didn't really find any photos or specifics about what is needed to do this, and I'm not exactly sure about what screws/bolts they are talking about. Are they located on the fire wall, or...???

I've also read about changing the 20" steering wheel with the 18" wheel from an A3 would give me an extra couple inches. However this truck does not yet have power steering, and I've also read that this is not recommended to do, unless you add the air assist steering first.

Also not sure how much time any of these would take. I'm taking a train out there, so I could only take a few tools with me in my luggage. But once there, I could buy a few cheap tools if needed.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
Thanks Everyone!

goodguyzy

Being that tall the best thing and faster fix is the seat. I'm only 5' 10" and have to peer under the windshield. My two cent is to yank the seat and put in a civy bucket that is about 3" lower.

camoyj7

I would take out the foam from the back of the seat. I did this when I drove my deuce home (250 miles) and it made driving so much better.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being that tall the best thing and faster fix is the seat. I'm only 5' 10" and have to peer under the windshield. My two cent is to yank the seat and put in a civy bucket that is about 3" lower.

You mean like the seat that is in your avatar? :lol::lol::lol:

In all seriousness, I have thought about changing the seat at some point. But I'm taking the train out there, so I couldn't take a seat with me. Not sure about finding one once I get there. I'll keep this in mind though, just in case.
Thanks for the idea[thumbzup]

Last edited:

bjsmith

im 6'3 260 and i can tell you i fit better with box seat in my deuce now instead of the springer that was in my old one but the ride was better with springer

A

A/C Cages

900 steering wheel is a little smaller and helps with the legroom too. Its a easy switchout too.

PROSTOCKTOM

You could always take the seat out and use a 5-gallon bucket upside down with a nice cushion on it. :smile: It would probably be more comfortable than those Army seats. I'm with you though I'm only 5'11" and there's not enough room in the cab for me either.

I have been exploring the idea of strecthing the cab on mine, but doing it very tasteful so that you really can't notice it and give me the extra room for nice air ride seats.

I'm going to build a new bobber soon and adding a couple inches to the doors and then a couple inches to the rear of the cab. I haven't really got into this project 100% yet, so the final lengths to be added aren't in stone yet,but I know there is room to do this and make it look very nice. I'm not after a super cab or extended look just a little tweaking to make it like the cab should have been built.

Then I might go all out and put electric windows in it.

Tom

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I put bucket seats out of a Dodge Neon in my M109 and it rode great.

I got a set cheap at a body shop that rebuilt Neons.

The quick way to install buckets in a deuce is to use all thread rod (9/16ths is good).

You can cut it long and use a nut and washer under the seat frame to adjust for height. Cut off the excess one you are happy with the height.

Once you get your height right you can use some galvanized pipe as sleeves around the all thread....this makes it more stable and keeps it from leaning.

Use large flat washers under the seat frame for added stability....use flat washers and lock washers on the top to hold everything tight.

Hope this helps.

plym49

I'm 6'5" and this is what I did to not only make my Deuce drivable, but comfortable.

With a 9/16" wrench you can adjust the pedals down. I lowered them to the 'lowest' notch. Someone on the forum said he went even lower my grinding new notches but I did not find that to be necessary.

Next, remove the complete seat back. All of it. Every single bit of it needs to go bye bye.

Then, I took a good Army blanket folded longways and I folded it over the cab framework. That is my back cushion. I have never found it uncomfortable. On a real long drive, I find the seat bottom is a bit on the hard side, so you could always sit on the end of the Army blanket.

Believe it or not, this is all it took for me to be really comfortable. I have inches between my stomach and the wheel but I am only 250.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'm 6' GETTING close to 200, never had a problem getting comfortable., except for my hips, then a bunch of GOODIES powders takes care of that

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm 6'5" and this is what I did to not only make my Deuce drivable, but comfortable.

With a 9/16" wrench you can adjust the pedals down. I lowered them to the 'lowest' notch. Someone on the forum said he went even lower my grinding new notches but I did not find that to be necessary.

Next, remove the complete seat back. All of it. Every single bit of it needs to go bye bye.

Then, I took a good Army blanket folded longways and I folded it over the cab framework. That is my back cushion. I have never found it uncomfortable. On a real long drive, I find the seat bottom is a bit on the hard side, so you could always sit on the end of the Army blanket.

Believe it or not, this is all it took for me to be really comfortable. I have inches between my stomach and the wheel but I am only 250.
That seems like a easy enough plan, and I do have some army blankets laying around here too. I think I'll pack one in my luggage, and this may just be the ticket for a nice drive back home. I may make some other adjustments too, especially once I get the truck back here at home base. But this seems like one part that I might just leave. Thanks for the Tip [thumbzup]

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could always take the seat out and use a 5-gallon bucket upside down with a nice cushion on it. :smile: It would probably be more comfortable than those Army seats. I with you though I'm only 5'11" and there's not enough room in the cab for me either.

I have been exploring the idea of strecthing the cab on mine, but doing it very tasteful so that you really can't notice it and give me the exta room for nice air ride seat.

I'm going to build a new bobber soon and adding a couple inches to the doors and then a couple inches to the rear of the cab. I haven't really got into this project 100% yet, so the final lengths to be added aren't in stone yet,but I know there is room to do this and make it look very nice. I'm not after a super cab or extended look just a little tweaking to make it like the cab should have been built.

Then I might go all out and put electric windows in it.

Tom
I like your seat idea :lol: A 5 gallon bucket, duct tape, and some wire, and we can do about anything, right :lol:

Anyway, yeah it would be great if the cab was just made bigger. But I'm not going to modify it to that extent. I did have a thought about cutting and dropping the floor board, but I'd really only do that if it become a must.
Would like to see some pics of your truck when you get it tweaked though.
Thanks!

Last edited:

plym49

That seems like a easy enough plan, and I do have some army blankets laying around here too. I think I'll pack one in my luggage, and this may just be the ticket for a nice drive back home. I may make some other adjustments too, especially once I get the truck back here at home base. But this seems like one part that I might just leave. Thanks for the Tip [thumbzup]
You actually need two 9/16" to get the pinch bolts on the pedals loose. A good pair of vice grips or water pump pliers to twist the pedal shafts free, and perhaps a small can of Liquid Wrench. Some rags. And a bungee cord or paracord to tie the pedals in the down position from underneath can make it easier. For the seat back, I think it was just common hand tools - I don't remember for sure so perhaps someone will chime in - but I think it was like 7/16 or 3/8 open end and a shorty Phillips; that kind of stuff to get the seat back out. The Liquid Wrench will come in handy also if the seat spring (rebound) adjuster is slightly froze.

Bolkbich

The first thing i do when i get a truck is pull the foam out of the seat back. The metal pan is concave. Much more comfortable, it wraps around your back. It adds quite a bit of leg room. Im 6' and 220.

A

A/C Cages

I just noticed that most of us 6 foot or taller, 200 pound or more guys all drive the most cramped up spaced deuces..lol

Im 6'-4" 303#s I fit ok behind the wheel, but wear your gun on your side and never in the paddle holster in your midback.. Those in the back get caught up in the springer seats and hurt like heck trying to get yourself unstuck. Most times I wear mine in my Miami holster but on hot days I still put it on the side.

When my bobber is done being made, Im installing a 900 steering wheel to give myself a little more room along with air ride seats from a KW semi.

Broke Down

i'm 6'3" 270lbs and i just took the padding off the back of my seat (non springer) and that did the trick. i'm going to be on the look out for an A3 steering wheel also, i could use another inch or so.

Awesome Possum

i'm 6'3" 270lbs and i just took the padding off the back of my seat (non springer) and that did the trick. i'm going to be on the look out for an A3 steering wheel also, i could use another inch or so.
Same here (but shorter). I took the foam out but used a couple of layers of foam sleeping pad to it. Did this as a temp fix and it's still there two years later. I think I duct taped it on. Don't cut off the seat back if it's a spring seat though as I imagine it'd be painful.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks