• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up Sat

Rmtaunton

Had a very successful recovery with very few issues , leaking airline from rubbing against clamp , just cut it and put on a compression fitting clamp , and then we were off. Deuce had two oil leaks , one just misting at rear main , which turned to a drip then sealed itself , ( whew was worried about it getting worse) another looks like from hh but very minor. Finally got to interstate after an hour moving through the steepest and curviest mountain roads I have ever been on. Pulled in to gas station to to a pre trip again and everything is great, except for the plush well done seat cover/back rest, had to take that off as at over six feet my elbows were at 90 degrees. Threw a heavy jacket over metal frame and wow 8 extra inches and now I am comfy. So we topped of truck and deuce and diesel treatment , and off again , oh no dash lights are dead and can't see instillment panel! Good news was the bulb for the brights Was working and swapped it for tac light. Back on interstate 77 lots of hills through the appalachains , WOW she is holding 2300 rpms up every hill at 58-60 with 395's . First thought was yay, then oh crap this thing must have fuel cranked to do that on these hills and no egt or boost gauges. So I pull off interstate let her idle for ever in case temp gauge was wrong as she held 160 always. Talked to Craig ( friend driving my chase truck) and asked how much smoke I was blowing and he said none . I go to look to see how many threads showing and viola it's capped with a cable and clamped ( the little cap onerous the adjusting screw, have never seen that in all my research) so we jump back in hit interstate got her , to sixty up hill pulled off ramp and as fast I could jumped out and put IR on turbo 760 degrees (yay again). So we motor on 50 miles later stop to grab a bight. The front hubs 67 and 69 , the rears ranged from 85 to 95 all good again and 282 miles to go. After a wonderful IHOP dinner, do anther pre trip, jump in and click! Try again and , Varoom. Tired and with lots oh coffee and no cup holder we head on 50 miles later head lights flickering on every bump, pull over. Geesch battery terminal was loose and raked enough to melt battery post in half ! Being there was no way to reattach it normally and miles from an exit , drilled a hole through cable clamp and what was left of battery post after it melted and drilled in large self tapper. Varoom! ! Home at 3:34 am and face is still sore from smiling all the way home on 420 mile recovery well 900 for my 350 as we did a circle first picking up a spare from G , thank you again !!!

So, all in all I couldn't have wished for a better recovery all simple fixes and beautiful weather oh and no calling the three transport companies I had lined up. Wonderfully recovery wonderful adventure!

Oh. And as I am wondering if she has to be an lds , as the fuel has not been turned up and held 2300 on every hill . There is no data plate on motor so I will start researching

Still smiling , and pictures soon to come when I load tomorrow

Robert Taunton , 53cj3b, 72 cj6, and 91 yj owner now a deuce owner ( the biggest jeep)

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats! for finally having your new toy at home. And hats off, for how this recovery mission was well prepared and accomplished!
Nice to read success stories like this one!

... Now we want the photos!!

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks