• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of Super Singles

spicergear

M1075 said:
Tom, glad you are okay. Too bad you weren't driving the duece! That 5ton winch might have plowed the way.

MC, I agree. I'll keep my XMLs over NDCCs anyday.
Thanks man! I had a guy run a stop sign in a Geo 4dr one time and drive into the side of my M715 while I was doing about 35mph. He hit me square in the side, like I looked down out of my door window down through his windshield, then KA-BLAM! I got kicked sideways then recovered it and got stopped in a neighboring yard. I got a slow leak from a slice into the sidewall of a 37" TSL Bogger. There was nothing...and I mean NOTHIN', front of the front edge of his front tires. Bumper, rad/support, front of fenders...all that jazz GONE. There was even half a battery still hooked up. It looked like the car had been sheared off. Just sitting there annihilated drooling tranny fluid from a ripped off line and belching out anti freeze from the hose torn off the motor. It was awesome! The guy was beat up but not seriously hurt. He said to me, "don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad of all the vehicles on this road I hit you and not something I could have hurt someone in." So I, being the jackass that I am, say back to him...for fun-factor of course, "you know...if you would have been two seconds sooner I'd've "T" boned you and driven you out through your door like cheese through chicken wire." [^] You could follow the guys visualization of that until the color ran out of him...I thought the dude was gonna go into shock. Man I'm mean. :devil:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spicergear, looking back at your pictures, those grooves seem very wide. I expected the siping to leave tight slits that are not even open until they hit the pavement. Did you use a regular siping tool?
I'll get mine, possibly, later today and will show the result from it as soon as possible.

Thanks for those great images of your awesome truck!

spicergear

Cranetruck, there's a night and day difference between siping and grooving. Grooving actually takes to depth cuts out of the tire/physically removes amounts of rubber. Siping is just slitting the tread with, usually, a siping machine. Siping is great for wet traction and rock guys have been using it for a while for all it's little added biting edges.

1ton

If the siping doesn't work out good enough for you, you could try the Michelin XDHT, its more of an on road tire than an off road but still has an aggresive tread. They only problem is you need 22.5 rims but the M105A3's have 22.5 rims it isn't a huge problem as long as you can find some. If the width si betwen 7.50 and 8.25 the will fit, if you want to go that route. Good luck maxing out with a duece with a max speed of 75mph, and they are designed for high traction in wet conditions.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok Spicergear, yeah, I'm only interested in "siping". What you'll find on Sperry deck shoes. Seems that they are using grooving and siping to mean the same thing. I get a lot more hits on Google with grooving , but I see what you mean.

I plan to sipe the front tires, which are almost new (7,000 miles on them). The rears are probably too far gone (they were bought used).

Spent some time on the phone with Titan Tire Company yeterday and nobody can commit to the max speed rating of the NDCC tire. The best answer so far is that the tires were desiged for the military trucks and that they should be good for the max speed of the trucks plus some margin of safety. Max speed for the deuce w/single 1100"s is 62 mph, so that should put the tire at 65-70 with normal load. Tom Bauer has been running his deuce (Cat powered) at more than 70 mph for thousands of miles, probably not the right tire for his truck (now sold).

Meanwhile I'll be looking for radials and the Goodyear Unisteel G-177 look like they are available at a reasonable cost with a respectable rough on/off highway tread.
I have seen some on GL too (Texarcana next month).
I'll be putting them on the trailer too since it's part of the braking circuit. That would be nine tires w/spare.

Michelins are out of my price range, for sure.

Thank you all for your inputs (Spicergear, Mcinfantry, 1ton and M1075 in particular)!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just looking at those wheels. I just don't see the double bead locks at all. Is there some type of beadlock that doesn't use bolts to lock the bead of the tire to the rim? I'm familiar with beadlocks as we use them in racing but I just don't see these.
Kenny

spicergear

Kenny, see his 4th pic 'CIMG1032?' See that ring of bolts deep in the can at the wheel center? That wheel is actually two halves that bolt together. You put a big heavy Rubber or PVC insert inside you tire, then flop it down over one wheel half. You then drop the other half in and bolt the halves together. As you pull them together with that ring of 32 bolts, the insert on the INSIDE of the tire gets the beads squished against it by the rim compressing on the outside of the bead. Follow? So it is a true double beadlock, but doesn't look like a hummer or 5 ton double bead lock.

HEY M1075... in you're first pic it looks like your passenger side front tire is canted out a little more at the top then the other side. Is that smoke and mirror camera optics? Good lookin' rig man!!!

M1075

Kenny-

As SpicerGear described, these double beadlocks are internal. I found a pic and attached it. These thick rubber inserts are used by the Army on all heavy trucks. Jeepers sometimes use large PVC pipe and cut slices off for inserts. O rings are used to make the seal between the two halves.

Wick246

I'm a little worried about spare tire placement with 46" tires. Would one fit horizontally where Gerhard put his? I don't have a truck yet to see frame and drive line clearances under there.

1ton

You can't see them b/c this was all posted before the forum meltdown and rebulid. While most of the old stuff was recovered, the attachments and pictures were unrecoverable. In short you don't see them and neither does anyone else b/c they aren't there anymore.

yorkgulch

m35a3 singles

Has anyone tried using m35a3 singles. If so are there any problems with them and are they available any place? If not I would like to find a DOT approved wheel The ones from usa6x6 look pretty good but don't know if they are DOT approved.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yorkgulch,

in my opinion the A3 singles are the perfect size for the deuce: 43" o.d., 14" o.w. (14.5R20 or 365/80R20 MPT on 2 pc 11x20 wheels).
The only problems: impossible to find used and very expensive new, same for the wheels. Not many options: Michelin XZL, Continental MPT 80 and 81, Dunlop ??, Semperit ??.
I'm adding pics of my old '52 M35 Reo running on new singles (Conti MPT80).

Good luck!

Attachments

FSBruva

yorkgulch-

A3 wheels are hard to come by, for sure. And with the ongoing conflict, Michelin has stopped it's special deal of allowing members of MVPA to purchase the XZL and other standard military tires.

As I recall, there aren't any DOT approved beadlock rims for the deuce. In fact, I think there is only one pair of DOT approved beadlocks on the market, and they are 15 x 8 for a Jeep.

If you're so concerned with DOT compliance... consider - a deuce doesn't have the appropriate lighting for a truck her size, and the stock NDT tires are not DOT approved, nor are they speed rated.

If anyone knows better or can add, please pipe up.

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks