• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of Trip to Jack's Gov Surplus

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack's been there since the 70's. He's about 1/2 mile from the Pima Air & Space Museum on Drexel road. I've got my eye on a couple of the gems myself.

When I go back in a couple weeks to work on my new deuce and bring it home, I'll get many more pics.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
WOW!!! Thanks for taking the time to take and share these pics! [thumbzup]

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow I have driven right by that place since as you say it is on Dexter. I was probably too busy checking out the mothballed planes. That part of the country is the perfect place to have a junkyard as things really don't rust out there they just bleach.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. Thanks for all the pics. They were great! I've got to make a business trip to Chandler, I may have to make a side trip.

pa.rich

Thanks for all the pics Kevin. So he only sells the entire units? I saw a couple of dumps that sre would have been good for parts. The other thing that impressed me is how well the older units look from the dry weather there? If they were stored outside up in the northeast they would be rotted away ! Some of those older trucks looked as good as a 10 year old or 30 year old. The CCKW's for example, wow I wish that stuff was closer.And the type of equipment and bodies on those units were items I have never seen before. Thanks again, we love the pictures. Rich.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I lived near by the trucks would be rusty. There just no way they could stay that nice with me drooling all over them.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey gang,

Well, I bought one of the trucks from jack this morning. I bought a Telephone Maintenance truck V17A/MTQ. Truck is complete with platform/guards, poles, winches. It's not the yellow one in the picture, It's another one that's in great condition as well. It's also has the Comet 330. I'll be posting pictures of it in a couple weeks.

I'm glad you've all enjoyed the pictures. For me, spending the day there is like going to a vacation resort. Like I said, I'll be back at Jack's in about 2 weeks, I'll work my way though the other 4 yards and get more pictures. I did'nt get a picture of my own new M35A2 truck - DOHHH :shock: . He has lots of trailers of every flavor as well. I'll get some shots of those.

Rich, there are alot of parts trucks there as well, don't know what he's doing with them, call him - 520-574-0300

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, thats funny. I was just getting ready to PM you to beg you for a detailed photo collection of the V17A/MTQ for a project I'm working on. Guess if you own the truck it will be even easier for me to coax you into it! What are my chances Kevin?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd guess $20K or so. Helicopters in any state of completion are worth their weight in gold. Even if they don't run. Remember though, the Choctaws were piston driven, not turbine. Not that much lift.

citizensoldier

I am just totally blown away by this yard. I have seen yards with good stuff in them but the amount of rare trucks this guy has is just out of this world. I see so many trucks that should be in a museum all restored. I see about 400 epasodes of a military truck restoration show! Thats it! moving to Arizona tired of these Michigan rust buckets! rofl
Kursplat! some more drool on the floor.. Thank you , thank you ,thank you you have given me hope for the future of MVing. So many yards are cutting and crushing rare stuff right now I have a hard time sleeping. I now sleep in peace.. I have you to thank for that. Has Doyle seen that Navy crane? What did they make about 40 of those? I will have to check last months :jumpin: MV mag...

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack is not the cheepest in the world and he is not a fan of selling parts. He does have a passion for military vehicles and he is a Vet. His prices are not out of line but he is not giving stuff away either, and as you can see he has LOTS of cool and odd stuff. He is a VERY nice guy to talk with and loves to show off his stuff. I wish he would put more help on the payroll so he could get some of that stuff proccessed and rebuilt. OH yea NO RUST HERE either as most all the trucks are from the southwest.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks