• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of Trip to Jack's Gov Surplus

Kaiserjeeps

I purchased a 68 M715 from Jack many years ago. I drove it home from Tucson to Portland when I lived there. That was one of the best adventures ever. And yes Jack is a super nice guy. Same with his son Josh. I had to sell my truck roughly 7 years ago. Oddly enough 6 months ago I get an email from Fisherman with a picture of a M715 in a guys garage up in Seattle asking me if this was my old truck. Heck yes it was and it was just great to see it. Then jump forward to 4 days ago. I am looking AT Spokane CL and I'll be...
I could swear the truck in the add was the one I put together only about an hour away from me now. I email the guy and ask if it is Number 30945 delivery of 11/68. He writes back and says yes it is! He is changing all the running gear out for modern stuff for the guy in Seattle. The guy an hour away knows Jack and invited me to come take a look at my old truck. In a day or two I am heading down to see my old M715 and give the guy hundreds of build pics including picking it out at Jacks and show him the centerfold from FSJ magazine. It kills me to see it loose it's original parts and I spent several hours trying to figure out if I could make an offer on it and get it back. It just was not in the cards. Besides, when you sell and it leaves, just can't care what the new owner does. What a great time all of that was years ago. Seeing it will bring back some good memories. Pretty interesting how it resurfaced twice lately.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am pretty sure Jack died a few years back. I have seen some of his vehicles on Armyjeeps.net and GL. Is anyone continuing on this business? This has not been bought out by a scraper right :(

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am pretty sure Jack died a few years back. I have seen some of his vehicles on Armyjeeps.net and GL. Is anyone continuing on this business? This has not been bought out by a scraper right :(
Sure you aren't thinking of Jack Tomlin?

Eaglhawk

Wow, I am surprised to see so many people on this thread confusing Jack Tomlin (Tooele, Utah) for Jack and his son (This surplus yard thread)(Tucson, Arizona). I worked with Jack Tomlin before he passed away and helped Bob (executor) with Mike and John to liquidate the contents... Most of the yard was scrapped (Not my call)(If prices were dropped, most everything could have been sold and more money made for the estate in my opinion.) I managed to purchase a few trucks, trailers, lots of sideboards, tires, leaflet bombs, artillery rounds and one de-milled 105mm recoil-less rifle. (My heart sank when we sent around 60 de-milled 75mm and 105mm recoil-less rifles to the scrapyard...).. Anyways I have not been to Jack and his sons yard in Tucson, Az. I need to arrange a trip to see this yard which seems from Google maps to be several times the size of Jack Tomlin's old yards. I wonder if the 2 Jack's knew each other?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was there with 98G several months ago; Jack was out front working on his Dodge truck, we stopped to chat, and he invited us into his yard for a tour. Great guy, LOTS of stuff!! CUCVs galore and more....even have some newer M923s and other 939-series trucks in one of his yards.

Great guy, very friendly and easy to chat with. He mentioned that the county is starting to ramp up efforts to get him & other salvage/industrial yards to relocate or liquidate.